Bold 9000 to iphone 5(mentally) to GS2

peanutgs2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have been doing a lot of research on here while considering what phone to get next. I have been using a Blackberry Bold 9000 for the past 2 years and I am foaming at the mouth to get something new.

For the past year i have been following Apple and the release of the iphone 5. I had been following it all the way up to September 1st when i saw Samsung intro the Galaxy Note. I watched all the videos on youtube and saw them compare it to the GS2. It didnt take long until i felt like i wouldnt be happy with what the iphone 5 will bring to the table after seeing what phones like the Note and GS2 have. I was really hoping the AT&T GS2 would have the 4.5" screen but 4.3" is better than the iphone 5s rumored 4" max. For me, I talk on my Blackberry maybe 10% of what i actually use the phone for. The other 90% is texting, emailing, browsing(crap on blackberry) streaming pandora, twitter, camera(crap on blackberry) and google maps while trying to navigate. Now, one may say, coming from a Bold 9000 to anything else would be a monumental increase in screen real estate but i do have an ipod touch i use on wifi at home for the past couple years so i am used to the 3.5" and it seems really small for browsing. I said over two years ago that the iphone should have a bigger screen.

When i heard rumors 2 years ago about the ipad i was like "here we go! now they're on to something!" but when it was announced that it wouldn't have a camera for facetime, i bought Apple stock instead of buying the Apple ipad because i knew people would go banana's over it. I cant believe they still arent coming out with anything new for the iphone, and when i say new i mean something breakthrough. Not just more power and higher resolution. Like they just got it right the first time or something. Maybe i'll come back to apple when they do. But for now, we are 3 days away after waiting for a LONG time.

I have flipped and flopped but in the end i want a phone that i am going to be happy with for at least a while before i get the itch for the next thing. It seems like the GS2 is the best of all worlds at the moment with its larger screen and mega processing power and it doesnt hurt that it is being released earlier than the iphone 5. I have a one main question that i havent seen anywhere so i thought i would ask.

I am someone of a purist and REALLY not a fan of the "Galaxy SII" embossed on the back of the AT&T version. The international phones just say Samsung, right? Will those battery covers fit the AT&T version? If so where can I get one? All i see online are cases. Any other options?

Thats it. Thanks! and cant wait for Sunday!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Iphone 5 hasn't been announced yet, all specs are rumors at this point. You can't compare that device to another until tuesday. Believe me when I tell you that I am looking forward to the Samsung GS2 on at&t, however I will likely wait until after tuesdays keynote to make my decision.

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
All the GS2's including international say Galaxy SII on the back and I like it. :p The difference is the American Versions will say Sprint AT&T or T-Moblie on the front or back something I'm not fond of.

Reactions: Foolo

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
All the GS2's including international say Galaxy SII on the back and I like it. :p The difference is the American Versions will say Sprint AT&T or T-Moblie on the front or back something I'm not fond of.

at&t GS2 has at&t logo on the front and standard GS2 on the battery cover.

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Ya I know I was saying I don't like carrier labeling at all. Especially on the front which AT&T did. I would have rather had the Sprints version of keeping the front and back the same but leaving a little Sprint logo on the back rather than having the AT&T one on the front top.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but I too have noticed int'l versions with just "Samsung" on them. I was actually wondering the same thing! I considered buying one off ebay when I get the phone just to see. I agree that it looks better and its kinda funny I'm not the only one wanting to do that.

peanutgs2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Iphone 5 hasn't been announced yet, all specs are rumors at this point. You can't compare that device to another until tuesday. Believe me when I tell you that I am looking forward to the Samsung GS2 on at&t, however I will likely wait until after tuesdays keynote to make my decision.

You're right. A small part of my brain is telling me to wait 2 more days just to be sure.

I could have swore i saw a version of the GS2 that just said "SAMSUNG" on the back...like the Infuse.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You did.

Samsung-Galaxy-S2-back.jpg

peanutgs2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Okay....i just google image searched "Samsung Galaxy SII back". Almost every single image of the back just says SAMSUNG.

Reactions: Foolo

TBayTom

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I usually get a case to protect the phone anyways, so not too picky on what it says on the back. I personally like the four buttons that the US versions have, probably because I'm so used to my Captivate.

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay....i just google image searched "Samsung Galaxy SII back". Almost every single image of the back just says SAMSUNG.

OK OK I LIED

I'm pretty sure you can use the international versions backing on the AT&T if you really want to keep it.

I kinda like the GALAXY S II logo though.

duncanator

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I think I feel the same as you. I've been an iPhone user since the beginning and since I still am using my 3Gs, I am ready for a change. Since the iPhone announcement is only two days after the release of the GSII, I probably will wait and see what Apple has planned. The main thing making me want to switch is that iOS5 will add new features, but the basic display with a grid of tiles will not change. After four years, I'm getting bored with it. Since I like to tinker and customize my electronics, Apple may not be for me anymore. I think the main benefit to owning an iPhone is that I know I will have the most current device for at least a year. With an android device, that will last maybe weeks.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Lol, true, but the specs on this phone are good. You'll never be able to keep up with the Jones with technology without a lot of money. I too got tired of the grid of tiles, so the switch will be complete on Sunday when I pick up the new GS2! Good luck with your decision.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I think I feel the same as you. I've been an iPhone user since the beginning and since I still am using my 3Gs, I am ready for a change. Since the iPhone announcement is only two days after the release of the GSII, I probably will wait and see what Apple has planned. The main thing making me want to switch is that iOS5 will add new features, but the basic display with a grid of tiles will not change. After four years, I'm getting bored with it. Since I like to tinker and customize my electronics, Apple may not be for me anymore. I think the main benefit to owning an iPhone is that I know I will have the most current device for at least a year. With an android device, that will last maybe weeks.

I heard it best from one of the Android Central Podcasts, The iPhone is a good phone, it's simple to use, too simple. Slide the screen press the picture with words underneath. The Android you have to do a little bit of thinking. I give credit to Apple, but it is so boring. My 3GS is ready for retirement. I'll use it as a glorified iPod, but that's it. I might be looking into getting one of those Samsung S 5" music players coming out shortly. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanator

peanutgs2

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Decisions, decisions.....if i wait for October 4th i might as well wait for October 11th to see if the Nexus is announced. And the waiting continues.....even if they announce it, it could be half a year until a stateside carrier has it available and by then there will be something new to announce.

Anyone else considering holding off on the GS2 for the Nexus Prime?

travis442

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Decisions, decisions.....if i wait for October 4th i might as well wait for October 11th to see if the Nexus is announced. And the waiting continues.....even if they announce it, it could be half a year until a stateside carrier has it available and by then there will be something new to announce.

Anyone else considering holding off on the GS2 for the Nexus Prime?

I'm not I have waited around long enough for AT&T to get a phone running Android that I actually want and now that its finally here I'm going to jump on it. Based on reviews and what people are saying this is a pretty awesome phone and will more than handle everything that I'm going to throw at it.

Phones and computers are just alike now days, as soon as you buy it its already out of date, so if you are continually waiting to see whats new you will never get something as there is always something better coming out.

With Apples announcement I would imagine you could expect the next Iphone to be out within the next month, but for the Nexus Prime who knows how long it will take to get to AT&T. Especially if it is going to be released on Verizon first.

Guess its all a mater of preference but I don't really have a desire to wait any longer.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not I have waited around long enough for AT&T to get a phone running Android that I actually want and now that its finally here I'm going to jump on it. Based on reviews and what people are saying this is a pretty awesome phone and will more than handle everything that I'm going to throw at it.

Guess its all a mater of preference but I don't really have a desire to wait any longer.

This.