Sgs2 without data?

JoeR32

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a line i haven't upgraded since we opened the account, and its just a simple line without a data plan just wondering if i can upgrade without adding data cause i wish to use it on a different line/#? What do you guys suggest/ think? Thanks in advance!:D

Last edited:

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
No, you must get a data plan on that line, even if you plan to use that phone for a different line.

When I spoke to the AT&T retention rep I asked this question as well. Basically, I have an iphone 4 right now, and I don't want it anymore. I am good for an upgrade in November, but I can't deal with this phone any longer (horrible office reception that's getting worse). The conversation went like this:

Her: "You can add a line and get the new phone at 2 year contract price for $10 a month."
Me: "Does that mean I need to carry a separate data package on that line?"
Her: "No, once you move the new smartphone to your main line you don't need an extra data package on that line"

She has scheduled to call me back on the release of the GSII to order it and verify what she has said is true. You can take that for what it's worth I suppose.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is such thing called early upgrade if you pay a fee. It used to be $75. Now AT&T raised it to $200 (or maybe $250). So, basically you can go to a corp store and pay $200 + $199 = $400 without getting a second line. If you add a second line, even if you can get away with the data plan (I seriously doubt it), your cost on that line will be around $13 to $15 a month when you add all the fees and taxes. That will be $312 to $360 for 2-year contract. Way higher than just pay the early upgrade fee. Or you can simply buy the phone with no contract for not much more.

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
There is such thing called early upgrade if you pay a fee. It used to be $75. Now AT&T raised it to $200 (or maybe $250). So, basically you can go to a corp store and pay $200 + $199 = $400 without getting a second line. If you add a second line, even if you can get away with the data plan (I seriously doubt it), your cost on that line will be around $13 to $15 a month when you add all the fees and taxes. That will be $312 to $360 for 2-year contract. Way higher than just pay the early upgrade fee. Or you can simply buy the phone with no contract for not much more.

I think she mentioned on the phone that due to a contract with apple they are not allowed to do any early upgrades. I am not 100% sure on that though. I really should call back and see what my options are.

I was also thinking of buying the phone off contract (I think someone said it was $550), selling my iphone 4 (I see them go on ebay for 300-400$) and then using my upgrade to buy an iphone5 and turn around and sell that on ebay the first day.

Not really sure what I need to do to make this happen, but I will make it happen.

JoeR32

May 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the input, however no way Im paying full retail for the phone as beautiful as it is, i spoke to a couple reps when i had an inspire that i wanted to get rid but i was past due on my 30 day trial (Idk what
its called) and of course they wouldn't let me exchange it but he also said i can upgrade that line and get a different phone, he didn't mention adding anything. Unless it was because i didn't ask :-(
What if i get sneaky, upgrade the line with simple data plan then call from home and remove it?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What if i get sneaky, upgrade the line with simple data plan then call from home and remove it?

It really doesn't matter. AT&T system now automatically check your line. If you use any Smartphone that was AT&T branded or AT&T has the IMEI range to identify it as Smartphone, you will get automatically added a smartphone data plan if one is not available on that line. You will typically receive a text message.

zmagrini

May 13, 2011
Visit site
It really doesn't matter. AT&T system now automatically check your line. If you use any Smartphone that was AT&T branded or AT&T has the IMEI range to identify it as Smartphone, you will get automatically added a smartphone data plan if one is not available on that line. You will typically receive a text message.

this happened to me with my blackberry. they will find out

JoeR32

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Good news to anyone who had this same question, i called att customer service and they said i can upgrade that line and tell them not to activate a sim card cause i will be using data from my line, he said i should be fine :) now i cant wait to get this SII!

MarkPharaoh

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
That baffles me, I refuse to believe it until people actually try and succeed on the 2nd. Can't wait to hear those stories if it ends up working. This is something you definitely can't do online...I have tried.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I've done "alternate upgrades" at ATT where use one of my kids' lines to get a smartphone for myself. I did that to get the Samsung Captivate and also the white iPhone 4. My kids only have "feature phones" and don't have data on their lines. I know which reps at my local ATT will do that kind of stuff and which ones won't. Basically, the younger, "hungrier" reps will do that kind of stuff. There is one old geezer that is strictly by the book so I don't deal with him!

Also, if I understand correctly, you are due for an upgrade in November anyway. It probably wouldn't cost you too much to buy out of your current contract and get a new phone since you are so close anyway. Never hurts to ask.

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I've done "alternate upgrades" at ATT where use one of my kids' lines to get a smartphone for myself. I did that to get the Samsung Captivate and also the white iPhone 4. My kids only have "feature phones" and don't have data on their lines. I know which reps at my local ATT will do that kind of stuff and which ones won't. Basically, the younger, "hungrier" reps will do that kind of stuff. There is one old geezer that is strictly by the book so I don't deal with him!

Also, if I understand correctly, you are due for an upgrade in November anyway. It probably wouldn't cost you too much to buy out of your current contract and get a new phone since you are so close anyway. Never hurts to ask.

Wouldn't buying out the contract essentially be the ETF and then I wouldn't be able to get unlimited data back?

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It's really sad to see people responding to threads like these with completely wrong information. What I'm about to type out is the whole truth, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH. Ignore everything else that you've read.

If you want to upgrade a line, and use the smartphone on a different line, you can remove the smartphone package from the line that you upgraded. YOU DO NOT NEED A DATA PLAN UNLESS THAT LINE IS ACTUALLY USING A SMARTPHONE. If you're currently using a smartphone with "SMARTPHONE EXLUSION," you cannot go back to not having data if you upgrade.

Example A:
Your kid is eligible for an upgrade, you're not. The kid is using a Samsung Impression and he loves the **** out of that thing. You can upgrade his line, and put your SIM into the Galaxy S II. Your kid can keep tapping away on that Impression like nothing happened. You can remove the data package from his line. Just have the rep remove it. You don't even need to supply his IMEI, they can just remove that ****. No problems. You just need to have the appropriate data plan for you line, since your SIM is in there. eg- an iPhone or BlackBerry data plan will not work with the Galaxy S II, you need "HSPA+ Smartphone 2GB."

Example B:
You can add a line to a current family plan. That line will include a data plan, but you can simply remove it and put the SIM into a cheap GoPhone, or throw it in a drawer somewhere. This WILL cost you more money in the longrun if you do not have a need for the extra line. An Early upgrade for the GSII will be $450. Adding an unnecessary extra line to your account will cost you more money than the early upgrade fee of $250 on top of the $200 sale price. At an approximate cost of $12 (9.99 add-a-line, plus taxes +fees), you're looking at $324 over the course of two years, including the $36 activation fee. This $324 is on top of the sale price of $199.99. (Activating additional lines went from $26 to $36 a few months ago.)

If you have unlimited on your current line, you can DEFINITELY keep it. There's no need to lose that. You can always get it back if you need. There's always a way to get it back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freyon77