NFC or not?

anon87311

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I read on I think bgr that the GS2 for AT&T didn't have an NFC option in the menus. :/ anyone have any thoughts on why it wouldn't be there?

zmagrini

May 13, 2011
Visit site
i am pretty sure that the phone has NFC capabilities but it may not be polished yet. at&t is probably holding it back for some reason. not sure though.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
i am pretty sure that the phone has NFC capabilities but it may not be polished yet. at&t is probably holding it back for some reason. not sure though.

I second that answer. I think software wise there is no standard yet in America. There is two competing standards I think. The hardware is there it's on the battery. Compare the thickness of the AT&T and the European version of the batteries the AT&T is thicker.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I know ATT is part of a group developing a payment system called ISIS.
Maybe ATT is trying to hold back until their system is ready. I hope Google Wallet will be available on my ATT Samsung Galaxy S2 (as of oct 2nd.)

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Knowing AT&T, they're probably waiting until they can devise a way to charge a monthly fee or get 10 percent of every transaction.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Knowing AT&T, they're probably waiting until they can devise a way to charge a monthly fee or get 10 percent of every transaction.

Haha, this. We can get around it with a rom hopefully. I'd like to use Google Wallet now that Visa is in the mix.

boondoc

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Man that's lame! An Android phone should be able to utilize all Google services!
once it's rooted and dumped and people start making i777 specific roms someone will port it over. the question is... do you trust that someone enough to let their rom have access to a stream of funds?

sigmamason

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
NFC is not a Google thing per se as Nokia and Moto and other cell makers were pushing this tech years ago. I remember a co-worker being in Japan back in the early 2000's and sending over pics of coke machines that allowed users to push a button and then use a code on their phone to buy Coke products. I also remember being at a major beer maker on a tour and they should off a prototype machine that did the same over in Europe and Asia...

Last edited:

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
With enough ranting to AT&T they will open up. They had to cave with the Amazon apps sideloading issue. They have to keep it open. As far as NFC in Asia, they are far ahead in this technology. Its in Europe and Africa. We here are sheepish about the tech and safety, but it is much more secure than giving someone a credit card. You need a pin for every transaction, not so with a credit card. You get an electric receipt, that alone saves on trees. :D