Battery ?

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
is mine broken? When I got it yesterday I couldn't exactly go home right away so I did play with it a little bit while running around stores and watching the football game at my brothers house.

Got it home charged it all night was at 7% when It started charging.

Unplugged it at 1pm EST because yes that is when I wokeup and around 4:30-5pm it starts asking for a charge and beeping?

I mean I admit I customized with it played around with kiesair for like 5min downloaded apps made like 3 calls but it's asking to be charged already and is @ 4%..........??!?

Is this normal.... I've never been a power user my iPhone 3G which I had previously would last be like 1 to almost 2 days......

VZKly.png

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I would say not normal. My first real day of usage was today and I got 15 hr and a few minutes out of mine. I would drain it to 0, then charge it up and see how things go.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
first of all i read its worse for the battery to fully drain before you charge, and i have been reading about batteries all day

i also feel upset with the battery life, but its my first smart phone and i slightly saw this coming

first day of use i charged to full and heavily used it, after i think 7 hours i was in yellow and had wifi/display on the whole time

i heard people easily getting 15+ hours with moderate use but i dont see this coming without being super anal about tweaks

today i came home with 23% left. about 7 hours off charge and moderate-high use
very dissapointed! gona keep testing though n seeing what kills my battery

i did quadrant>speed test>browsing for apps>playing games for under 15 min>checking fb every hour

pandora for maybe 10-15 minutes

didnt feel like i used it that much but my battery ate it

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
first of all i read its worse for the battery to fully drain before you charge, and i have been reading about batteries all day

i also feel upset with the battery life, but its my first smart phone and i slightly saw this coming

first day of use i charged to full and heavily used it, after i think 7 hours i was in yellow and had wifi/display on the whole time

i heard people easily getting 15+ hours with moderate use but i dont see this coming without being super anal about tweaks

today i came home with 23% left. about 7 hours off charge and moderate-high use
very dissapointed! gona keep testing though n seeing what kills my battery

i did quadrant>speed test>browsing for apps>playing games for under 15 min>checking fb every hour

pandora for maybe 10-15 minutes

didnt feel like i used it that much but my battery ate it

7 hours for heavy use is good. The display is the biggest battery user so the more you do on your phone the faster it'll drain (obviously LOL). Having the screen off will make a huge difference, and is why some people are getting much better battery life than what you are. If I never touched my phone it could probably go two days, but that's unrealistic because I didn't get this phone to leave it sitting on a desk. :)

Sent from my SGS II

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Well we still see what happens day 2.........

Are you saying I ruined my battery by not fully charging it right away? =(

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well we still see what happens day 2.........

Are you saying I ruined my battery by not fully charging it right away? =(

You did not ruin your battery. At least once a month discharge it until it turns off and While off, fully charge overnight. It will takes a few days or so to see the full capacity. Take screen off of auto brightness and put to 30-40 % and select screen time out of 30 seconds or less. With all that said, if you can get through a normal work day on this phone, you are doing well.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to add. I am coming from the Atrix and that battery easily outlasts this battery. By about 30 to 35% longer for my usage patterns. In fact, I am also carrying my Atrix in my bag incase I need to switch out my sim card to keep rolling!

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to add. I am coming from the Atrix and that battery easily outlasts this battery. By about 30 to 35% longer for my usage patterns. In fact, I am also carrying my Atrix in my bag incase I need to switch out my sim card to keep rolling!

The Atrix has a beast of a battery tho....keep that in mind.....you might want to opt for the 2000mah extended battery once it's released.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
i am not saying you ruined ur battery, i did the same thing
i played with it while charging, just some advice incase its true

off battery means when you unplug it from the charger rright? sometimes it seems kinda in accurate though

kcnwa

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My battery today, would have lasted 15 hours without a charge. Off the charger at 6am, down to 34% by 4pm. I haven't been using it much today, maybe a few minutes an hour of checking messages This seems really low. My wife's is rocking out strong all day.

Is it possible that I could have a bad phone/battery? I'm strongly considering taking it back. Wife has general setup as me, pretty much stock from AT&T, I have a few more apps then here, but not many... No other widgets other than stock fb, stock weather (on 12 hour refresh)

If I take it to the store, I always know it's a YMMV situation, but do they generally do swaps within the first 30 days for suspected bad batteries?

The only difference is out work location, I'll have to check our battery usage charts when at home, see if it's similar.

Also, I see the battery life sticky thread is now open, should we move general battery discussion there?

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
^ im in the same boat as u
i have full charge at 8am before work, come home at 6pm with mild usage and its like 30-40%

unacceptable, MILD usage! this means if i dont come home and i go somewhere to eat or go out with my friends it will die by 9-10...

im going to test it for a week, i know these type of batteries cant be judged within the first few days so im not like upset or anything just dissapointed at others getting better life

i turned off wifi and dled an apn disabler, i can tell the battery drains less but its dissapointing how fast mine drains because of poor reception ><

ill test again at work with wifi/apn disabled since i wont need it

kcnwa

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm just excited I have my wife's to do side by side comparisons... I'll look at hers tonight and report back. In general this phone is amazing, and I'm not upset at all, but after seeing a few other battery charts that you could walk down, you'd need rope to repel off my chart!

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
how fast does battery drain on playing simple games? i am playing pocket league story for like 5 minutes and saw it drop 3% my only guess is that it was borderline 2% before i started than lost another % but man 2-3 % in 5 minutes? i would understand 20 minutes...i got an android because
1. all the things i heard it can do better than iphone
2. games/apps

and i am scared to even play games like angry bird because of the battery drain, is the iphone 4 supposed to have a way better battery consumption? i heard it does due to the screen but if its not that much better ill stay with my phone

but i will seriously consider downgrading to a iphone 4 if the battery is a lot better, while gaming/music/etc

i never cared about 4g or this fake 4g(its killing me actually id rather have 3g than this battery killing 4g)

but none the less i luv this phone and everything its capable of doing! when i feel comfortable ill root it and mess around to get the full android experience, but right now is battery time >: (

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am in the ball park with you two. Took off at 6 am and at 5pm Central I am at 35% with a medium day of browsing, texting and emails. A few phone calls. As I said I am coming from a Atrix which has a 1900+ mAh battery compared to the SGSII 1650. I quietly put my car charger back into my computer bag this morning incase I need a top off in the car! lol! I also have a separate battery I can charge off of with a micro USB. Bought it for my Captivate a while back.

Overall this is about what I expected for the battery life. Compared to my buddy's Thunderbolt battery, I am happy!!!

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
these phones have great battery life compared to most other android phones...the bigger screen does not help at all. On the other hand, it would be really nice to have about 50% more life! Or a battery that charged a lot quicker so five minutes in the car, or plugged into usb, would show a gain.

Wondering if it is the battery used, or the type of charger that drags it out?