CM7 on the SGII

dingbat005

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So as I am spending a ton of time adding apps and personalizing the phone, I am wondering if perhaps I should install CM7 sooner than later. I am new to android (been desperately awaiting the SGII since march) and like the idea of having open control, but not sure it is really necessary with GB and Touchwiz. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Emcee

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So as I am spending a ton of time adding apps and personalizing the phone, I am wondering if perhaps I should install CM7 sooner than later. I am new to android (been desperately awaiting the SGII since march) and like the idea of having open control, but not sure it is really necessary with GB and Touchwiz. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't yet, they're still working out the kinks. You can keep track of that at XDA.

At least for now, I'm just fine with stock + root.

Reactions: dingbat005

dingbat005

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... thinking on this more, let me refine my question - most of the "why root" threads are pretty old so looking for more of an update - why root this phone, given all of the advancements that the software has made on the GSII compared to a lot of other phones?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The main reason to root right now would be to remove the bloat. Give it a week or two and we'll probably have CM7 nightlies (don't hold me to that as I'm just guessing).

Gottimafia#AC

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have rooted all 3 of my past android devices (HTC Inspire, HTC Thunderbolt, and LG Thrill) I ran CM7 on my Inspire for a while and it was very fast and greatly improved my battery life. I currently still own only the Thunderbolt and it is rooted and running BAMF Sense 3.0. I am a heavy phone user. It rarely goes 10 minutes at a time without me doing something with it. After having used the SGS2 for the past 4 days I can say that the battery life on it is quite awesome, and you can remove alot of the ATT bloatware yourself. That being said I think CM7 is way too "vanilla" for me. I like tons of wiidgets and flashy animations. I like to switch things up often and running different launchers without rooting seems like a great option with this phone considering how fast it is. I get people are always looking to squeeze the last bit of juice out of their devices but if you are unsure or afraid of rooting I think this is a device that you really don't need to.

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
What is meant by CM7 "nightlys"?
Do they ever release a final version or is it always in beta?

From what I have seen of it I like it a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz