Is ATT's version 100% the same as international ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if the ATT Galaxy S2 is the exact same size as the popular international version ? With it being 4.3" screen size and said to follow the original design closely, was wondering if the cases already available for the Galaxy S2 will fit the ATT version ?

Also how is ATT service in Chicago ? I am not too happy with Sprint's turtle slow network, it has really gone down this year :( On average 3G is like 200k/sec for me, and 4G is a HUGE battery killer, and if I can lock on to it, I might get 2mb/sec if I am lucky. And the phone connection sucks indoors.

I also like how ATT is getting the 4.3" size, I think 4.5" is a tad too large, and the same res at 4.3" should look sharper than spread across 4.5", plus ATT's is the thinnest of the bunch which is cool too.

beandoc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I would like to add onto this question, for any of those who might answer it... Is there anything officially stating that the AT&T (or any of the other US carriers, for that matter) GSII has Gorilla Glass?

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would like to add onto this question, for any of those who might answer it... Is there anything officially stating that the AT&T (or any of the other US carriers, for that matter) GSII has Gorilla Glass?

From Corning Gorilla Glass site itself, doesn't get more official than this. They list every product they've made GG for.

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | SAMSUNG

While it doesn't say for U.S. , we can all pretty much agree that they wouldn't change that part of their assembly since they've used it in their tabs and original galaxy phones. BJ Kang, senior manager of Samsung Electronics said, “Advanced display technology plays a crucial role in meeting consumers’ growing expectations on high-end mobile devices, especially smartphones. Corning’s Gorilla glass has helped maximize Galaxy S’s unique smartphone features by enabling a high-quality touch display.”

If it has to be know for certain then we'll just have to wait to read the manual when our versions release.

Last edited:
Reactions: H_D

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by international? I fixed (water damage) the Korean version for a guy the other day, and it has a button right in the center of the bottom under the glass...that's not present on any of the versions in the US.

jdm4u

Samsungian
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by international? I fixed (water damage) the Korean version for a guy the other day, and it has a button right in the center of the bottom under the glass...that's not present on any of the versions in the US.

That would be the international version, the one with the button.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It looks to be the only difference between the AT&T version and the unlocked, international version is the home button, three button layout for int'l, and the Americanized four-button Android layout for AT&T. Everything else is nearly identical.

eewhiz

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, I bet the reason for the center button to disappear is because of the ongoing design patent litigation. 4 button is another distinction away from iPhone design.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to do with patent dispute. AT&T Captivate doesn't have the home button like its international version of Galaxy S. It's purely a style choice from AT&T.

The international version of SGS2 have quad band 3 G while AT&T version only has tri-band.

beandoc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Upon inspecting the Samsung website, it looks like the thickness differs between the two models. The ATT version is 8.89 mm, while the international version is 8.49 mm.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
My main question in this thread, was size. It looks like the ATT version will be near identical to the international version already out, that has a good selection of accessories, and cases. Would a case for the international version fit this new ATT Galaxy S2 ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Upon inspecting the Samsung website, it looks like the thickness differs between the two models. The ATT version is 8.89 mm, while the international version is 8.49 mm.

Sorry did not see your post before I made mine. So the international is even thinner than the ATT version, which I thought was the thinnest ? Because the AT&T variant which has the same screen size and battery size as the original, is still not as thin as the original (8.89 mm versus 8.49). Wonder why they couldn't make it identical?

beandoc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry did not see your post before I made mine. So the international is even thinner than the ATT version, which I thought was the thinnest ? Because the AT&T variant which has the same screen size and battery size as the original, is still not as thin as the original (8.89 mm versus 8.49). Wonder why they couldn't make it identical?

No problem. I would hate for something stupid like .4mm screw up case options, etc.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
No problem. I would hate for something stupid like .4mm screw up case options, etc.
The reason for the difference in thickness is for the NFC. The new SGSII coming out for South Korea for instance are NFC's and they are the same thickness or close (8.9mm).

wanta sii

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
photo.php

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1831070030935&set=o.192641620761006&type=1&theater

Not the same...

Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S II Tough hard case by Case-Mate

Fits the Canadian and International Samsung Galaxy S II. Please check back at a later time for information on the US version and fit. :(

Reactions: sndplace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad