Not eligible for upgrade, buy from ATT or get unbranded/unlocked?

Squidbert

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
So I won't be eligible for a subsidized phone upgrade for another couple months. Even if I was at this point, I think I'd still consider avoiding a contract and paying full price (I don't care to be shackled by a contract, and may decide to switch carriers in the future).

Considering my situation, what would you do? I know the international version lacks NFC and I may have warranty issues. I may or may not be able to obtain one for less money vs paying $550 (reportedly) through AT&T. Not sure how having a non-branded version would affect OS updates or accessory availability. Not being locked to AT&T could be nice if I decided to switch to another GSM network and could possibly make the phone easier to sell in the future.

I'm really on the fence regarding this. Any suggestions?

rbj13

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not eligible for upgrade, buy from ATT or get unbranded/unloc

I would go with International version unless you like the 4 button config on the att version. Less bloat and unlocked can't beat that.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I can tell you that Samsung will not support the international version in US. I asked Samsung support when tHe unlocked version was on dailysteals for only$499.
No warranty support and no official software upgrades.

I would think about waiting until u r eligible. Maybe u can get the Nexus or Note, or go for the HTC Holiday w/LTE.
I am using someone elses upgrade myself

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

If you buy off of eBay or something like that, be sure to get the ESN checked before you make the bid

Squidbert

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

No warranty on the international version would be a huge negative. I guess maybe I'll pay full price through AT&T. I did notice Newegg offers service plans on them, I think that'd be the only option with an international phone if Samsung won't provide warranty on the product. The service plans aren't cheap, though.

Aquarianperry

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

So I won't be eligible for a subsidized phone upgrade for another couple months. Even if I was at this point, I think I'd still consider avoiding a contract and paying full price (I don't care to be shackled by a contract, and may decide to switch carriers in the future).

Considering my situation, what would you do? I know the international version lacks NFC and I may have warranty issues. I may or may not be able to obtain one for less money vs paying $550 (reportedly) through AT&T. Not sure how having a non-branded version would affect OS updates or accessory availability. Not being locked to AT&T could be nice if I decided to switch to another GSM network and could possibly make the phone easier to sell in the future.

I'm really on the fence regarding this. Any suggestions?

Do I love the Galaxy S II? Yes!!! Would I pay $550+ for it? Heck no!!! This phone is in its middle age phase now looking like a MILF - it's still got the looks and the oomph and can compete with the newer phones but for how much longer??? If I'm buying a phone outright I want the Nexus longevity to be there with the first or second in line updates for a good year or more.

IF you can't buy it on contract I'd say wait another week until the announcements from Samsung and Google, if they say the Samsung Nexus Prime is coming out for AT&T within the next month just be patient and buy that outright, if it's just a Verizon exclusive until after the holidays and you can't wait any longer go for it. It's too late in the game to buy the Galaxy S II outright with so many good phones coming to AT&T in the next couple of months (Prime, Holiday, Atrix 2, etc), and at that point you could easily go to AT&T if your within two months of your end of contract and but one of those outright or even let them push you an early upgrade if you like.

eawortman

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
There is very likely to be a GSM version of the Nexus Prime, every Nexus has had one. If you are going to buy without being subsidized anyway just go for that. No point getting a full price Samsung Galaxy S 2 this late in the game, unless you really want TouchWiz.

Rumors put the Nexus announcement at Oct 11.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

My two cents. Wait till October 11 when Samsung will announce a new phone or phones. Then decide. In the end it's your money.

Squidbert

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for pointing out those upcoming phones. I was under the impression that the Nexus Prime was going to be a Verizon only phone. I'll hold off for a while and see what happens!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair