So being in IT I have the opportunity to order and test certain cell phone devices to ensure compatibility with our mobile site and applications. Recently I received the Droid Bionic from Verizon. The Bionic is a MONSTER. I am regularly getting 11mbps down on this phone and can get upto 24mbps with good signal. This phone browses as fast as or faster than some wifi connections. I have had the phone on demo for about a week and have to return it on the 15th of October.

This morning I walk into work and have a package with an Infuse 4g and an Atrix 4g from AT&T. Immediately I set the phones up and download speedtest from the Android Market. I have almost full bars of signal on both phones, showing H+

I was surprised that the fastest download speed either phone reached was 1.4mbps (in Philadelphia Pennsylvania). I tried the test at different times of the day with the same results.

My question is, should I expect the Samsung Galaxy SII on AT&T to have any better speeds? I am currently using an iphone 4 as my personal device from AT&T and it gets better speeds than either of these "4G" phones but not nearly as fast or even close, as the Verizon Droid Bionic. I have been following the SGSII news since they first announced it, and died a little inside when the rest of the world got it months before us. I am now contemplating if the sheer speed of the Verizon network could force me to switch from AT&T (been with them since 2000). Has anyone heard of SGSII on AT&T having decent network speed? I am guessing it will be about the same as the other two phones since they both are on good hardware and it is AT&T that is just slow?

thanks
    09-19-2011 06:40 PM
    It seems like some places don't have the "4G" enhanced backhaul fully setup. I recently had an Atrix 4G and I never did a speed test, but I can say that it was significantly faster than my iPhone 4, and I am in San Antonio, Texas. It seems like some places do, and some places don't have that enhanced backhaul. But also now AT&T rolled out their LTE network this past Sunday the 18th of Sept. in 5 cities, including San Antonio, and I can say that the speeds were just as fast as the Atrix 4G I was using. I was using a HTC Tablet at the time so who knows if that was the hardware, but maybe the network itself still needs some work? Just something to think about.
    09-19-2011 08:48 PM
    that has to be market and TOD. After the mtc load for the infuse, I am able to get 10mbps down sometimes and 1.1 up constantly. On average where I travel I get between 5 and 8mbps down.

On my Inspire I usually get around 6 down and 1.1 up.
    09-19-2011 09:08 PM
    The sgsII will not be better. It is hspa+ like the other 4 g phones for ATT. In Dallas I get 6 down and 1up pretty consistently on my Atrix. While lte is fast, battery life is terrible. Depends in which is more important. Speed or battery? As a sales person, battery life trumps speed for me and my team.
    09-20-2011 07:23 AM
    Interesting, thanks for the replies. I guess backhaul is not yet complete in Philadelphia. If I could get 3-6mbps down on an HSPA+ device on ATT I would be very happy. I hope ATT rolls out their LTE fairly fast and gets some true LTE devices out on the market like Verizon has.
    09-20-2011 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD