Ice Cream Sandwich(Someone had to do it)

asuprice

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you think as flagship devices, the Galaxy S2 line will get earlier updates for ice cream sandwich? I know google made a big deal last year about getting updates out quicker, but how long do you think it will be until we get ICS on the Galaxy S2?

Last edited:

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I doubt Ice Cream sandwich will come to S2. Looking at the leaked photos and video, it appears the Ice Cream device has no phyical buttons similar to Honeycomb. The S2 has buttons so Sammy will need to tweak Touchwiz to work with buttons while still concentrating on getting S3 out. For this reason I doubt S2 will see Ice Cream Sandwich.

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I doubt Ice Cream sandwich will come to S2. Looking at the leaked photos and video, it appears the Ice Cream device has no phyical buttons similar to Honeycomb. The S2 has buttons so Sammy will need to tweak Touchwiz to work with buttons while still concentrating on getting S3 out. For this reason I doubt S2 will see Ice Cream Sandwich.

If you feel google hasn't accounted for this we are all doomed and should switch devices asap.

AndreaCristiano#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

gonna say that's not a correct assessment just because ICS works without buttons on the galaxy nexus doesn't mean it doesn't have touch button capability for other android phones. especially since Google said all android will have 18 months of upgrades

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
gonna say that's not a correct assessment just because ICS works without buttons on the galaxy nexus doesn't mean it doesn't have touch button capability for other android phones. especially since Google said all android will have 18 months of upgrades

You could be right, however, from a design standpoint, why would you want to have a physical key for home, menu, back and search then also have soft-keys on the screen? Seems redundant IMO. But what do I know :)

brendonlee

May 11, 2011
Visit site
You could be right, however, from a design standpoint, why would you want to have a physical key for home, menu, back and search then also have soft-keys on the screen? Seems redundant IMO. But what do I know :)

I doubt that would be the case. Im sure Google has enough foresight to have the soft buttons configurable by the phone manufacturer/carrier. if the phone has dedicated buttons, soft buttons are disabled. If no buttons, then enabled. If Google chose to only support soft buttons from this point on it wouldn't line up with their promised goal to defragment the android system and provide older/current devices with compatibility for a set time period after their release.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that would be the case. Im sure Google has enough foresight to have the soft buttons configurable by the phone manufacturer/carrier. if the phone has dedicated buttons, soft buttons are disabled. If no buttons, then enabled. If Google chose to only support soft buttons from this point on it wouldn't line up with their promised goal to defragment the android system and provide older/current devices with compatibility for a set time period after their release.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII

Device compatibility is up to the manufacturer, not Google. Google can't require manufacturers to provide updates for a set period of time. They strongly suggested it and would like to see it happen, but given the open nature of Android it's impossible for Google to require it.

That being said, I'm not sure I would count on Samsung to push this update through. It'll require a major rewrite of touchwiz, and given the track record behind other Samsung phones getting updates (not counting the Nexus) I'm not going to hold my breath. If I end up keeping this phone and not getting the Nexus I'll be relying on CyanogenMod for my Ice Cream Sandwich goodness.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
We'll get it a) right before time to upgrade and b) the S3 is about to pass fcc

Well I have to agree but I am more hopeful that we will see ICS on the sgs2 sometime next year *look at how long Froyo took for the Captivate and there have been official i897 leaks of GB a few months ago. I guarantee that ICS will be hitting the i9100 before stateside sees it and my guess will be sometime toward the end of this year for that.

I don't doubt ics will be released for the sgs2 phones, however, more like it will be a long while anyways. Samsung is building the next nexus phone, so I am sure they do have access to ICS source and are probably working on getting a port for the i9100 then sometime around roughly 6 months there will be a leak for the american sgs 2 phones. Considering looking at the past with the Galaxy S lines, it took 8 - 9 months to release Froyo for the i897 and another 3 months just to have a leak of 2.3.3 for the same phone. As long as the different devs can get the i9100 roms running on our phones properly, and I am hoping that i9100 roms and kernels can efficiently run on the i777, then we will probably see ics before an official att/samsung i777 build leaks out.

HTH,
Charlie

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Surely we will get ics. Honeycomb is tanker exclusive, I can't imagine this phone not getting a new OS update. We will get ics. Sooner than most people think, too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX