battery life drained like 2% over 7-8 hours?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
A few things about battery life.

1) Yes, it seems to take a long time to charge. Not sure why that is, or if there's a way to get it to charge faster. It was the same way on the Infuse, so maybe it's a Samsung thing.

2) The screenshots you guys are posting is only indicative of the percentage of what's being used. So if Android OS is using 82% that just means that it's using 82% of whatever battery has been used. So if you have 40% battery life left, and Android OS is using 82%, then that means it used 82% of the 60% that has been used.

3) Battery life will vary based on a TON of factors. Location, signal strength, usage, and screen brightness are just a few.

As we've only had the phone for a day it's hard to get an accurate gauge on how the battery life will be. I can say (and I haven't rooted yet) that it seems like it will be really good. I used my phone the way it's meant to be, I don't turn off Mobile Network Connection or anything like that. I let my accounts sync regularly, I play games, send texts, and read a lot. I consider my usage to be moderate-heavy.

iSlackerz

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had pretty stellar battery life, IMO.

Phone was off the charger at 6:45 AM PST. Usage consisted of:

25 Min (approx) of calls
20 - 25 min of web browsing.
4 Apps downloaded and played with for 5 - 10 minutes each
15 or so photos taken (most with flash)
A few IM's
12 - 15 texts throughout the day.
4 Speedtests
2 30MB+ files downloaded (over HSPA+)
And showing the phone off to 2 people for a few minutes each.

By 4:30 PM I still had 46% battery left. I'm pretty happy with that.

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys have Power Saving Mode ON or something? I'm guessing it's off by default because I didn't touch it.....

Dunno it's only day 1 but it wasn't good for me

glorifiedsins

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're not actively browsing the net or playing a game/movie then just turn off all nonessentials. Turn wifi off don't allow it to connect to the lte network, then background data off and don't allow it to sync, turn off GPS, and a huge factor turn down your brightness too a minimum. You can also end all unneeded processes via task manager. If the phone's in your pocket and you just want to receive texts and calls you don't need all that junk on and running. Same with Bluetooth unless you use it for an earpiece.

Last edited:

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I had pretty stellar battery life, IMO.

Phone was off the charger at 6:45 AM PST. Usage consisted of:

25 Min (approx) of calls
20 - 25 min of web browsing.
4 Apps downloaded and played with for 5 - 10 minutes each
15 or so photos taken (most with flash)
A few IM's
12 - 15 texts throughout the day.
4 Speedtests
2 30MB+ files downloaded (over HSPA+)
And showing the phone off to 2 people for a few minutes each.

By 4:30 PM I still had 46% battery left. I'm pretty happy with that.

comparable activity but your life is better

my brightness is on lowest
everything discussed is off
only thing i can think of is that i have really bad reception all day most of the time, 1-2 bars at home and 2-3 at work
it usually stays h+..that could be killing me? i mean my phone can technically last a full day on moderate use i feel but i dont want to charge the instant i get home, i mean this is only if i have work n come home

i havent tested going out all night with my friends using n texting more =[ but i feel it would be almost if not dead by the time i come home at this rate

omgabunny

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you have push mail going? I sync with my work Exchange Server via push and gmail too.
I was wondering if I switch to regular polling (like every hour) vs push will help... ?

i just switched to a rom with a lot of bloatware removed. coming from a nexus s, i can't stand the touchwiz additions and at&t apps. i haven't changed to interval polling yet as i just finished rooting/etc but i will get to it tomorrow after a full night's charge. will let ya know.

glorifiedsins

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung batteries aren't meant to charge fast like an iPhones battery for example. But you have the ability to replace/remove the battery on your own. Unlike the iphone. And yes the lte network will drain your battery. You can turn this off via mobile settings at the bottom of your wifi settings. Disable use packet data. This means you have to turn it back on to receive text attachments and to surf the web/receive notifications when not near a wifi source. Also regular polling will save your battery.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
what is regular polling, if i turn off packet data will i still receive regular texts/calls?

whats the point in leaving it on for someone who will not get calls but texts, probably no attachments at all

i mean ill turn it on if i want to browse and cant use wifi. would it be sound to turn off data packets when im off and with my friends, so i basically wont need to call/text as much, and leave it on when im bored at work so i can check facebook or check the market

pauloeyi

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
custom rom for alcatel 0t980 2.1

please help me here....i root my phone and i delete orange map and all games but now i cant access anything on my phone..i have also mistakenly delete contactprovider.apk ..serviceprovder.
how can i get a custom rom for my devices and i will install a custom rom on a phone that is now stock at booting....i can still access adb command. thanks

glorifiedsins

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
what is regular polling, if i turn off packet data will i still receive regular texts/calls?

whats the point in leaving it on for someone who will not get calls but texts, probably no attachments at all

i mean ill turn it on if i want to browse and cant use wifi. would it be sound to turn off data packets when im off and with my friends, so i basically wont need to call/text as much, and leave it on when im bored at work so i can check facebook or check the market

You still receive calls and texts like normal but it wont auto download text message attachments til you turn it back on. And it wont constantly search for the lte network. It will keep you on the 2g-3g network. No effect on calls or normal texts.

As for push vs polling its my understanding that push is basically where your email client or app sends you information when a new message has been received or something has changes warranting a notification. Polling, however, is where you query the client or system yourself to see if anything is new or has changed. So you can decide how often you want to check for notifications instead or them rolling in right away. You can set up most apps to poll for you at regular intervals instead of having the connection constantly open waiting for a push.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Push email (when done properly) uses NO battery because the phone has to do nothing to receive the data. Pull (or polling) will because the phone has to manually check, which means it's going to actively use the data network.

Also, this phone doesn't have an LTE radio, so you can't turn 4G off without turning all mobile data off.

Sent from my SGS II

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Push email (when done properly) uses NO battery because the phone has to do nothing to receive the data. Pull (or polling) will because the phone has to manually check, which means it's going to actively use the data network.

Also, this phone doesn't have an LTE radio, so you can't turn 4G off without turning all mobile data off.

Sent from my SGS II

When done/setup properly???? Care to elaborate?

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
hm how would it drain less battery if its constantly checking for updates vs if i manually check, i have the auto sync thing off and i thought thats what all guides said to do
also i took ss's of my battery
i fully charged b4 sleep, wake up 11 hours later and 20% gone, very dissapointed! especially compared to my first night

my only guess is my low reception??
here are 2 ss's please help and critique on what i can do

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
How do I disable auto upload? It seems like my phone is uploading photos every time I take a new photo... or at least that's what my notification is saying.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
if bad signal is killing me what can i do about it? besides moving because i have bad reception basically only in my house and work, but during the week thats all ill be at =/

my old phone battery didnt drain this easily from bad reception

infact my old phone had better reception at work..4 bars all time

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui