12-04-2013 10:35 PM
81 1234
tools
    Well we didn't get Multi view and a few other things but we did get the following: write on calendar, handwriting emails, pop up browser, google now & a smoother interface.

After I got over the initial disappointment of not getting multi window, and after my phone stablized, I will say I'm glad I updated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 11:02 AM
    How do you access Google Now? I know how to do it on my Nexus 7, but not on my Galaxy Note SGH-i717.
    05-10-2013 07:43 PM
    How do you access Google Now? I know how to do it on my Nexus 7, but not on my Galaxy Note SGH-i717.
    Long press home button and you will see three buttons at the bottom of your screen. It's the middle button. You can also place a shortcut (The blue Google icon) on you home screen. I placed the shortcut on the app bar so I always have easy access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    05-10-2013 07:57 PM
    I think I will too. Besides, my Note battery dies in 4 hours and I always have to change batteries.
    05-10-2013 08:03 PM
    If you disable voice talk, then long press the magnifying glass (one to the right), it will give you the option to set that for google (and that is google now).
    05-10-2013 09:45 PM
    I went to do the upgrade yesterday and when it got to the part where it was supposed to install the update, a little message popped up with something in a different language. When I clicked ok it just stopped the update. Any ideas?
    05-11-2013 09:15 AM
    This update eats battery up...not only that. My phone is now soooooo slow I want to scream. Can I revert to previous version or does anyone have advice? My phone is stock not rooted and everything updated via Kies....but it is not good for me at all
    05-14-2013 10:38 PM
    Whoa, that's sucks. Sorry to hear. I'm glad I didn't update.
    05-15-2013 03:35 PM
    This update eats battery up...not only that. My phone is now soooooo slow I want to scream. Can I revert to previous version or does anyone have advice? My phone is stock not rooted and everything updated via Kies....but it is not good for me at all
    Did you do a factory reset after updating?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    Joan Bandy and tube517 like this.
    05-15-2013 04:16 PM
    Please explain what you mean by "when your phone stabilized". I recently updated my Note to Jelly Bean, and it seems to run slower than before. Is this normal? Will it eventually run faster?
    05-16-2013 10:41 AM
    Yes it will return to normal function. After an update the media scanner has to read your media again. It usually takes 2 or 3 days to fully stabilize. My phone has had the update since the night before the official release and it works wonderfully now.
    05-16-2013 08:39 PM
    I've owned a Samsung Captivate (SGH-i897), and a Samsung Infuse 4G (SGH-i997), and now an unusual situation has come-up whereby I'm going to be getting a brand new Galaxy Note (SGH-i717) so inexpensively that I can't pass it up and hold-out for the price of the Note II to come down once the Note III comes out. And that's cool, because the truth is that I kinda' like the Note better than the Note II. Go figure.

I'm 56 years old, and pushing 40 years in IT and high-tech management consulting; and so, as you can imagine, I always make sure that I know everything there is to know about any device I own. Even though I only found-out yesterday that I was going to get a new Note, I've already gotten up-to-speed on at least everything I need to know about doing an OS upgrade (it was easy, 'cause it's basically the same information I needed to know to OS upgrade both the Captivate and the Infuse), so I believe I can really help you folks, here in this thread, regarding OS upgrading the Note... yes, even though I haven't even gotten mine yet. Seriously. Trust me on this. I really do know.

The first and most important thing you need to know about any Samsung/AT&T OS upgrade is that the both Samsung and AT&T engineers do all their testing on phones exactly as they originally shipped from the factory; or, if there's already been an OS update, then they test on phones as shipped from the factory, and then OS updated before installing anything else on the phone. In other words, the never test on phones that have been in use for a while, and have had a bunch of apps and stuff installed on them. So that they always have a known starting point for all tests, all phones used for testing are always, always, always as shipped from the factory.

You wouldn't believe how important that is to know, because what it basically tells you is that before you go using Kies Mini to do an OS upgrade, you first need to get your phone back to the way it came shipped from the factory; or, if it's had previous updates, then back to the factory state for that particular previous update.

Some of you are complaining about your Note being slow after an update: That's because you didn't reset your phone back to factory state before doing the update. I've seen it a gabazillion times. Resetting the phone back to factory state immediately before performing an OS update also helps with the whole business of the phone "stabilizing" on account of the media scanner. I'm sorry... I don't mean to offend, but that whole business of taking a few days to "stabilize" is just hokum, anyway. Android phones don't work that way. Everything, regarding all aspects of the phone, is always pretty immediate. But even if it weren't; even if, in fact, there were some kind of weird three-day "stabilization" thing going on, factory resetting the phone immediately before doing an OS update would completely eliminate the need for something like that. Fortunately, since no three-day "stabilization" period is needed, regardless, it's all moot. Sorry. Again, don't mean to offend.

And when I say that one needs to factory reset immediately before doing an OS update, I mean immediately... as in, do the reset, and then immediately -- before configuring the phone, or installing anything on it, or using it -- do the OS update. No delays. Think of the factory reset, and the OS update as being, in effect, just two steps of the same process.

And by "factory reset," I mean a "GSM reset" (or what some call an "E2P Full" reset, on the Note), and not the kind of reset you can do by either pressing the right buttons in the phone settings area, or holding the power and volume rocker buttons. Those resets aren't "big" enough. You need to do a full "GSM" (or "E2P") reset. More on that in a moment; first, more preparation.

Before doing a reset, of course, you need to get everything off the phone that you might want to keep, because a GSM reset wipes the phone clean... and I mean really clean... exactly the way it was when it shipped from the factory. But since that step involves connecting the phone to the PC, first make sure that your Windows machine has the "Device(Install), USB Driver (Software) (ver.v1.5.14.0)" that's available on this web page (click on the "See All Downloads" link, then, scroll down a little and click on the "Software" link that's to the right of the "Manuals" link, and you'll see it there). Download and install it, then, again, reboot the computer, being patient to let it fully boot-up before doing any thing else on it... let the hard drive light settle down.

Now, back to the phone: If you have a good backup app on the phone, use it. Be sure to back-up ringtones, settings, emails, texts, contacts, side-loaded APK files... absolutely EVERYTHING that's on that phone, either in the internal storage, or the 13 or so gigabytes of the non-removable pseudo-external storage (part of the 16GB) that comes with the phone, and also any storage you may have on a 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32GB truly external storage card. Connect the phone to the USB port of your computer and put it into file transfer mode and bygod get every last thing you can think of off of it, and onto your PC's local hard drive, in a backup folder of some kind, before you do the GSM reset!

Once you get the phone backed-up to your PC, disconnect the phone from the PC, and then reboot the PC. Wait for it to fully finish rebooting; don't rush it. Let the hard drive light calm down.

Then, if you have any version, at all, of KIES or KIES MINI installed on your PC, use something like REVO UNINSTALLER's strongest mode to fully uninstall all copies of KIES. Then reboot the machine again, again being patient and letting the hard drive light calm down so it's really and truly fully done booting up.

Make sure that you have -- if you still have it, and haven't lost it -- the original USB cable that came with the phone. If you don't, then at least make sure that whatever USB cable you use is either Samsung branded, or is guaranteed to be an absolute duplicate of the Samsung-branded USB cable; but do not plug it into either the phone or the PC yet.

Make sure that the battery in your phone is fully -- and I mean fully -- charged.

Just to play things safe, pause, and re-think through your phone backup procedure and make triple-net sure that you've bygod gotten every last thing that you could possibly need off of it. Remember that your Google Play store apps are all available to you to re-download once the phone's been updated; and the same should be true for Amazon apps. But if you've ever side-loaded one from some other site, then make sure you can either get at it again from said site, or make sure you back-up the APK file. Just make sure, one last time, that there's bygod nothing left on that phone that you're gonna' need, 'cause the GSM reset's gonna' blow it to smithereens! Just just take a moment.

Make sure, again, that the phone's battery is fully charged.

Make sure that the SIM card is in the phone.

Make sure that whatever external SD card you normally keep in the phone is, in fact, in the phone.

When you're certain that you can safely GSM reset the phone, here's how to do it:

Open the phone dialer like you're gonna make a call.

Dial this, exactly: *2767*3855#

The instant you dial that last pound sign (#), the phone will begin the GSM reset. DO NOT INTERRUPT IT. Set the phone down so you don't accidentally touch something. Just be patient while it does its thing!

When it boots back up, don't be too quick to start responding to it. Just let it sit on the table or desk for a little while and let it fully boot. After waiting a minute or so longer than you might have had I not just told you to, try to bypass all the questions the phone asks you when it's factory new... you know... your GMAIL address and whatever else. Just try to drop out of all that by pressing the "back" button however many times you need to to finally be dropped to the phone's centermost home screen.

Now, and only now, is your phone finally ready to have the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS update applied to it.

To do that, go to this web page...

How do I update my Samsung Galaxy Note to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean? : AT&T Cell Phones | Samsung

...and follow the instructions exactly... and I mean EXACTLY: Do not deviate one single bit from any part of it!

When you finish, your phone should reboot to a pristine, factory-new 4.1.2 Jelly Bean version. It should be fast, factory-fresh, and with no problems.

If the phone shipped from the factory with 4.1 Ice Cream Sandwich on it, so that this 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is the first one you've tried using KIES, then it should go smoothly and work fine. However, if you bought the phone with 2.3 Gingerbread on it, and have already done one update to 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, then there's a possibility that your GSM reset won't really get the phone back to the same "factory" state as a phone that actually shipped from the factory with 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on it... especially if you didn't do a GSM reset first, before doing the earlier 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwish update.

If there are problems, yet everything happened as it was supposed to during the KIES installation and Jelly Bean update, then there's probably something wrong which re-performing all of the above steps probably won't fix... especially, again, if this 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is actually the second one you've done to the phone.

If there was a problem during the KIES Jelly Bean update, then it's possible the phone is now too squirrely to either use, or even to re-try the steps.

Both those things said, if something's wrong, then it certainly can't hurt to at least try repeating the process by first unplugging the USB cable from the PC and then rebooting the PC, and letting it fully boot back up, letting the hard drive light setting down.

Then GSM reset the phone again.

Then retry all the steps on this web page...

How do I update my Samsung Galaxy Note to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean? : AT&T Cell Phones | Samsung

...making extra sure that you really get them right this time...

...and see if it makes a difference. It probably won't, but what the heck: you can't now hurt the phone anymore than it already is.

If retrying everything somehow magically makes everything okay, then count your lucky stars. However, since it probably won't, then here's what you need to know: AT&T has special device support centers located all over the country. Most people, almost no matter where they are in the US, are no more than an hour to maybe three hours drive from one. And boy-oh-boy do the tecnicians there know what they're doing! It's nothing like some halfway-technician at some AT&T store or dealer store fidding with your phone and maybe getting it right, and maybe not. The technicians at any of the official AT&T device centers are world class... best-of-breed.

All you have to do is find the one nearest you, and take your Note to it. Tell 'em the steps you took, and what happened; and ask 'em to please just redo it all for you, and get the phone properly reset and updated to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.

Some centers will refuse to do updates; and, instead, will only put the phone back to the condition it was when it shippped from the factory. That's actually kinda' okay because at least it really and truly will be, as opposed to what the GSM reset does. It's a good place to start; and if that's all they'll do for you, then accept it and take the phone home and then re-try the above steps... including, yes, redoing the GSM reset, even though they already did the big brother of that at the device support center.

If you're lucky, though, the device support center people will completely fix the problem by first making the phone the way it was from the factory, then checking it out, then performing whatever updates it needs to finally get up to a pristine 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS version. And then they'll hand it back to you. And I believe you'll pay them nothing for any of it! Gotta' like that.

To find your nearest AT&T device support center, go to this web page...

Warranty exchange locations - AT&T Wireless Support*

...and then scroll down to "Step 3." Find your state, and then download the list of device support center locations, and find the one nearest you. Forget everything else on that page. Just do what I tell you here.

It all seems like a lot, I know; but only by following my steps, here, and being really anally retentive about it all, will your OS update to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean go pretty much okay. The likelihood that you'll need to go to an AT&T device support center is small, but at least you know it's there and available to you if you do. And, trust me, it's the safety net! Whatever's wrong will positively get fixed there. Fear not.

Youj're free, of course, to listen to other people, but I wouldn't. I've been through this with two previous Galaxy-class (wow, that sounds like Star Trek, doesn't it?) phones; and I've posted stuff like this in other forums and had people doubt me and, eventually, they all come back and apologize and thank me for giving them the only procedure that actually works. So, act accordingly.

To make sure that you get it absolutely right, re-read this posting a time or two. Don't skip a single step... not a single reboot of either PC or phone. Do everything exactly as I've here described, in exactly that order, skipping nothing, rushing nothing, interrupting nothing.

If you do, the statistical probability that you'll come back here and write something like, "ohmygod, Gregg, it worked, flawlessly; my phone's fast as greased lightening; and everything's really cool!

When you restore things to your phone, be careful not to restore any system or OS files. Just restore data, music, movies, whatever. Import contacts, stuff like that.

If you've previously ROOTed your phone, then all bets are off. Who knows if any of the above will work; and don't ask me questions about it if you're working from a phone that's ever been rooted. You rooted it, so you're on your own. Only if your phone has never been rooted (although it's probably okay if it's been unlocked) will I answer your questions, here.

So... [sigh]... let's see... have I left anything out? I don't think so.

Good luck.
    tube517, e lof and MelVel71 like this.
    05-18-2013 11:07 PM
    Delete
    05-19-2013 09:14 AM
    Holy crap that is a lot of work, first for you...and next for us. So I like the "go to ATT" advice best. Does this mean to an ATT store, and will they ensure everything on my phone is saved to the SD?

Then another reply asked if I had done a factory reset after updating...was that in the instructions? It sounds as if it wouldn't be the proper step anyway, based on your instructions though.

My phone never "stabilized" and I haven't a lot of media on it, so I am not sure there is much hope without redoing it all. Which I am not sure I want to go thru by myself. UGH

Thanks for going to all this trouble!!
    05-20-2013 11:13 AM
    Holy crap that is a lot of work, first for you...and next for us.
    Well, I've written it before, so at least some of it was just copy 'n paste.

And it's less work than you might think; but, whatever work it is is the kind of thing that technology, frankly, requires. The truth is that one must become at least a little bit anally retentive whenever they're doing some technological thing like this, else they have no right to expect good results. Forums like this are filled, for every Android phone model that's capable of an update like this, with posts by people who say it made their phone worse, or slow, or squirrely, or whatever; and, I promise you, that it was because they didn't break down and do what even I agree is sphincter-clenchingly stressful (for those not used to it) and irritatingly detailed steps to actually get some computer-related thing right. Half the tech guys out there making a living working on people's Windows and Mac computers aren't doing anything that the end-user couldn't have done if s/he had just had the patience and properly-anally-retentive attitude! [grin]

So I like the "go to ATT" advice best. Does this mean to an ATT store, and will they ensure everything on my phone is saved to the SD?
    No. I never said store. I was clear in what I wrote about it not being a store. It's an "AT&T Device Support Center," which is an entirely different animal; and I provided the link to find the page where you can see your state on a list and download the PDF file which shows you where are the AT&T device support centers in your state. It may be right in your town, or it may be half your state's length's or width's drive away. And, trust me, they don't care about your data or anything else. That's your responsibility, and they become irritated if you even bring it up. These are hard core technicians, there to help as many people sitting in those waiting room chairs as possible, and as fast as possible; each of them with sometimes very serious problems. They're not there to pussyfoot around and/or hold the customer's hand. They're there to plug the customer's phone into some very special both testing and remediation equipment and figure out what it needs, and then do to it whatever that happens to be. They hand back to people basically reset and tested/checked-out phones that are pretty much as they came from the factory, more or less, and then they send you on your way.

They used to even refuse to do updates (and many of them still do), but there have been so many people have their updates fail, or have KIES fail, that some AT&T device support center managers have decided to help people with their updates, too. Still, it's by no stretch of the imagination anything like an AT&T either factory or dealer store. No one smiles or is really all that nice, frankly. They just fix what's wrong and that's the end of it. If your data or any other information gets lost in the process, then tough tomatoes.

So then, bottom line, you still have to do the work of backing-up the phone to the Windows PC. No one should ever dare do an Android OS update/upgrade without fully backing-up everything; or, also, without doing a factory reset... preferably the biggest "GSM reset" kind.

Then another reply asked if I had done a factory reset after updating...was that in the instructions? It sounds as if it wouldn't be the proper step anyway, based on your instructions though.
    Certainly a factory reset -- preferably of the most serious "GSM reset" type that I described in my steps -- must be done just before (and I mean just before) performing the OS update via KIES. There are two other kinds of "factory" resets: One accessible from the phone's "settings" area, and the other which may be accessed by a certain way of holding-down both the power button and the volume rocker while the phone's powering-up...

...neither one of those methods I want anyone to do if they're following my instructions. What needs to be done is a true, harshest-of-the-reset-methods "GSM reset" doing the dial keypad presses that I described. So doing also sends a signal to AT&T's system which kinda' flushes-out a thing or two tied to both the phone's EIN number, and the account tied to the SIM card that's in the phone (if, in fact, there's one there), that could be slightly technically helpful when firing-up the phone under the new, updated/upgraded OS version. A GSM reset does not, though, change or hurt anything stored on the SIM card. It simply resets a couple of reallly minor -- and probably inconsequential -- things in the AT&T system tied to the phone's EIN, and also to its SIM if present. And, of course, it does those things in addition to basically wiping your phone and all of its both internal and external memory completely clean, and reformatting things, and resetting all apps back to original factory state, and making the phone think it just came fresh off the factory floor! That's what one needs to do before attempting any OS update/upgrade!

Now, as for doing one immediatelly after the OS update/upgrade using KIES... hmmm.... well, as long as you do it immediately after KIES is done, and you're sure that the phone's fully and correctly updated/upgrade, yet you haven't yet told the phone anything about yourself of your email address or your account or anything; and you've not yet transferred or keyed any date into the newly-updated/upgraded phone yet, then doing yet another GSM reset certainly couldn't hurt. It's not really necessary, though. Rebooting the phone, once KIES gets all the new OS files onto it, is part of the process; and when it finishes booting-up, it's ready for use. Believe it or not, powering-down the phone, then removing the battery from it, then waiting like a half hour, then putting the battery back in and powering it up again would almost be more beneficial; and for much the same kinds of reasons as I prescribed rebooting the Windows machine in preparation for the KIES update process.

Speaking of the battery, once the OS update/upgrade is done, the battery needs to be recalibrated in order for how much juice it allegedly does or doesn't have in it to be more or less accurate. It's a simple process which I can cover if anyone wants to do it. Let me know. But now I've digressed. Sorry.

My phone never "stabilized" and I haven't a lot of media on it, so I am not sure there is much hope without redoing it all. Which I am not sure I want to go thru by myself. UGH!
    Well, of course, the whole "stabilizing" thing -- especially it taking several days -- is just tantamount to witchcraft. There's no such thing. Just go ahead and get that one out of your head, right now. [grin]

If you've had what appears to be a failed update, then you're the perfect candidate for taking the phone to the AT&T device support center nearest you (even if it means having to cross over into a neighboring state) and just letting them bail you out of it. They don't like it when people come in with perfectly functional phones, and they ask the tecnicians to perform the OS update/upgrade for them. That, the device support center people don't like; and it's usually those people who are told that AT&T Device Support Centers don't do that. But if you've tried to perform your update, and the phone's now worse, and slow, and clearly something's wrong, they by all mean get that phone over to an AT&T device support center (not a store, but one of the hard-core, serious-technician-occupied device support centers) and have them get you squared away.

Only if the phone's actually broken, somehow, at the hardware level, will they say something to you like that your only choice is to replace the phone. If it's under warrantey, then they'll replace it right then and there, but, sadly, with a refurbished one. Fortunately, they're Samsung-, and not AT&T-refurbished, so, honestly, they're pretty much good as new... as good , at least, as your phone that broke was! Most of the time, though, the phone's fine, at the hardware level, but it just got goofed-up from either something like someone who didn't know what they were doing rooting it, or a failed KIES update/upgrade, etc. There are also some fairly serious viruses out there that could squirrel a phone pretty good under the right circumstances, but, honestly, even that's just so, so rare. And with two simple pieces of software -- one free, and the other free, too, unless you'd like real-time automatic monitoring and a few other features, then it costs a tiny bit of money to purchase -- I could show you how to protect your phone from all the nasties without you having to so much as break a sweat.

But if you're phone's currently a mess, then first things first: Yes, I suppose you could try to repeat the OS update/upgrade using my steps; but the thing is that if the reason it's messed-up is because KIES mini didn't really do a good job (and most of the time that's because there wasn't a propery GSM reset performed before KIES mine was employed to perform the OS update/upgrade), then it's possible that the files on your phone are a weird hybrid of those from the new updated/upgraded OS, plus also from the old, pre-update/upgrade OS. And that, then is why the phone's acting weird. If that's the case, then there's no pristine OS of either version on the phone to which to restore during the GSM reset. The phone, at that point, needs what only a technician at an AT&T device support center can do.

So you may as well just stop screwing around with it and get the phone over to it and let them do the voodoo that they do, and bail you outta' this mess. It may be the quickest and easiest thing to do, at this point. Life's short, remember. When a device manufacturer gives you instructions, and you're pretty sure you followed them, and the device is made worse, then it becomes said manufacturer's responsibility. In this case, of course, Samsung is the manufacturer; but because phones, in the end, are tied directly to a carrier's service, and even often bear its brand name, the carrier -- AT&T in this case -- effectively becomes the manufacturer, for purposes such as yours. Go go get in the car and take the phone to 'em and hold 'em accountable! That's what they're there for.

Thanks for going to all this trouble!!
    No problem. Happy to help... or to try, at least.

Good luck to you!
    05-20-2013 09:11 PM
    Gregg all that you have written here IMO is ridiculous. NO WHERE on any update site does it say to do any of these step. Nothing in Kies, nothing on AT&T website, nothing on Samsung.
    How is the world is an average, at best, cell phone user supposed to know or even follow those steps. If an update is released and the steps you have listed are how you are supposed to do an update, no one would ever attempt it. That being said, there is a flaw or error, take your pick, in this update for the Note. I have been emailing an AT&T rep back and forth and they are aware of the issues with this update and are 'working' on it. After having dealt with AT&T for 10 plus years, I know what this means. We will just have to deal with the phone as is and thats about it.
    You obviously know way more that the average user on how to do an update. If an update is that complicated than all updates should be done at a service center as you state so these carriers do not have a lot of pI$$ed off customers. Just my 2 cents on this update cr@p.
    05-21-2013 09:48 AM
    There is only 6 steps at best for the update.

1. Load Kies
    2. Update Kies
    3. Remove SD Card
    4. Put phone in download mode
    5. Tools>Firmware Upgrade and initialization
    6. Type in Model and Serial as seen on the back under Battery

All done. Phone will now update to the latest software released by AT&T. Nothing additional, nothing to do with any AT&T Reps, centers or anything. I have flashed so many custom ROMS on my device long before this update was released. I was still able to do these 6 simple steps to get back on Stock within 10 minutes and be fully up to date. All the rest is un-needed and un-necessary.
    05-21-2013 11:17 AM
    I agree for most part KSOD, the issues are way to many with this update. 1st Kies is horrible, updated, removed, re-install whatever it still sucks.
    No where does it tell you to remove the SD card, took a chance and it updated. My point is if the update has or had this many issues why even release it!!
    I would rather have waited another month than have to deal with the phone in the current JB state. The update took a great phone and made it horrible.
    If there is a way to COMPLETELY take it back to ice cream i would do it now!!.
    05-21-2013 11:27 AM
    Gregg all that you have written here IMO is ridiculous. NO WHERE on any update site does it say to do any of these step. Nothing in Kies, nothing on AT&T website, nothing on Samsung.
    That notwithstanding, those who don't end-up posting in places like this that their updates went badly, that their phones are slow, or that, ridiculously, they need to "stabilize" for a few days. Those who, on the other hand, do what I prescribe end-up coming to places like this and thanking me for it. You, like everyone else here, are free to follow the advice or not. My pushing forty years of IT experience says you should, but please do whatever you wish.

How is the world is an average, at best, cell phone user supposed to know or even follow those steps. If an update is released and the steps you have listed are how you are supposed to do an update, no one would ever attempt it.
    First of all, it's nowhere near as complicated as you seem to have erected in your mind. Perhaps you're simply overwhelmed by all the words I used to describe it, so that no detail would be spared. However, in the end, the advice is as simple as that one must do a GSM reset immediately before performing the steps which Samsun prescribes using KIES, etc. It's really as simple as that.

However, if that's all I told everyone, here, then I'd be getting complaints about lost data, since people would have performed the GSM reset without first having backed-up.

And if I had told them to first backup without having first told them to make sure they had the latest USB drivers from Samsun on their Windows PC, then I'd be having people tell me, here, that they couldn't achieve the backup.

And if I let them use KIES to make the update, without having them first remove all old copies of KIES (such as KIES mini, from having updated earlier Galaxy-class phones they may have owned before they owned their Note), then they'd be coming here and telling me that the KIES they downloaded to update their Note wouldn't behave properly; or that the update froze halfway through... which is exactly what my experience has shown me happens; and the reason is always multiple old, conflicting copies of KIES.

And if I didn't tell them to reboot the Windows PC between certain steps, knowing that only rebooting will clear from RAM old things which we don't want present when we finally get to the part where the phone is plugged-in to the computer, then people would be, once again, coming here and telling me that something failed...

...and speaking of plugging-in to the computer: If I didn't tell them to use the USB cable that came with the phone, and not some aftermarket USB cable the pin-out of which is unknown, and so may or may not work, then people would be coming back here and telling me of yet another failure.

So, precisely where in the process would you have preferred that I begin... hmm? Hmm?

Apparently you'd have preferred that I give the absolutely minimal bit of information because, of course, that's what couldn't-be-bothered-with-the-technical-details consumers like you prefer; but the problem with that is that I'm a better steward of my own time than that. I don't have time to troubleshoot everyone's failures on account of their not having followed every last detailed step. I've done this before. I know how these things go. What I wrote I wrote to avoid those problems. Getting to my age, with my four decades of experience, imbues me with a certain amount of wisdom from which you're free to either benefit or not, at your option, and to your peril. Either way, I could not care one whit what you think about it. Not one.

I'm sorry -- though far from surprised -- to learn that you have no more respect for my precious time than to suggest that I spend it all here dealing with people who run into problems because I left something out. Couldn't-be-bothered-with-the-technical-details end users like, apparently, you, are always the ones who give all-about-the-details people like me the most problems in life; who suck-up all our time and energy like ungrateful parasites, and who are the most impatient with the unavoidable technical details of using complex devices like Windows PCs and Android phones. Such as you should be using iOS devices like the Mac and the iPhone where a "close is good enough" mentality is actually rewarded.

That being said, there is a flaw or error, take your pick, in this update for the Note. I have been emailing an AT&T rep back and forth and they are aware of the issues with this update and are 'working' on it. After having dealt with AT&T for 10 plus years, I know what this means. We will just have to deal with the phone as is and thats about it.
    I'll better be able to assess that once I've received my Note on, likely, Thursday or Friday of this week; and have performed this update. The AT&T website says that the phone ships with Jelly Bean already on it; but the AT&T supervisor who cut me the unusual deal insisted that it comes with 2.3 Gingerbread on it. Obviously, if it's the former, then I won't be performing the update, myself (though I've done it on four Samsung Galaxy-class phones before). But if it's the latter, then, yes, I'll be doing the Jelly Bean update on my new Note this weekend. At that point, because I followed my own steps, here, I'll be able to assess, with some degree of accuracy, if there's any "flaw or error ... in this update for the Note," as you put it. Given your disdain for doing what positively needs to be done in order to ensure a flawless update, I'm dubious about your ability to determine if there's an "error or flaw." You won't mind if I rely on my 40 years of experience, and not the likely inaccurate assessment borne out of your consumer-oriented, shot-from-the-hip, anhors-technological-details, close-is-good-enough world view, will you?

What's curiously ironic, I should point out, though, is that at the beginning of your post, you're telling me how my steps are ridiculous because neither Samsung nor AT&T prescribes them; yet you're willing to ascribe fundamental error to AT&T and/or Sumsung by accusing either or both of them of releasing "a flaw or error, take your pick, in this update for the Note." You trust them not to mislead you in their described update steps, yet they're apparently capable of sufficient error to release a bad update. If you had more experience across more phones, you'd realize that errant updates are par for the course with both Samsung and AT&T. The 2.3.6 Gingerbread update for the Samsung Infuse 4G (SGH-i997) was delayed by something like a year; then released; then immediately retracted to fix two immediately-noticed, then then three more not-so-immediately-noticed bugs; then finally released again... and even then it still wasn't quite right (but was at least "close enough for government work," as they say). The Samsung Captivate (SGH-i897) 2.3.6 Gingerbread update was an even larger debacle before it was finally right.

Yet in such as those capable of such debacle, you put sufficient faith to chastise me because I prescribe steps which they didn't prescribe... steps which any seasoned tech who read them would say are sound. Again, the iOS world is calling your name.

You obviously know way more that the average user on how to do an update.
    See, that's where you're making the mistake of underestimation. I know way more than most people on the planet about things far, far, far more technical than just updating an Android phone. And I get paid around $250 per hour for it. My contribution to this thread was a gift of that kind of world-class expertise, into the horses mouth of which you have had the temerity to look.

That's nothing new, though. An early mentor in my life, Ed Walsh, godresthissoul, used to make me give him a dollar whenever I'd ask him for advice. We'd meet at the Big Wheel restaurant for lunch arranged at my request so we could talk about something, and he'd interrupt me as I began telling him of my problem and ask me for a dollar. The first time he did it I asked why, and he replied, "You want my advice about something, right?" To which I replied, "yes." And to which he then responded, "Well, free advice is worth exactly what one pays for it. Yes, it's only a dollar, but by paying a symbolic amount for my advice, you're at least theoretically more likely to listen and take it seriously."

He was right. In life, whenever I'm billing at $250 per hour, your likes tend to shut the hell up and bygod listen. When you're not, you shoot from the hip with such as what you've here written. I see it all the time.

If an update is that complicated...
    They're not that complicated. It only seems complicated to what-should-probably-be-iOS-users, like you.

...than all updates should be done at a service center as you state so these carriers do not have a lot of pI$$ed off customers. Just my 2 cents on this update cr@p.
    These carriers do have a lot of pissed-off customers! Have you not been reading all the forum threads and comments beneath blogs out there? What rock have you been living under? Again, the clueless iOS world beckons you.

And I'll leave your characterizing all this as "update cra@p" to self-evidently guide the reader as to what value should be assigned to your opinion. Res ipsa loquitur.
    05-21-2013 11:37 AM
    I highly recommand you to do a factory reset even though it takes time to back up your data. You gonna see the difference, much more smoother
    don't know how the battery dies so soon, but the factory reset really helps.
    05-21-2013 11:46 AM
    There is only 6 steps at best for the update.

1. Load Kies
    2. Update Kies
    3. Remove SD Card
    4. Put phone in download mode
    5. Tools>Firmware Upgrade and initialization
    6. Type in Model and Serial as seen on the back under Battery

All done. Phone will now update to the latest software released by AT&T. Nothing additional, nothing to do with any AT&T Reps, centers or anything. I have flashed so many custom ROMS on my device long before this update was released. I was still able to do these 6 simple steps to get back on Stock within 10 minutes and be fully up to date. All the rest is un-needed and un-necessary.
    I'm sorry. That's just wrong...

...as evidenced by literally thousands who've done it that way on many Galaxy-class phones, and who then end-up in places like this complaining about inordinate slowness, boot-looping, crases, incompatibilities, and the list just goes on and on.

Moreover, that you've "flashed so many custom ROMS" makes you the least capable of giving reliable advice to normal, everyday users who just want it to work. Those who root Android phones, and who then flash custom ROMS, routinely lead ordinary, non-technical end users down the primrose path, as we see in the xda-developers forum every single day. What your likes always leave out of your simple lists are the tweaks and steps and remedial procedures that you instinctively do as such as your six steps, above, fail or stumble.

I'm sorry, but I stand by what I've herein written.
    05-21-2013 12:08 PM
    I highly recommand you to do a factory reset even though it takes time to back up your data. You gonna see the difference, much more smoother :) don't know how the battery dies so soon, but the factory reset really helps.
    A factory reset after the OS update probably has little utility...

...though, that said, as long as it's done immediately after the OS update, so that nothing has yet had a chance to be re-installed onto the phone (which, if it had, would be lost), then it certainly couldn't hurt anything. I suppose it could even help...

...though, the truth is that powering-down a phone, then removing the battery for a few minutes, and then powering it up again can probably do about as much immediately-post-OS-update good as anything else. What matters with these phones, often, is how they're shut down. If, for example, a phone freezes or for some other reasons requires that the battery be removed for a moment in order to reset it, then the very first thing that one should do after it reboots fully (and that's the operative word; be patient and let it fully reboot) is turn around and do a proper full shutdown again. If one does that, then when it next reboots, it really will be back to normal.

A factory reset -- but, more than that, a factory reset of the most severe "GSM reset" type -- immediately (and that's the operative word) before doing an OS update using KIES is the key to said OS update actually working properly. Another reset after... hmmm... I dunno. It's not really necessary, but, again, if it's done immediatelly after the OS update, before anything gets put back on the phone (so that nothing'll be lost), then what the heck... certainly couldn't hurt.

Regardless, to ensure a good OS update, the KIES version for, in this case, the Note, that's on the Windows PC, needs to be the only one there (all previous versions need to be thoroughly uninstalled/removed using something like REVO uninstaller so that all traces of all previous KIES installations on the Windows PC are actually forcibly removed... some of which removal, because the files involved are system locked at the time of uninstallation, may only finally be deleted upon Windows PC reboot, hence at least part of the reason I prescribe it); and the Samsung drivers for the Note also need to be there (though some KIES versions include those); and the cable used to connect the phone to the PC needs to have the proper pin-out... which may only be positively ensured by using the one that came with the phone; but which may likely be ensured if the USB cable at least has the "Samsung" brand name on it, and is made for Galaxy-family phones... hence the reason I prescribed that, too!

There really is a method to my madness, despite some probably-should-be-iPhone-users' around here calling it "ridiculous."

If a GSM reset was not done prior to the OS update, then that's another matter, altogether. In that case, if the OS update didn't go precisely correctly (which is difficult to determine, especially if KIES claims it did), then what's on the phone ends-up being a weird hybrid of files from both the new OS-updated-to version, as well as the immediately-previous updated-from version. Those who complain that their post-OS-update phones are squirrely and slow usually have that situation... caused, ultimately, by that they didn't do a GSM reset to put their phones back to the way they came from the factory before performing the OS update. I repeat: The Samsung and AT&T engineers did all OS update testing using only phones in fresh-out-of-the-box, factory state. I've done such testing for a living in my life. I know what I'm talking about. They must have a known, predictable and repeatable starting point; and they cannot possibly know the state of all users' phones out there. Various apps sometimes screw around with OS files and settings. In order to properly test OS updates, engineers always, always, always begin at a repeatable, predictable place...

...and when it comes to Samsung phone OS updates, they always begin with an older-OS-version phone exactly as it comes from the factory.

Only a GSM reset, prior to OS update, will put a phone back to pristine out-of-the-box, fresh-from-the-factory state. Period. However, if the phone now has the hybrid files from two OS versions on it (because the update via KIES didn't go quite right), then it will never be right, even after GSM (or any other kind of factory) resetting it. And that's because at that point, the GSM reset simply puts it back to the state of having both old OS, and new OS files on it, which won't work; which makes the phone a dog, or makes it boot loop, or makes in squirrely, or can even brick it.

At that point, only a trip to the AT&T Device Support Center will, ultimately, fix that problem.

Trust me on all this, everyone. I know of what I speak... er... I mean... write. Only following my herein earlier posted steps will ensure a clean OS update. Yes, failure to follow them, and updating anyway, may, indeed, still work! I concede that. However, more often than not, it will not. And the result, then, ends-up being people posting in places like this about slowness and other issues, as I'm seeing in this very thread. That's why I posted the solution, here... to try and put an end to that around here; to try to show people how to avoid what some are now posting, here, that they're experiencing.

The Jelly Bean OS version is a good one... particularly nice for the Note. There is no reason, in the world, for anyone to be claiming otherwise because their Note is now slow, or has other issues. Only a botched OS update -- usually from not following such as my steps, here -- will cause that; and typically only a trip to the AT&T Device Support Center will fix a botched OS update. It's really as simple as that.

Yes, sometimes, even after a botched OS update, performing my steps, here, will seemingly vastly improve things. But, what may not be obvious, at that point, is that there may still be something wrong. I, myself, got fooled by that once; and I ended-up with a 2.3.6 Gingerbread Infuse 4G (SGH-i997) that seemed flawlessly, beautifully, speedily running under the updated-to Gingerbread OS...

...that is, until I installed a certain number of apps, and then, all of a sudden, it boot-looped endlessly. The minute I removed just one app, it stopped. And it didn't matter which app, so, then, that meant that no one app was causing it. I first thought it was a bad external SD card, but it always did it no matter what external card was in it. Finally, only going to the AT&T Device Center, pointing-out that I thought I had gotten a good Gingerbread update on it, but then describing the symptiom, fixed it. And what the tech did, simply, was restore the phone to 2.2 Froyo factory state, then run diags on it, and make sure it was in good shape. Then the tech did the 2.3.6 update himself, with the 32GB external SD card in it... exactly as I had done. However, when I got it home, and reinstalled all apps -- including a far greater number than the number that kept boot-looping the phone -- suddenly everything worked flawlessly. So, then, I didn't have as clean an OS update using KIES MINI on that phone as I thought.

You just would not believe how important is what I'm here describing. You just wouldn't.

Geez, this is so frustrating. I know what I'm talking about, here; and have proven that in other Galaxy-family phone model forums. [sigh] Every time I get a new phone model, and visit its forums, I have to prove it all over again.

As for the battery, it's very common for a new OS update to mess-up both how the battery performs, and at what level the phone reports the battery to be. Most of the time, when a new, immediately-post-OS-update phone suddenly seems to be using-up too much battery, it's actually not. All that's happening, usually, is that the OS update has screwed-up the phone's ability to determine true battery level for that particular battery.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the battery really could be getting inordinately used and drawn down; and, if so, then it's likely that the OS update didn't actually go well after all, and so something's draining the battery; and, usually, the only way to fix it is to assume that the OS update didn't go well, and that even factory resetting the phone, now, because of it, won't help. Yes, that's all possible. And, if so, then, again, only a trip to the AT&T Device Support Center will likely fix it.

However, more often than not, it's simply that the battery needs to be recalibrated under the newly-updated OS version. Simple as that. So, then, here's how to recalibrate a battery on a Galaxy-class/family model phone:

1. Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until it shows 100%.
    2. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.
    3. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the battery indicator shows 100%.
    4. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.
    5. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the battery indicator shows 100%.
    6. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it.

My personal recommendation is to do those steps, then use the phone normally for three days, then re-perform said steps. Repeat the recalibration for any given battery a minimum of four (4) times per year.

If you are constantly swapping batteries in and out of phones -- and especially if you don't perform proper shut-downs of the phone each time, before so doing -- then all bets are off. At that point, how the phone both uses batteries, and reports their levels, could be all over the map!

However, even once one has one's phone battery properly calibrated, there could still be an entire raft of reasons why the phone seems to use more battery after an OS update...

...chief among them that an OS update restores a phone to its old-battery-sucking ways. Phones, as shipped from the factory, are set to auto-sync everything in the background, constantly. They're set with their screens too bright. They're set with battery-sucking wallpapers. Etc.

All that stuff needs to be turned-off in order to eek the most battery life out of any phone... most off all a battery hog like the Note!

Some battery-saving tips:

They're lithium-ion batteries, and so should have no "memory" like an old nickel-cadmium. But I'll be darned if they don't, anyway, at least a little. Therefore, "exercising" the battery -- especially if it's brand new -- can actually work. It shouldn't, mind you, but I'll be darned if it doesn't, anyway. Live and learn, I always say. Many users report -- and I've seen it myself -- significant battery life improvements after 3 or so full charge-discharge cycles on a brand new battery. Be sure to "flex your battery's muscles" when you first get it and avoid partial charges or discharges. It might not help everyone, but it's helped enough to be worth a try...

...and don't forget to calibrate the battery the first time, then again three or so days later; and then again quarterly, ongoing, as described above. If you swap-out the battery a lot, then do a proper shut-down of the phone first. By soing doing, the phone may remember each battery's calibration, and will still accurately report battery levels.

Turn off "live" wallpapers. Although pretty and fun to show off the phone, "live" wallpapers run as active apps constantly in the background. The majority of users find a significant boost in runtime if they replace them with a static image; or, even better yet, with no wallpaper image at all. If battery life is more-important to you than visual eye-candy and bragging rights, then definitely at least turn off "live" wallpapers; and I, frankly, recommend using no wallpaper; just having a black background. There are even a few apps out there which provide a "blank" or "black" background; but be careful, because some of them simply display a black wallpaper, which actually uses almost the same amount of battery as if it were a static brightly-colored wallpaper. One must actually get no wallpaper -- at all -- to display; and on some phones, that requires an app. They're out there; just look for them on the Google Play Store; but, again, make sure that it's actually displaying no background wallpaper, and not simply a black one.

Screen brightness is the biggest single user of power; the brighter the screen, the more power the phone users. A Galaxy-family phone -- especially if it has a super AMOLED display, need not be turned very bright when indoors... typically only 15% to 25% brightness will do. Even outdoors, most days, as little as 75% brightness will be good enough (though if the sun's directly on the screen, 90% to 100% brightness may barely be enough). Keep the brightness of the screen as low as you can stand it. You won't believe how much battery it will save. Even the auto-brightness setting sometimes gooses it up too bright. If you can remember to keep it down to only what you need, it's better to manually adjust it for either indoors or outdoors. And there are some cool apps which put widgets on the home screen so that you can increase and decrease brightness, as needed, with just a press or two.

Speaking of home screen widgets: They suck battery life! I'm not talking about icons, here; I mean widgets. Be very, very careful about using them on the home screen. Use them very sparingly, because they're always alive and doing something, even if the screen's off and the phone's in your pocket.

Apps, too, are sometimes just plain battery-sucking... usually because they're poorly written. There's a very cool weather app out there, for example, which connects to the national system of home weather stations out there, and which even displays, on the phone screen, exactly like an LCD-panel home weather station wall display; and you can specify your neighborhood and it'll go out onto the home weather station system and find the home weather station nearest you and show you not just the weather, but the weather right in your neighborhood! Very cool...

...but very battery sucking, too. Ohmygod, I couldn't believe it. It was knocking my phone dead in half a day. I finally had to remove it. So be on the lookout for battery-sucking apps. Not all apps are friendly. Some want to constantly update in the background, even if they're seemingly off. Such as they can knock-flat a battery in no time.

Remember, also, about programmers (and these apps are all written by programmers): Many inflated ego programmers think that their apps are the only apps in the world; and so they have them constantly running, and turn-on all the apps' features by default (and often have no way of turning them off), and make them sync and run in the background, and make it hard to get to stop running and get out of memory, etc. Turn them off, regardless, if you can; and, frankly, any app maker who has so little regard for the user and so much regard for himself/herself, needs to have his/her app the heck off at least my phone! Do not tolerate badly-behaved programmers and their badly-behaved apps. Dump/uninstall 'em, and save battery!

And speaking of running in the background: Be sure to really and truly close an app when you're done with it. Unless it's an app which positively needs to run in the background all the time, so that it can notify you of somethingoranother (or whatever it is that you want it to do), then be sure to fully close it, and not leave it running, when you're done with it. Many people fail to fully close apps when they're done using them; and the usual culprit is that they don't "back out" of the app, using the "back" button at the very bottom of the screen (second button from the right) until they're finally dropped to the home screen. Instead, they use the "home" button (second from the left, at the bottom), which lets the phone multi-task and keeps the app that was home-buttoned out of running in the background as the user goes on and opens and uses other stuff. To see what all's running, long-press the "home" button to launch the pop-up which contains the "task manager" button, then press said button to enter the task manager (or you can go straight to it using the task manager button, which everyone -- at least those who listen to me -- should have on their home screen). Once in the task manager, you can see what you inadvertently left running by "home" buttoning out of apps instead of "back" buttoning out of them until you're finally dropped to the Home screen. Always "back" button out of stuff, to fully close it, unless you actually want whatever app to run in the background while you do other stuff. You would not believe how much battery life that simple habit will suddenly give you!

Also, regarding apps, just generally: As long as the app doesn't have a background service that's always running, even if the app's not actually either front-and-center on the screen, or is open in the background via multi-tasking as described in the immediately previous paragraph, then said app's presence on the phone, as long as it's not open, uses no battery at all, to speak of (obviously, displaying its icon uses some battery, but, otherwise, it uses none). However, some apps, even when they're not open or running in the background, nevertheless have background services running... each of which uses battery. One may put onto one's phone as many apps with no background services as one wants, and as long as there's room for them in mass storage (which can be greatly improved, by the way, by installing as many apps as will allow it out on the external SD card so that the internal storage is not clogged-up). However, one should limit the number of apps installed on one's phone which have background services running, even if they're not actually running in either the foreground or background. Such apps with background services will suck a battery dry; and so one should be careful how many of them one has installed on one's phone. The more apps with background services constantly running, the more battery will be used even when the phone's allegedly doing nothing, with a blanked screen, in your pocket.

Be careful how long you set the screen blanker/saver. Don't set the time so low that it harasses you by making you keep waking-up the screen during normal use; but don't set it out to too long, either. Or, of you do set it long, then have the self-discipline to manually turn off the screen before putting the phone away after use. I have my phone set to auto-screen-blank after 10 minutes, which seems like a lot. However, I have a little button down in the dock which, when pressed, fully blanks and shuts-off the screen, as happens after 10 minutes if I don't touch it. And I've become religious about remembering to press it when I'm done looking at the phone, and ready to put it back into its pouch. Yet when I really need the screen to stay on without harassing me, 10 minutes is, for me, at least, about right. I also use a custom screen locker app which I can set to its own blanking time of, in my phone's case, just 2 minutes. And that locker app also lets me put my screen-off-and-lock (that's the name of my button app which lets me turn off the screen) button on the screen locker, too, so that I can even blank/turn-off the screen from the locker screen, rather than letting it time-out (which timing-out, of course, uses-up battery). Yes, pressing the phone's hardware power button also achieves turning-off/on the screen, but it also wears-out the power button, in time... hence my reason for doing as much of it on the glass as I can. By doing what I do with the screen-off-and-lock button, I only even have to press the hardware power button to wake-up the screen to the screen locker app screen, from which I can blank it again using the button on the glass. That screen locker app even lets me do things like shake the phone to wake it up (which I have turned-off, but I'm just sayin' that it's also there to keep one from wearing-out the hardware power button all the time).

Stop all unnecessary background syncing. Most apps, despite what their makers claim, need only communicate with a server out there somewhere when they're open and up-front-and-center on the screen. When they're closed, most apps need do nothing... no syncing, no updating, no nothing. Even the Facebook app, for most users -- that is, the ones who don't need to instantly know about their friends' postings and messages -- need never sync in the background when it's not open. When so, turn it off. And go through all apps and turn-off their background operations, too. Allow to sync/run in the background only the apps which you absolutely need to so do. You wouldn't believe how much battery you save by turning off most syncing...

...speaking of which, if you don't turn it off, the Google system will try to sync with most Android phones every few seconds; and for most users, that's just not necessary. If you go into your phone's "Settings" area, then press "Accounts and Sync," you'll find that most phones come, by default, set to sync all the time... to "auto sync." The truth is, though, that "auto sync" in the phone's "accounts and sync" area in "settings" can be turned-off (unchecked) for most users. Only thhe "background data" needs to be able to sync, else the phone can't even tell when the Google Play Store app wants to update any of our apps. Down in the "Manage accounts" area in the phone's "accounts and sync" in its "settings" area, one should usually turn-off the syncing of individual Google apps and services such as GMAIL (unless, of course, one wants to know about every single email that comes in; I don't, but some do; so I keep mine turned-off). You would not BELIEVE how much battery (and processor cycles) are used-up by constant syncing. I've seen dog-slow phones suddenly become peppy by merely turning-off auto-syncing (or at least leaving on only the auto-syncing that's absolutely necessary). I don't, for example, want to be notified of any new emails. I get so many, each day, that the phone would be beeping every few seconds. Instead, if people need me right now, they know how to both call or text me. That's what those services are for, after all. Being notified in real time about each new email is a little OCD, as far as I'm concerned... but, hey, that's just me.

Turn off GPS, Bluetooth and even WIFI when not in-use. There's simply no need to have these draining the battery if you're not usiing them; and only people who are so over-the-top about things like someone always knowing where they are on a Google Map or something ever need such services always running. Moreover, simply pulling down on the notification shade makes turning-on/off these services trivially easy. Even turning off auto-screen-rotation, believe it or not, can save battery. I, personally, hate accidentally turning my phone a little bit too far sideways, and suddenly having it auto-switc to landscape mode. If I want landscape, I know how to get it (by turning-on screen rotation). All other times, I want portrait mode, and I want it to stay that way even if I accidentally turn the phone a little too far horizontally. Turning-off auto-screen rotation can eek the tinest bit of juice out of the battery because constantly monitoring the orientation sensor uses-up battery. So keep it off, and, believe it or not, you'll see improved battery life.

Speaking of juice, I could not more strongly recommend the use of the JUICE DEFENDER app... preferably the paid version, 'cause it's got way more cool features. There's also a free companion JUICE PLOTTER app that can help you see when are your heaviest battery usage periods, which can then help you figure out what apps and/or usage patterns are using so much battery. There are also apps out there which can help you spot battery-hogging apps and/or serivces and/or syncing in a heartbeat.

Keep spare batteries... and more than just one. Before the Note, with regular smartphones, maybe one spare was enough to make it through the day (although I, honestly, can make it through most days without a spare). But the Note's a battery eater, so having at least two fully-charged spares may become necessary for some Note users. Interim charging during the day, while at work, for example, using the USB port on one's computer, perhaps, may also be necessary. One should always have one's phone's USB cable -- and even one of those plug-into-the-wall-outlet-then-plug-the-USB-cable-into-it 120VAC chargers -- in one's briefcase (or at least in one's car's glovebox) at all times. And one should be careful about what kind of extra batteries one purchases. Be sure to spend the extra money on batteries actually made by Samsung; and don't be fooled by cheap knockoffs which bear the Samsung name, but are really just fakes. Cheap aftermarket batteries just won't feed the bulldog when it comes to Samsung smartphone and tablet devices. They just won't. Stay away from them.

And, of course, finally, turn-off the phone when it's not needed...

...which, for me, is never, so a part of me doesn't really even know why I'm suggesting this. Most people want their phones on all the time. Most just leave them on while they charge all night, on the nightstand, so they can answer or make an emergency call or something. Those who do, though, either need to have a phone where the "I'm finally fully charged" alert tone can be turned-off, else it wakes one up in the middle of the night. On phones too old to have such tone-off features, using a scripting app can sometimes achieve it. However, for those who don't need any of that, then turning-off the phone when not needed can be the biggest battery saver of all!

Those who think they can just have a laissez faire attitude toward, and approach to, their phones -- as most of those who decry all my update steps seem to have -- end-up missing-out on the benefits of all that such as being so anally-retentive as are these battery-saving tactics can provide. You simply would not believe how much battery you'll save if you employ as many of the foregoing tips as possible. You simply would not believe it...

...just exactly as the doubters, here, would simply not believe how smoothly and successfully would go their OS updates if they'd just listen to me, here.
    05-21-2013 02:47 PM
    First off, your posts are clear that you love to hear yourself talk and you clearly have a high opinion of yourself. That being said a page worth of ramblings is way more than needs to be done to simply update a cell phone. The update should have been simple. I have updated many phones without this much hassle, so your assumption that I and others need to pay some ***** $250/hour to update a phone is insane and comical. We don't really need your lame life story on how much $ you CLAIM to make. Spare us that BS.
    Why don't you just back out of this forum the same way you came in, with your head up your a$$. We on these and other forums don't need some 'know it all' to attempt to make us feel stupid about an update on our phone. Oh and by the way, I hope Ed Walsh, your mentor, is not resting peacefully. I will not respond to anymore of your ramblings.
    Your 'steps' are ridiculous and I stand by what I've herein written.
    05-21-2013 02:54 PM
    I will not respond to anymore of your ramblings.
    Promises, promises. You won't mind, will you, if I don't hold my breath.

...and I stand by what I've herein written.
    As do I. And I assure you that, of the two of us, I'm standing on firmer ground.
    05-21-2013 03:26 PM
    DesElms

Here is my issue. I suspect that what you are saying is completely right, but for the majority of users probably not needed. There is no doubt that haveing the cleanest install possible is best, but depending on several factors could be completely useless and not needed.

Contrary to what you say I have seen this question put in front of a few developers discussing custom roms. They were well known Samsung Galaxy developers of custom roms. The roms they created or customized.(some where OEM roms with some cleanup done). There procedures were very straight forward. Simply put Flash custom rom and clear cache from recovery. That ofcourse is with Clockword Mod Recovery. Since a stock phone doesn't have Clockwork Mod Recovery we use Kies from Samsung.

I would suspect that in most cases people with problems would be fixed just by clearing cache from stock recovery and then if that doesn't resolve it doing a factory reset.

On top of that we have to understand that this phone is over a year old and unfortunately has the weekest processor of it's generation. The snapdragon S3 is just slow compared to the exynos 4412 and the TI counterparts. It is going to have issues keeping up.

The majority of users should be able to simply remove there SD Card, Plug in to their computer and then run the upgrade from KIES. If they have issues then doing a factory reset to bring the phone back to a good state.
    05-21-2013 03:39 PM
81 1234