Ok i bought that SGSII partially due to the talk of great battery life. I'm not yet seeing it. I would by no means call myself a super heavy user but i've been getting 12-ish hours out of this thing not the 20 or "easily a full day I hear from most people".

I text more than anything, I have gmail and google service syncing, twitter updating every hour, screen on auto-brightness and relatively few phone calls. I always have gps off. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing that these "power users" getting 20+ hour are doing.

I have noticed that when I check the battery use, "android OS" is using 20% or so. According to the description listed there that is for "battery used by applications" but im not sure what apps im using that should be using that high a percentage.

Anecdotally, Right now my phone has been unplugged for roughly 2 hours, I'm at about 89% battery. I have send/received 30 text messages and made one 5 minute phone call...thats its. "android OS" is still at 21% of battery use and I feel like that number is too high for little use i've put in...

Any thoughts?
    10-05-2011 01:35 PM
    Have you taken advantage of the stock task manager that comes with the phone? I am surprised how well it works for me when I know i wont be using the phone for awhile I clear the list. This is legit .bf works waaaay better than that task killer everybody was using for the longest time. Make it a widget and try it it for a day.
    10-05-2011 01:46 PM
    im in the same boat as you kind of regret skipping the iphone 4 and waiting for this, i ONLY waited for it because i heard good things about the battery

my main concern with androids was the battery, i have friends who carry chargers with them all day, and my friends with iphone 4 never complain

I did everything all guides said, and i lose 1-2% while idle, 1-2% per minute while playing games/browse/use apps. i love all the ffeatures i get but i don't know, if after 20 days or so my battery can not do any better with juicedefender or something i might downgrade to an iphone 4 if its possible

whats the point of all these apps / games if i can only play them for 5 minutes lol
    10-05-2011 01:49 PM
    Ok i bought that SGSII partially due to the talk of great battery life. I'm not yet seeing it. I would by no means call myself a super heavy user but i've been getting 12-ish hours out of this thing not the 20 or "easily a full day I hear from most people".

I text more than anything, I have gmail and google service syncing, twitter updating every hour, screen on auto-brightness and relatively few phone calls. I always have gps off. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing that these "power users" getting 20+ hour are doing.

I have noticed that when I check the battery use, "android OS" is using 20% or so. According to the description listed there that is for "battery used by applications" but im not sure what apps im using that should be using that high a percentage.

Anecdotally, Right now my phone has been unplugged for roughly 2 hours, I'm at about 89% battery. I have send/received 30 text messages and made one 5 minute phone call...thats its. "android OS" is still at 21% of battery use and I feel like that number is too high for little use i've put in...

Any thoughts?

That 21% means of the battery that's been used, less than 1/4 of it was used via the OS. If the iphone gave people the same info the android system does, iOS users would be up in arms as well. If I keep turning the screen on but don't do anything other than watch the Koi swim around, I'm gonna show some exorbitant percentage via the display/screen. It doesn't mean I have a faulty screen, it means that's what's been consuming the majority of the battery FOR MY USE.

People read alot into these numbers, sometimes too much information is a bad thing. This is one of those times.

Now with that said does the battery suck? Yes it does. Can I understand why people would possibly want to migrate back to an iPhone, yes I can. Battery was never an issue with it. You didn't have to run a task manager and jump through 15 hoops to make it through your work day without charging. I get that frustration.
    Kevin OQuinn likes this.
    10-05-2011 02:09 PM
    Yeah, i realize android is not the gold standard for battery life. But every review i've read of this phone was glowing. The android central review said definitively that it should get through a day for "all but the most powerful of power users"...which i am not...hence my confusion.
    10-05-2011 02:58 PM

Any thoughts?
    I would turn off auto brightness and make it low, like 20-25% of the entire slider.....

Also, just for reference, based on your "89% battery after two hours"...thats exactly where I would be when I had my iphone 4. I don't think this battery sucks by any means, but I do think you have to customize just a bit more to get max battery out of it. I'll post some other things I did to get better battery later on for ya.
    10-05-2011 03:23 PM
    Now with that said does the battery suck? Yes it does. Can I understand why people would possibly want to migrate back to an iPhone, yes I can. Battery was never an issue with it. You didn't have to run a task manager and jump through 15 hoops to make it through your work day without charging. I get that frustration.
    I don't think it sucks overall...its definitely better than all the other Android handsets I've used or read up about.....it's not going to "beat" an iphone 4.....Apple has that sh#t down....as it kept me from switching to Android before....I *almost* switched but the battery specs on the 4 kept me for another year (or year plus since they didn't release on their typical schedule).

You shouldn't need to run a task manager on Android, or jump through 15 hoops.....but you do need to tweak some things just like you did with an iphone 4 to maximize battery.
    10-05-2011 03:26 PM
    I get the same battery life as my old iPhone 4 so this sounds weird to me.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    10-05-2011 05:10 PM
    Are you putting it down at all?
    10-05-2011 07:58 PM
    this phone battery gets worse everyday for me
    today with everything off, i lost 3% per hour..ridiculous

im at 13%, turned off the phone, n will charge

hopefully it will calibrate this way or something

i started the day at 85 % from 8-6 i ended up with 13...little more gaming than usual but the idle time i still lost more than usual

apn off/wifi off etc
    10-05-2011 08:48 PM
    I don't think it sucks overall...its definitely better than all the other Android handsets I've used or read up about.....it's not going to "beat" an iphone 4.....Apple has that sh#t down....as it kept me from switching to Android before....I *almost* switched but the battery specs on the 4 kept me for another year (or year plus since they didn't release on their typical schedule).

You shouldn't need to run a task manager on Android, or jump through 15 hoops.....but you do need to tweak some things just like you did with an iphone 4 to maximize battery.

Well a lot of people are jumping from the iPhone to the SGSII, so to them it feels like they're jumping through hoops. I never had do to a thing to the iPhone settings to get good batt. Left WIFI and BT on all the time. Easily lasted me a day and then some. Going from that to being lucky to make it to 6:00pm will be a turn off. Especially when they hear, turn that highly regarded AMOLED screen down to 20%, turn off wifi, turn off BT, turn off GPS, use the task manager, don't use these widgets, ect. I can see where iPhone users might get turned off by that. WTF is the point of the phone if you have to shut half of it off? To them, the tag line "It just works", really isn't just a line in their eyes. I'm just saying what they are thinking.
    10-06-2011 01:25 PM
    Well a lot of people are jumping from the iPhone to the SGSII, so to them it feels like they're jumping through hoops. I never had do to a thing to the iPhone settings to get good batt. Left WIFI and BT on all the time. Easily lasted me a day and then some. Going from that to being lucky to make it to 6:00pm will be a turn off. Especially when they hear, turn that highly regarded AMOLED screen down to 20%, turn off wifi, turn off BT, turn off GPS, use the task manager, don't use these widgets, ect. I can see where iPhone users might get turned off by that. WTF is the point of the phone if you have to shut half of it off? To them, the tag line "It just works", really isn't just a line in their eyes. I'm just saying what they are thinking.
    Angry much? NOTHING will compare to the battery life of the iphone 4/4S....but saying you don't have to tweak an iphone 4 at all is crazy. I know I did....and noticed after about a year it's "life" was getting significantly worse.

Yes, you gotta do some additional tweaking on Android to get it running well with battery life, but I can't imagine how pissed other iphone users would be if they came over onto other devices less than 6 months ago......simply put, the SGSII has some of the best battery life on Android.

(Also I believe there is a bug with the SGSII with AOS (Android OS) causing the battery to drain quicker than it should)
    10-06-2011 01:41 PM
    Angry much? NOTHING will compare to the battery life of the iphone 4/4S....but saying you don't have to tweak an iphone 4 at all is crazy. I know I did....and noticed after about a year it's "life" was getting significantly worse.

Yes, you gotta do some additional tweaking on Android to get it running well with battery life, but I can't imagine how pissed other iphone users would be if they came over onto other devices less than 6 months ago......simply put, the SGSII has some of the best battery life on Android.

(Also I believe there is a bug with the SGSII with AOS (Android OS) causing the battery to drain quicker than it should)

Not angry at all. So far I love my SGSII, I'm just calling it like I see it. I had iPhone 4, never tweaked a thing on it, never needed to for my use.
    10-06-2011 02:19 PM
    what are your thoughts on going from an iphone to an sg2

i really wanted the iphone 4,but that was 2 months ago and opted to wait for iphone 5
    couldnt handle the wait n looked at near by android phones, n waited for the sg2

tell me everythign small n big that you like/hate about both phones
    i remember i hated typing in the iphone, did it get any easier? i hated browsing on it too, but battery life is the ice breaker for me
    10-06-2011 02:34 PM
    what are your thoughts on going from an iphone to an sg2

i really wanted the iphone 4,but that was 2 months ago and opted to wait for iphone 5
    couldnt handle the wait n looked at near by android phones, n waited for the sg2

tell me everythign small n big that you like/hate about both phones
    i remember i hated typing in the iphone, did it get any easier? i hated browsing on it too, but battery life is the ice breaker for me

The only thing the iPhone has over the SGSII is battery. However, I would take a wait and see approach with the new 4s. Notifications, reminders, assistant, faster chip, are all going to eat into their famed battery. I think you will start to see some complaints on it.
    10-06-2011 02:43 PM
    Well, it looks like i'm going to be needing to invest in some spare chargers. Amazon has some for $4 . Hopefully they are legit.

Unplugged the phone at 5am and is is 3:45pm now. I had 1 call for about 5 minutes this morning. Texted a bit, downloaded some new apps and played around with it for a little bit trying to get familiar with it. I'm at 23% now. Around noon i turned off the gps, bluetooth, wifi and turned the display down from auto.

Display 45% (on auto)
    Android OS 25%
    Android System 13%

I bought the vehicle charger when i bought it just for emergencies and judging from how slow the wall charger takes im sure the vehicle charger will just slow the depletion at best.

I couldnt imagine being bored for an extended period with it like at an airport or on an airplane. I would be shocked if it could get through one streaming netflix movie without needing to be plugged in.
    10-06-2011 02:54 PM
    Yeah, I'm not saying the battery life is horrible. But when literally every review of this phone i have read has said that it should last you a day at least, i tend to expect that. I've been paying close attention to my usage the past two days and its not good.

Moderate texting, screen on auto, no gps, no bluetooth, twitter and gmail as the only apps syncing (twitter every hour), and roughly 15 minutes of phone calls both days...never did my battery make it past 11 hours. Not only is that not a "full day at least" it is relatively low usage. I would have no problem if that was what reasonably expected, but everything I read claimed much much more. at this point i'm honestly wondering what im doing wrong here cause i feel like all the reviewers couldnt be off by that much.

As a side note, at the end of both days, 24% of the battery was used by the "android OS". Given what i used the phone for all day, what does that represent? The screen only took 36%...shouldnt that be a much bigger chasm considering i didnt play any games, download any apps, use the browser...etc.??
    10-06-2011 04:37 PM
    Here is what I am getting:

left my phone off for 1 hour while driving home, no phone calls, no texting, etc

The battery meter went from 90% to 84%, 6% per hour??!!
    10-06-2011 09:10 PM
    my battery is getting better since i charged it while off, im gona unplug today at about 95-100% and go to work, coming home at 6 and will tell where im at

im estimating 13-20 % depending on how much i game

if i feel i dont need to play games cuz im busy i think if i dont use my phone at all i can come back with 30-40% easily >.>
    10-06-2011 10:45 PM
    I am completely new to smartphones. I have been running my phone on maxed settings (brightness, GPS on, etc) and after a full charge, extensivley used it with these settings on. Browsed, downloaded, called, etc etc. Did this for a good portion of the day. Seems like with as much as I did and the fact that brightness was 100% the whole time and all power options turned off, the battery held up pretty well.

though i have never had an iphone so I cant compare.
    10-06-2011 10:51 PM
    my friends you are not alone on this.. My battery drains significanlty for no reason and I have the Epic Touch. The phone stays awake for longer than it needs to is one reason you have the Andorid OS percentage too high. The next corporal I believe is that Sammy has done as always and sold us a cheaply made product and will refuse support it.
    11-08-2011 12:51 AM
    11-08-2011 07:22 AM
    The first week that I had the phone I was having bad battery life. I turned off the usual suggested things and battery life got good, but then I had a half functioning phone. I started turning features back on one at a time and trying each change for one day. Bluetooth, wifi, auto-synch (just for gmail) and GPS are all back on now my battery life is still great! So why didnt my battery life go down hill as I turned things back on?

There are still two settings that are different from when I had poor battery life.
    1. I do not have my work calendar (MS Exchange) auto-synch any more. A bad setup of Exchange calendars is one of the things in the link that XANAX gave for known battery drainers.
    2. I was seeing high Android OS use (higher than display even though I had the display on for awhile). I read that turning USB debug on all the time helped another phone (HTC Desire on Froyo) with the high Android use problem. Seemed like a long shot, but I gave it a try.

It is night and day now. When I left work before, I might have 40-50% battery left. Now I have high 70s to mid 80s. I would like to know for sure what fixed my problem, but I am just happy that it is fixed. Compared to my iPhone 4 that I had since launch, I would say I get 85-90% of its battery life.. but for a phone that can do much more and has a much larger screen.
    11-08-2011 12:34 PM
    After a 15 hour day I routinely have 40-50% of my battery left. I have 4 email accounts on auto sync as well as ebay. I only use one home screen and I do not run any widgets. I talk 15-20 minutes on the phone each day. I use the browser 20-30 minutes each day. I have my screen brightness set to 30% and every alert is set to vibrate. I always turn off my phone each night when I charge it and I never use a car charger. A friend in the cell phone accessory business said car chargers dramatically decrease the life of a battery.
    11-09-2011 08:40 AM