09-18-2011 09:41 PM
86 1234
tools
    I seem to remember this was the case with the Captivate too. I remember it being a VERY soft launch for AT&T compared with the other carriers, and there being very little concrete confirmation that the phones would be in stores until a day or two before they came out.

If they don't surface this Sunday, I wouldn't count on seeing them until the next weekend because AT&T mostly releases new product only on Sundays...
    Here's just one article but across the web they're pretty much the same. The Captivate was actually announced in the end of June, given a price and release date on the 8th of July and launched on July 18th

AT&T Reveals Release Date, Price for Samsung Captivate
    09-15-2011 02:52 PM
    Well, I guess there won't be an announcement today... Just have to look for something tomorrow. I'm hoping that guy on the other page was right about Sunday though.
    09-15-2011 05:27 PM
    Says here Sept. 18th is the day, not sure if it's right though.
    http://tv.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy...ease/1914.html
    09-15-2011 08:47 PM
    This will be the first time I've purchased a phone at its release, so I have a question for you guys. Historically, when do the big box retailers start selling new phones relative to their AT&T release date? Do the AT&T stores always get them first? How soon after will Best Buy, Costco, etc. start selling them?
    09-15-2011 11:50 PM
    Here's to hoping. . . . but I haven't seen reviews from the big sites out yet so I am kind of worried it isn't coming out Sunday.
    09-16-2011 03:07 AM
    Here's to hoping. . . . but I haven't seen reviews from the big sites out yet so I am kind of worried it isn't coming out Sunday.
    Engadget didn't get an SGSII for Sprint review up on their page until 10 or so hours before the release on Sprints website. Samsung Epic 4G Touch review -- Engadget

Stay positive, my friends.
    09-16-2011 05:08 AM
    AT&T cs says it should available first couple weeks of October.
    09-16-2011 06:48 AM
    Says here Sept. 18th is the day, not sure if it's right though.
    Samsung Galaxy s2: US Debut Tomorrow, Cramps iPhone 5 Release [VIDEO] | IBTimes TV
    For all we know they got that date from AC. AC were the first and only ones to post that date. All of the major tech sites didn't even post a date. While it would be really sweet, the 18th is not looking good.
    09-16-2011 08:18 AM
    Just talked to my local AT&T. Spoke to what sounded like a normal sales associate. He knew what a Galaxy SII was, said they haven't received in their shipments yet, but normally don't until a day or 2 before the launch (he said they are expecting the SII shipment by Friday.) He didn't have an offical "Yes, it'll be here Sunday" but he did say and I quote "Your best bet is to be here Sunday morning or call Saturday afternoon and we'll have a definite answer"

Seriously going to rage pretty hard if it doesn't come out on Sunday. Have the day planned off and everything.
    I'm still wanting this guys post to be true. I had a similar experience with my local AT&T place with the kinda wink* wink* nudge* nudge* thing happening. He said that it certainly would be a good day to launch a new phone because they always get a refresh on Sundays... Idk anymore. Today's a new day and a good day to tell us something! C'mon AT&T! Make our weekend! lol
    09-16-2011 08:37 AM
    I'm thinking Sprint paid extra for some period of
    domestic exclusivity. At least to be able to say they
    launched it first. Still REALLY hoping ATT will have it
    Sunday, just couldn't announce it earlier due to Sprint deal..
    At minimum, I want this phone next weekend
    09-16-2011 08:37 AM
    I'm still wanting this guys post to be true. I had a similar experience with my local AT&T place with the kinda wink* wink* nudge* nudge* thing happening. He said that it certainly would be a good day to launch a new phone because they always get a refresh on Sundays... Idk anymore. Today's a new day and a good day to tell us something! C'mon AT&T! Make our weekend! lol
    Agreed it would be good to hear that its coming out on Sunday, but in reality I would be happy with just giving a release date even if its not for a couple of weeks.
    09-16-2011 08:38 AM
    For all we know they got that date from AC. AC were the first and only ones to post that date. All of the major tech sites didn't even post a date. While it would be really sweet, the 18th is not looking good.
    I do believe Slashgear also had Mentioned the 18th and later pulled
    the date out. Didn't confirm this one either, but someone had watched the presser
    online, claimed Samsung actually stated the 18th for ATT.
    09-16-2011 08:45 AM
    I'm thinking Sprint paid extra for some period of
    domestic exclusivity. At least to be able to say they
    launched it first. Still REALLY hoping ATT will have it
    Sunday, just couldn't announce it earlier due to Sprint deal..
    At minimum, I want this phone next weekend
    This. I'm not giving up just yet though. Although I'd like it this weekend because its honestly torture to not have a smart phone.
    09-16-2011 08:52 AM
    I do believe Slashgear also had Mentioned the 18th and later pulled
    the date out. Didn't confirm this one either, but someone had watched the presser
    online, claimed Samsung actually stated the 18th for ATT.
    I watched the presser and Samsung did not once mention a date for AT&T. I did see the 18th in a chat though. Not sure where it came from. And Slashgear still has the article posted with the 18th in the headline. Weird.

***and if you read the first comment to the article it is someone asking where they got the 18th as a release date as the press release nor Samsung mentioned a date.
    09-16-2011 09:24 AM
    I watched the presser and Samsung did not once mention a date for AT&T. I did see the 18th in a chat though. Not sure where it came from. And Slashgear still has the article posted with the 18th in the headline. Weird.
    Yeah there definitely seems to be several different sources that are reporting the 18th but nothing official from AT&T which unfortunately is the only one that matters. I wish they would quit screwing around and just give us the damn date.
    09-16-2011 09:30 AM
    Yeah there definitely seems to be several different sources that are reporting the 18th but nothing official from AT&T which unfortunately is the only one that matters. I wish they would quit screwing around and just give us the damn date.
    Amen brother.
    09-16-2011 08:01 PM
    Amen brother.
    And pass the peas....

I would never of believed a mere .2 of an inch could keep me from getting a phone.... But I had the Infuse for a week, and I gotta tell you, when that phone was OFF, it was always a, "smidge
    too big", when screen was ON, it didn't bother me. But I an holding out for At&t cuz I think its the perfect size, I prefer the squared off corners vs Sprints more rounded ones, At&t's signal is better than Sprints in my area, and last but not least, I am dying for the opportunity (no matter how far on the future it may be) to whip out my phone at the first Express Pay terminal I encounter, and my SGS ll's NFC chip is chomping at the bit too... lol I been reading up on Google Wallet, I know a lot of ppl don't trust the technology yet, but im almost thinking its worth getting hacked just to be able to use it... Lol
    J/k : )

BTC
    09-16-2011 10:31 PM
    09-17-2011 11:47 AM
    Unfortunately it seems all of these smaller sites are simply getting that date from whichever site first reported it. None of them state a source. Regardless I just tried calling two more stores and both were clueless. (which is not shocking) I was really hoping for tomorrow but as of now I don't think it's in the cards.
    09-17-2011 12:15 PM
    09-17-2011 12:37 PM
    Interesting. This is really getting insane now. If it does drop tomorrow I'd be really interested to know why they didn't announce a date. I would just find it weird that nothing was said what so ever even if it was only one day notice. Just guess at 10 tomorrow morning I'll be making a few phone calls. In the meantime I will keep checking this thread.
    09-17-2011 12:51 PM
    That was the posters first post on the forum. My local at&t just told me they have no info when the GII will launch.
    09-17-2011 01:08 PM
    I just got off the phone with my store in Allentown, PA and they said that they were releasing a wave of new phones in two weeks and he's looking at the GS2 being in that wave
    09-17-2011 02:04 PM
    Yep, I just heard from 2 reps, delay till October. My scenario in the Sept 25th thread.
    09-17-2011 02:16 PM
    I seem to remember this was the case with the Captivate too. I remember it being a VERY soft launch for AT&T compared with the other carriers, and there being very little concrete confirmation that the phones would be in stores until a day or two before they came out.

If they don't surface this Sunday, I wouldn't count on seeing them until the next weekend because AT&T mostly releases new product only on Sundays...
    I think it's very likely to launch tomorrow. They rarely advertise their release dates. On the Inspire's release date, prior to, there had been absolutely no advertising (no commercials; not even word from AT&T). Sure enough, on the day of, I went to Best Buy and got one. I was the only one there (at opening) for that purpose. I'm not really shaken much by the lack of confirmations. I'm heading to a store tomorrow fully expecting to pick one up. I've seen several articles, including one from our very own Android Central state the release date as the 18th.
    09-17-2011 03:01 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD