10-06-2011 12:05 PM
69 123
tools
    Because push is intended to have a constant connection. Between poll intervals you can turn this off. And if you're turning your wifi/data packets off between pushes you might as well be polling.
    10-05-2011 02:41 AM
    Because push is intended to have a constant connection. Between poll intervals you can turn this off. And if you're turning your wifi/data packets off between pushes you might as well be polling.
    I think you're idea of what push is is a little off. Push is server side only. It's an API that Google has written so that the phone doesn't have to ask for an answer from the server.

I've noticed no difference in battery life after disabling sync for my Gmail (it's the only email I use).

Sent from my SGS II
    10-05-2011 08:15 AM
    so i went to bed with everything turned off
    apn
    wifi
    etc

100% charge, woke up 9 hours later 85%

first night i only lose 3-5% with almost same settings im wondering if i have a faulty battery now
    10-05-2011 09:28 AM
    I just keep my connected to the charger over night.
    10-05-2011 09:47 AM
    can any one post their idle battery usage/reception/and settings?

i had everything off and i lose more than my first night so i think something is messed up
    could it be that i dled a buncha apps? none are open or syncing

i check running processes and i see a bunch of stuff running that is not even on

like crime story(what does it mean running process if its not open). is this the life of an android user? i have to go to settings and manage every app i want off ? i open a game close it and it still runs so i gotta go here? not even task manager will do this for me?

i stopped some apps but they dont seem to be stopped, also
    10-05-2011 10:11 AM
    Kevin, no offense, but I think you need to read up on the different techniques implemented for push e-mail. I don't know what GMAIL uses, but the most popular other method is via EXCHANGE. You aren't giving out truly accurate information. Here's some accurate EXCHANGE PUSH (google it) information vs Fetch/Polling:

"Technically push is only supposed to use bandwidth when the server tells it there is a new message available, however it must maintain a secure connection to the server, this connection is broken and re-established throughout the day so it ends up being almost constant whereas fetch only uses bandwidth at a specified polling interval."

So in essence, if you get a TON of e-mails, you will use more battery vs fetch.....however, if you only get a few e-mails a day push would end up better than fetch/polling.
    10-05-2011 03:41 PM
    so i went to bed with everything turned off
    apn
    wifi
    etc

100% charge, woke up 9 hours later 85%

first night i only lose 3-5% with almost same settings im wondering if i have a faulty battery now
    Your current numbers seem far more realistic than your first night numbers...
    10-05-2011 03:51 PM
    Kevin, no offense, but I think you need to read up on the different techniques implemented for push e-mail. I don't know what GMAIL uses, but the most popular other method is via EXCHANGE. You aren't giving out truly accurate information. Here's some accurate EXCHANGE PUSH (google it) information vs Fetch/Polling:

"Technically push is only supposed to use bandwidth when the server tells it there is a new message available, however it must maintain a secure connection to the server, this connection is broken and re-established throughout the day so it ends up being almost constant whereas fetch only uses bandwidth at a specified polling interval."

So in essence, if you get a TON of e-mails, you will use more battery vs fetch.....however, if you only get a few e-mails a day push would end up better than fetch/polling.
    I'm ok with being wrong, especially when information is presented to show it. I'm also not sure what implementation gmail uses, but I haven't noticed any difference in battery life with sync on vs off for gmail. So I guess my EXPERIENCE is that with gmail it doesn't make a difference.

And I could see Exchange being the most popular overall, but on Android it's probably gmail (since everyone is required to have one, and I'm sure 99% of people don't turn off sync).
    10-05-2011 05:42 PM
    Reports of a bug causing the Android OS usage to be high.

[REF] What Android OS bug is and is not - xda-developers
    Simba501 likes this.
    10-06-2011 02:07 AM
    Thank you timber. For some reason I was unable to articulate what I was trying to say as eloquently as you did. Although I'm fairly confident I said the exact same thing but I guess it takes two voices of reason for some to believe.
    timberga likes this.
    10-06-2011 03:20 AM
    If you believe a rogue app is to blame for draining your battery try removing one suspect app at a time aand take note of battery depletion over the course of say a 15 minutes. Then leave all settings the same and remove another app one at a time to see if any improve performance. You could also post all settings and apps running so that people can evaluate what's going on with your device. If you feel the 15 Mina is too long or short an interval use what feels sufficient to you.
    10-06-2011 03:28 AM
    Reports of a bug causing the Android OS usage to be high.

[REF] What Android OS bug is and is not - xda-developers
    Perfect explanation of the AOS bug. Thanks.

Sent from my SGS II
    10-06-2011 07:12 AM
    so i am so confused at my battery life! here is the deal
    i posted somewhere here or another thread that my battery has ups n downs since i got it

the first day i got it, it barely drained 5% in 8 hours over night, the third night it drained 15%!
    yesterday i was at 85% at 8am and headed off to work, mild - heavy usage im at 13% by 7pm and depressed about the poor battery

i turn it off so i can charge it faster ( first time i turned it off to charge) and charged it for 1 hour and 30 and headed off to my friends

so the battery charged fast since it was off, i was at 77%

same settings, wifi/gps/bt/everything off EXCEPT apn, i wanted to see my reception at my friends. Nothing diff about 3 bars(forgot to check the decibals but at home and work i get -105-111), have yet to see full bars which my other phone always had at this location(friends)

very mild use (call/browse for a few min) n passing phone around to friends to check it out ( they all liked it lol)
    i cudnt believe at how every 30 minutes i checked and it was STILL 77%, by the end of the night at 2:30 am i was still at 75-76 %, WTF? i went from losing 3% per hour at work EASILY to to once again barely anything over 5-8 hours. i was wondering if it is displaying a wrong % but this morning its at 67% so it is definately sounding about accurate, its back in the charger right now while its turned on

i dont know if my battery is calibrating, or the reception was easier, or if it was because i charged with my phone off, but i do know that if this happens once than it can happen again, so im going to keep my hopes up and try to keep charging it with it off and than see if it works good tomorrow at work where my reception sucks

one thing i gotta ask, what exactly does it mean in the battery usage tab "on battery"
    it says 1 day and 6 hours, but it was charged yesterday at 7 so it wouldnt have been a full day when i semi charged it than, shouldnt it reset every time i unplug the charger?
    10-06-2011 10:20 AM
    Perfect explanation of the AOS bug. Thanks.

Sent from my SGS II

So the question is (being my first android device), how quick do fixes come?
    10-06-2011 10:38 AM
    It will say on battery til it receives a 100% charge. Did you perhaps have your display setting lower during the times it lost battery slowly?
    10-06-2011 10:45 AM
    You could try calibrating the battery, assuming that hasn't been suggested yet.
    10-06-2011 10:57 AM
    the third day i tested with brightness on low, a factor in my dissapointment with the battery life

im not sure how to calibrate but here is my charge history
    i let it fully charge to 95-100% every night
    wake up n go work come home and charge at around 13-20 %

is that calibrating? right now it was at 65% and i charged it to 92% because i decided i want to let it drain

is that going to mess up calibration
    10-06-2011 11:11 AM
    the third day i tested with brightness on low, a factor in my dissapointment with the battery life

im not sure how to calibrate but here is my charge history
    i let it fully charge to 95-100% every night
    wake up n go work come home and charge at around 13-20 %

is that calibrating? right now it was at 65% and i charged it to 92% because i decided i want to let it drain

is that going to mess up calibration
    Not sure. There's an app called battery calibrator on the market. Give it a shot.
    10-06-2011 12:02 PM
    Not sure. There's an app called battery calibrator on the market. Give it a shot.

Don't you need to be rooted for that?
    10-06-2011 12:05 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD