hello everyone.

I'm almost positive I will switch to the Galaxy S2 once it is out...

1. When will the release date be?

2. Can this be rooted?

3. Can I use this phone as a hotspot when I'm not around wifi...I know ATT might charge but my brother-in-law mentioned something about rooting and how you can hide this...

4. I own only Macbooks...can I still get my music and pictures onto this phone?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks guys/gals
    08-31-2011 05:42 PM

It's not official yet, but AC said it will be 9/18

2. Can this be rooted?

You betcha!

3. Can I use this phone as a hotspot when I'm not around wifi...I know ATT might charge but my brother-in-law mentioned something about rooting and how you can hide this...

Yes you can. However, if you want to do it legally, you will need to sign up for one of AT&Ts tethering plans. If you do this, and you're currently in a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you will lose your unlimited data. So keep that in mind before you tether. AT&T has been cracking down on unauthorized tethers lately, sending emails saying to stop or they will automatically sign you up for a tethering plan. So beware.

You should be able to do it using Kies (Samung's desktop application) or some other manual solution. There's a Mac version of Kies now. You should be able to use it for synching, but it's safe to say that it won't be as easy as it is for you now with iTunes and iPhoto though.

Get ready for a great device on a very customizable OS. Learn as you go that's part of the fun! Welcome to Android if you do end up taking the plunge.
    08-31-2011 06:11 PM

2. Can this be rooted?

You betcha!

Yes you can. However, if you want to do it legally, you will need to sign up for one of AT&Ts tethering plans. If you do this, and you're currently in a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you will lose your unlimited data. So keep that in mind before you tether. AT&T has been cracking down on unauthorized tethers lately, sending emails saying to stop or they will automatically sign you up for a tethering plan. So beware.

You should be able to do it using Kies (Samung's desktop application) or some other manual solution. There's a Mac version of Kies now. You should be able to use it for synching, but it's safe to say that it won't be as easy as it is for you now with iTunes and iPhoto though.

Get ready for a great device on a very customizable OS. Learn as you go that's part of the fun! Welcome to Android if you do end up taking the plunge.
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I just called AT&T and the guy said they weren't getting it?.?.

I think I will be getting it. Sell my iPhone 4 plus upgrade eligible. Should free or very low cost

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.361529,-157.920235
    08-31-2011 06:33 PM
    Yes, you can sync your music over. Treat it like a USB drive. Just navigate to the media folder, and copy/paste. That's what I do. I'm also on a Mac. Err, I don't have it yet (Will be getting it), but I had the Galaxy S (Captivate).

I rooted mine. Before that, I had an iPhone 3GS.

I used tethering on it also. But, not after AT&T started cracking down on users. If you root, and use an illegal tethering option, then you'll most likely be fine.
    08-31-2011 07:15 PM
    Yes, you can sync your music over. Treat it like a USB drive. Just navigate to the media folder, and copy/paste. That's what I do. I'm also on a Mac. Err, I don't have it yet (Will be getting it), but I had the Galaxy S (Captivate).

I rooted mine. Before that, I had an iPhone 3GS.

I used tethering on it also. But, not after AT&T started cracking down on users. If you root, and use an illegal tethering option, then you'll most likely be fine.
    Oh ok cool. Does AT&T have another phone that can compete with Galaxy 2? HTC?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.361708,-157.920116
    08-31-2011 09:24 PM
    No HTC phone as of now besides the Inspire, which is becoming outdated. The HTC Holiday is coming out in the near future as well. Id check that out while you're at it.
    08-31-2011 09:37 PM
    Will honeycomb be available on it?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.361620,-157.920290
    08-31-2011 09:44 PM
    Will honeycomb be available on it?

---
    I am here: Google Maps
    Honeycomb is only for tablets. Ice cream sandwich will be the honeycomb equivalent on phones giving a new look to the interface, more features and supposed optimization of dual core phones. The first device rumored to be showing this off is the next nexus phone for VZ. Everything else is gingerbread for awhile, especially phones that have overlays (sense, touchwiz, motoblur, etc.)
    08-31-2011 10:26 PM
    Honeycomb is only for tablets. Ice cream sandwich will be the honeycomb equivalent on phones giving a new look to the interface, more features and supposed optimization of dual core phones. The first device rumored to be showing this off is the next nexus phone for VZ. Everything else is gingerbread for awhile, especially phones that have overlays (sense, touchwiz, motoblur, etc.)
    Thank you for the explanation. I see android like food names lol. Is HTC infusion a better phone then the Galaxy 2?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.358400,-157.926792
    09-01-2011 01:14 AM
    No problem. Do you mean the HTC Inspire or the Samsung Infuse? Either way, the S2 is Superior, the rest is personal preference for aesthetics.
    5keenoms likes this.
    09-01-2011 10:10 AM

2. Can this be rooted?

You betcha!

I've been wondering a bit on this. How exactly can AT&T even tell that you're tethering? I have an iphone 4 currently and have tethered a few times just for a couple of minutes and such. I've yet to get any emails or texts, so I guess that is good.

But how exactly do they know? I remember reading one article where they mentioned they can see another MAC address connected to the phone, but how would any logs show this? Surely enough i would imagine that all MAC addresses could be cloned no?
    09-01-2011 12:53 PM
    I've been wondering a bit on this. How exactly can AT&T even tell that you're tethering? I have an iphone 4 currently and have tethered a few times just for a couple of minutes and such. I've yet to get any emails or texts, so I guess that is good.

But how exactly do they know? I remember reading one article where they mentioned they can see another MAC address connected to the phone, but how would any logs show this? Surely enough i would imagine that all MAC addresses could be cloned no?
    Well it's not really about them seeing that it's hooked up to something else, it's the fact that they can see the data being downloaded within time frames and as a total. downloading 5 gigs of data in one session is a red flag along with 15-20 gigs of data over the course of one night. Cough torrents cough
    09-01-2011 01:35 PM
    The Galaxy S2 couldn't come out soon enough for me. I've had my iPhone 4 for over a year now and I'm sick of it. I was going to hold out for the iPhone 5, however, I already know it's going to be a disappointment.
    09-03-2011 09:24 AM
    The Galaxy S2 couldn't come out soon enough for me. I've had my iPhone 4 for over a year now and I'm sick of it. I was going to hold out for the iPhone 5, however, I already know it's going to be a disappointment.
    I'm an Apple fan so I hate to say it but I think you're right. I'm waiting to see when the HTC Holiday will be announced. Or the Sam G 2.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.361581,-157.920021
    09-03-2011 04:10 PM
    I'm an Apple fan so I hate to say it but I think you're right. I'm waiting to see when the HTC Holiday will be announced. Or the Sam G 2.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.361581,-157.920021
    Phones are evolving so fast nowadays that the iPhone won't be able to keep up either way anymore, especially with the GSII...I love Apple though, don't get me wrong. They'll probably sell a ton more iPhone 5's than the GSII as well just because its the iPhone. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2011 07:28 PM
    Phones are evolving so fast nowadays that the iPhone won't be able to keep up either way anymore, especially with the GSII...I love Apple though, don't get me wrong. They'll probably sell a ton more iPhone 5's than the GSII as well just because its the iPhone. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    Very true. Is there any word on the Galaxy 2 or HTC Holiday for AT&T yet?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.402074,-157.967011
    09-03-2011 08:24 PM
    Hey man, I'll be coming from a 3GS. I've had a captivate and like it more for the customization than the iPhone, even with jailbreaking. I think I too will be looking at this SGS2, like the others are saying I don't think the 5 will be able to compete with this SGS, its a solid phone in comparison to the iPhone 4 and I can't see the 5 being tons better than the 4.
    09-03-2011 08:42 PM

The apn file sends different traffic to different gateways. If they have a gateway for iPhone traffic but they see windows pc network chatter from different services they know you are tethering
    09-03-2011 09:19 PM
    Very true. Is there any word on the Galaxy 2 or HTC Holiday for AT&T yet?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.402074,-157.967011
    The Galaxy S2 should be coming out on or around Sep. 18th. No word yet on the Holidy.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G using Tapatalk.
    09-04-2011 08:36 AM
    Hey man, I'll be coming from a 3GS. I've had a captivate and like it more for the customization than the iPhone, even with jailbreaking. I think I too will be looking at this SGS2, like the others are saying I don't think the 5 will be able to compete with this SGS, its a solid phone in comparison to the iPhone 4 and I can't see the 5 being tons better than the 4.
    I don't think it will either. Plus it will still require a jailbreak even with the 200 new features that were added to iOS 5 already. Many people will still buy it simply because it's an iPhone, though.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G using Tapatalk.
    09-04-2011 08:44 AM
    You guys are all basically agreeing .

iPhones are great phones, I had a 3GS. Then I bought a Captivate. Now I'm going for the GS2. The iPhone 4 and 5 are great phones, no doubt about that. They just can't keep up anymore. The hardware is evolving too quickly for an annual release. Plus, Apple's not one to implement the latest technologies. They play it safe and wait a bit.

IMO, it'll still sell more than any other phone- Because it's an iPhone.
    09-04-2011 09:37 AM

no, your MAC address is a unique identifier assigned to your NIC. Don't think you can clone that. Yes, they see your MAC address :-)
    09-05-2011 03:24 AM
    I'm in the UK and have had my galaxy S2 for about 3 months now. Always does everything perfectly. Tethering is great but kills the battery charge in just a few hours if left on.

For iTunes, just download doubletwist for your mac...
    doubleTwist - Desktop Client

And airsync (add on for doubletwist) will allow you to sync your iTunes library wirelessly with your gs2
    09-06-2011 04:29 PM
    You guys are all basically agreeing .

iPhones are great phones, I had a 3GS. Then I bought a Captivate. Now I'm going for the GS2. The iPhone 4 and 5 are great phones, no doubt about that. They just can't keep up anymore. The hardware is evolving too quickly for an annual release. Plus, Apple's not one to implement the latest technologies. They play it safe and wait a bit.

IMO, it'll still sell more than any other phone- Because it's an iPhone.
    The iPhone has become a "mass consumer product" and it seems Apple is afraid to make major changes (software) in order to keep soccer moms happy so they know how to use the device. They want those people to be able to pick up the device and use it with no issues. It is pretty sad to see it go that way. I do own an iPhone 4 but I use my Android device much more these days. That being said, the GS 2 is a great device and will hold it's own very well in the market.
    09-14-2011 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD