Who's Stoked on This Upcoming Sunday? (October 2nd)

beandoc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by the Best Buy by my house yesterday and when ahead and pre-ordered mine as well. I guess they just rolled out a new software update or new software and none of the people working had any idea what they were doing.

Instead of ending up getting a gift card, even though the piece of paper they gave me says I should have I got a receipt and a hand written note from one of the front end leaders basically saying they couldn't figure out how to get my $50 on a gift card. She said that they would take care of anything and just refund the money if I needed to cancel the pre-order.

I'm going to be pissed if they end up giving me any problems at all.

This is 100% consistent with my situation, and they did say they would just refund the money if I didn't get the phone from them. I ashed them a lot of questions, and they were consistent in saying I could just get the $50 back easily.

Reactions: Simba501

travis442

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This is 100% consistent with my situation, and they did say they would just refund the money if I didn't get the phone from them. I ashed them a lot of questions, and they were consistent in saying I could just get the $50 back easily.

Yep pretty much what they told me as well, it was pretty annoying that they didn't know how to use their own system. I think it took three of them plus calling people just to get it done like they did.

What is weird is on the email that I got for the order it has an estimated pickup date of yesterday. Not sure how that is something that they could have put in but came from the system.

In my case there is a Costco right next to the Best Buy and from what people have been saying it sounds like Costco has a better return policy than Best Buy does so I'll probably swing by Costco first and see if they have it and if so I'll just go and cancel my one from Best Buy.

Trip64

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by the Best Buy by my house yesterday and when ahead and pre-ordered mine as well. I guess they just rolled out a new software update or new software and none of the people working had any idea what they were doing.

Instead of ending up getting a gift card, even though the piece of paper they gave me says I should have I got a receipt and a hand written note from one of the front end leaders basically saying they couldn't figure out how to get my $50 on a gift card. She said that they would take care of anything and just refund the money if I needed to cancel the pre-order.

I'm going to be pissed if they end up giving me any problems at all.

i got the same thing but i got a pre-order sheet with all the info and a gift card receipt.

i dont think it will be a prob.
:-\

Siroc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Are these Bestbuy orders a reservation or just prepaying? If it doesn't hold a phone for you, I don't see the point in it.

travis442

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a reservation and down payment.

Exactly, by pre-ordering we will get a phone reserved for us.

So if they only get 4 phones in and there are 4 people that have pre-ordered someone can't walk into the store and take one of the phones since we have already reserved them. Unfortunately it doesn't guarantee that they will get as many phones as have been pre-ordered but reserves us one when they get them.

Which is also why I'll be going to Costco Sunday morning.

MrszBerry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I dont think I can preorder it at best buy because I am doing an exchange,.

Exactly, by pre-ordering we will get a phone reserved for us.

So if they only get 4 phones in and there are 4 people that have pre-ordered someone can't walk into the store and take one of the phones since we have already reserved them. Unfortunately it doesn't guarantee that they will get as many phones as have been pre-ordered but reserves us one when they get them.

Which is also why I'll be going to Costco Sunday morning.

zmagrini

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I am buying off contract and Best Buy seems to have a much higher no-contract price than AT&T and other carrier stores. Just look at Sprint's version. $499 at Sprint and $699 at Best Buy. The Infuse for AT&T is $449 at AT&T and $599 at Best Buy.

I know Best Buy does price matching as well, I just dont want to go through the hassle. Does anyone know if I can just do an early upgrade for 200 and then get the phone on contract for 200 and save $150? Id only be paying 400 instead of 550. Worth a shot if it could work.

Siroc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
when the phone comes in you have 72hrs to pick it up or they will sell it

If I'm not in Bestbuy 72 minutes after the store opens, I was probably in a car accident. 4 months with a Samsung GoPhone will make me pick up a new phone that quickly.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I am buying off contract and Best Buy seems to have a much higher no-contract price than AT&T and other carrier stores. Just look at Sprint's version. $499 at Sprint and $699 at Best Buy. The Infuse for AT&T is $449 at AT&T and $599 at Best Buy.

I know Best Buy does price matching as well, I just dont want to go through the hassle. Does anyone know if I can just do an early upgrade for 200 and then get the phone on contract for 200 and save $150? Id only be paying 400 instead of 550. Worth a shot if it could work.

According to the AT&T forum, they are saying it is $250 plus the $200 standard upgrade, so $450. If you can get it for $400 then yes it a good deal.

Early Upgrade - AT&T Community Support

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
The wife thinks I am nuts for obsessing over a phone so much. This will be my first Android OS so it is double excitement for me (coming from an iPhone 4). How obsessed? I installed the Android SDK on my PC so I could use the emulator and get familiar with the O.S. I have been running some apps in the emulator to try them out.

I have a zip-loc bag full of goodies that I have been buying for Sunday.
32GB uSD card loaded up with media (check)
MHL USB/HDMI adapter (check)
uSIM to SIM card adapter (check)
various lengths of uUSB cables (check)
USB on-the-go cable (check)
10,000 + songs uploaded to Google Music Beta (check)

Reactions: mpazevedo

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The wife thinks I am nuts for obsessing over a phone so much. This will be my first Android OS so it is double excitement for me (coming from an iPhone 4). How obsessed? I installed the Android SDK on my PC so I could use the emulator and get familiar with the O.S. I have been running some apps in the emulator to try them out.

I have a zip-loc bag full of goodies that I have been buying for Sunday.
32GB uSD card loaded up with media (check)
MHL USB/HDMI adapter (check)
uSIM to SIM card adapter (check)
various lengths of uUSB cables (check)
USB on-the-go cable (check)
10,000 + songs uploaded to Google Music Beta (check)
Haha, man you are ready to go! :) This is how I was when I got my Evo 4g as my first android phone last year. I almost knew my way around the phone without never even touching it from watching so many YouTube videos. Anyhow, since you went all out with accessories I noticed you were missing bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Here is a video that shows how they take extra advantage of your MHL adapter
Samsung Galaxy S II (S2) Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard, MHL + OTG Demo - YouTube

Also since you used the emulator to prepare yourself for android features and functions, here's a video that shows tricks for doing things specifically for this phone that most of the reviewers don't mention.
Samsung Galaxy S2 Tips & Tricks - YouTube

And last but not least one of the coolest features on this phone that is rarely mentioned...Wifi direct. It let's you download files, video and music from one device to another wirelessly and without a router...so using just the phones and nothing else. And it does this with very fast speeds because of the nature of the wifi direct technology.
WIFI Direct On The Samsung Galaxy S2 - YouTube

Hope this was helpful to anybody that didn't know and sorry if this only makes your week go longer ;)

Reactions: mpazevedo and Emcee

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Haha, man you are ready to go! :) This is how I was when I got my Evo 4g as my first android phone last year. I almost knew my way around the phone without never even touching it from watching so many YouTube videos. ..................
Thanks for the videos. I have watched the 2nd video a few times (good stuff in there). I am not sure if I will get a BT mouse or keyboard, but at least that option is there if I want to. Yep, I have scoured Youtube and the web for everything Galaxy S2 and Android. I have only been watching the S2 for about six weeks. I can only imagine the pain of people that have been waiting for it since it hit Europe.

Here is a good review of the ATT S2 that I found this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33HzYWL_MRc&feature=youtu.be

mhopii

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Not to make the wait any worse but we (att) have received our stock of the GSII. I have included pics comparing the size to my Sammy Infuse. Let me tell you, the size is perfect! My Infuse is too big and the GSII feels great in my hand*.

The one in the picture is actually mine but I have only been able to use it for a couple of hours because of how busy my day has been. The first thing I noticed is that the dual core makes the OS extremely snappy! The screen is gorgeous as expected and my battery is still alive and kicking which is a great sign since i havent charged it at all.

I will post more as i use it more but Im sure you guys know what to expect by now. Sunday is only a few days away!

*Thats what she said
Sry couldnt help it

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I called up my local AT&T store. The dude said that they will not be doing pre orders, but (and I quote) he's been "getting calls about it, but not nearly the influx that they get when a new iPhone is about to come out." Which he basically made clear that if I show up at 11:00am on Sunday I'm almost guaranteed to get a phone.

Question now is do I fork the $50 over at Best Buy to have my name on a list so that if AT&T runs short, I have a second place to go? Or just show up at 10:00am on Sunday and start a line :)

Decisions, decisions. I really don't think us Sunday goers will be walking out empty handed. The guy at my AT&T store seemed pretty confident in what he was saying.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Not to make the wait any worse but we (att) have received our stock of the GSII. I have included pics comparing the size to my Sammy Infuse. Let me tell you, the size is perfect! My Infuse is too big and the GSII feels great in my hand*.

The one in the picture is actually mine but I have only been able to use it for a couple of hours because of how busy my day has been. The first thing I noticed is that the dual core makes the OS extremely snappy! The screen is gorgeous as expected and my battery is still alive and kicking which is a great sign since i havent charged it at all.

I will post more as i use it more but Im sure you guys know what to expect by now. Sunday is only a few days away!

*Thats what she said
Sry couldnt help it

Give us a review of what you think!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol