is att mobile insurance different than best buys

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
i bought this phone at best buys and ignored everything the guy said about warranty because i did not want to pay 7-8 bucks per month :/

however i got an email from att saying its only 5 bucks a month which is a lot better! than i click more details and it says its 7 bucks like best buy..is this a bug? anyways what do people on here think about insurance

i read that there is a 200 fee on top of 7 a month which sounds extremely sketchy

i remember when i bought my last phone from best buy, 1 year later i went to att retail and they still replaced it for free when i complained about the battery

so is it a gaurantee that i can get some type of warranty one year later at the att store even if i bought from best buy, because im a att customer? or is it a samsung warranty? i want to know my options before even thinking about paying for warranty service

travis442

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I also purchased my phone from Best Buy and normally I don't buy protection plans but figured if I were to break the phone it would cost me an arm and a leg to replace it so I went ahead and got their Black Tie protection.

You have already pointed out one of the differences the $10 Best Buy charges as opposed to the $7 that AT&T charges but included in that difference is that you have to pay a $200 fee at AT&T if something happens to your phone and you have to actually use the insurance, that's not the case at Best Buy.

I honestly haven't had to use AT&T's warranty or insurance so I'm not sure what you can expect from them. I can't imagine that you are always going to get that lucky though and have them replace the phone for free.

riekls

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
They replaced your previous phone under 'warranty' not under the service plan you had. It is most definiately $200 to file a claim with ATT's insurance for the S2 (some other phones are less).

If you break it or drop it in a toilet or whatever, its $200, with best buy its $0.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
my fear is that they wont even service me, but its my first smart phone and i am nervous

can i pick up a best buy mobile warranty 5 months down the road and cancel 3 months into it, kind of like whenever i want it?

att is only giving me a month to decide and with a 200 down payment, id rather downgrade n buy an iphone 4...lol

riekls

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The iphone4 isn't going to help you, if you break it or water damage it, its still going to cost you $600 to replace it without insurance.

And no, neither best buy nor att will allow you to put warranty on after 30 days from the sale. Personally I find BB's insurance to be the best option, its $3 more / month or $72 over the 2 year period. If i have to replace my phone it costs me $128 less then the ATT insurance, if i dont, while i am out $72, it was in unnoticeable $3 chunks that don't affect my budget.

DANNCAS

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
from my dealing with best buy from the pas i don't trust them. they lost my laptop and lied about it after :telling me it was out for repair for two months. they did not want to replace it with what I bought either

jay hein

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Best Buy insurance (which I got when I upgraded to A Galaxy 3 and only cost me $1) is that it does NOT cover loss/stolen. Only repairs. So, I chose to keep my ATT insurance since the Best Buy would cover ZERO if stolen/lost (which for me happened twice vs. not breaking down/malfunction).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay