Led Notifications?

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or did I see and read something like these galaxy s2 models will have led notifications? I swore I saw one of these models with a blue led light on the top right corner in one clip. If this is confirmed then YES!! :D

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
"Oh, and one more cherry on top-- The Epic 4G bucks the trend with an LED notification light. A welcome addition to this new crop from Samsung."

Exerpt from the hands on today.

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
"Oh, and one more cherry on top-- The Epic 4G bucks the trend with an LED notification light. A welcome addition to this new crop from Samsung."

Exerpt from the hands on today.

Oh no lol. Only the Epic would get this, doesnt that have the slide out qwerty? Decisions Decisions.

I'm stuck on AT&T with unlimited data so it would be dumb to leave them for the epic.

JETarpon

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The hardest part of moving from my Nexus One to this (or to any other phone, for that matter) will be losing my LED track ball. I hardly ever use the track ball feature, but love the color coded LED.

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The hardest part of moving from my Nexus One to this (or to any other phone, for that matter) will be losing my LED track ball. I hardly ever use the track ball feature, but love the color coded LED.

Can you assign different colors for different notifications?

You will miss it, I still miss my blackberry led's lol, but no way I could go back.

JETarpon

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Can you assign different colors for different notifications?

You will miss it, I still miss my blackberry led's lol, but no way I could go back.

Yes. I have red=gmail, orange=sms, blue=facebook, green=gtalk, magenta=calendar, etc.

I don't know why manufacturers don't do LEDs.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh no lol. Only the Epic would get this, doesnt that have the slide out qwerty? Decisions Decisions.

I'm stuck on AT&T with unlimited data so it would be dumb to leave them for the epic.

The Epic 4g is last years Galaxy 1 model for Sprint. The Epic Touch 4g is Sprints version of the International Galaxy S2 that is all touch screen. They are making an Epic 2 but that's a whole other day and time. I see what you meant though. He was just saying the Epic 4g instead of using the whole name.

Syounger64

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
So how will you know if you got email or msgs on this phone? I'm coming from a blackberry 9300 and probably staying with Att for this phone so I gotta ask.

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
So how will you know if you got email or msgs on this phone? I'm coming from a blackberry 9300 and probably staying with Att for this phone so I gotta ask.

Only by an audible notification or just waking up your phone and looking at your notification bar. I know, I came from blackberry as well. Right now, I'm on the HTC Inspire 4G and it has led notifications granted its only 2 colors I'll take that over nothing. Alot of android devices dont have led notifications. Its a reason I may just skip samsung and wait for the HTC Holiday coming out soon on At&t.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Well you can set these phones without notification LED's for the the nature in which you want them to notify you. I haven't used the settings in the s2 to give specific info but every other I've had can be set to treat a message as a new message and light the screen up, sound or vibrate, different sounds for email, calls, text and voicemail and when any of these are missed while you're away you can set the behavior and the increments in which way it re-notifies you. I came from a blackberry in 08' and it only took a few weeks to forget that LED notifications ever existed.

TBayTom

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I know that my current Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S I) has an app called "BLN control- Free" in the Marketplace that lights up my control buttons whenever I receive an email or some type of notification. Haven't notice a big difference in battery usage from this app either. Hopefully this app runs on the new Galaxy SII phones... anyone know?

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I know that my current Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S I) has an app called "BLN control- Free" in the Marketplace that lights up my control buttons whenever I receive an email or some type of notification. Haven't notice a big difference in battery usage from this app either. Hopefully this app runs on the new Galaxy SII phones... anyone know?

How does this work exactly?

I just checked the market and if you read the reviews, they mention that this is working on the sgs2.

If its a useful app then maybe I'll still buy the sgs2 :)

TBayTom

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
How does this work exactly?

I just checked the market and if you read the reviews, they mention that this is working on the sgs2.

If its a useful app then maybe I'll still buy the sgs2 :)

Whenever there's an unread notification (email, text, etc) it keeps the keypad lit up until you read them. So I can look at my phone from a distance to check if I have any unread messages that I need to check. Saves time rather than grabbing my phone, unlocking it in order to check if I have unread messages. Great feature that should be used on all phones in some way.

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
There is also an app called no led that is made for Samsung galaxy devices.

Does this work with 3rd party apps like trilllian?

Whenever there's an unread notification (email, text, etc) it keeps the keypad lit up until you read them. So I can look at my phone from a distance to check if I have any unread messages that I need to check. Saves time rather than grabbing my phone, unlocking it in order to check if I have unread messages. Great feature that should be used on all phones in some way.

can you customize it with 3rd party apps?

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Now that we know the att version wont have a LED notification light I hope there will be a kernal that is BLN enabled. At least then you can use the menu button back light as a notification light.

TBayTom

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Does this work with 3rd party apps like trilllian?

can you customize it with 3rd party apps?
I only have the free version of BLN, the paid version seems to have different ways to customize preferences. Looking through the free version, I believe it works only for email and text alerts. Those are the only two I can verify.

litesout

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of disappointed that the AT&T version doesn't have the LED. My last few Nokias and the Blackberrys I've had for the last 4 years have all had them. It really is a nice feature. Its one of those things that you wouldn't give a second thought to until you have it, then you can't live without it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463