Tap to enlarge

The AT&T Galaxy S II is the best phone on AT&T according to Android Central and just about every review. Apple just announced the iPhone 4S, but the iPhone 4S is still missing 25 key features.

Several flagship Android phones still lack a Notification LED. The NoLED app simulates an LED on your screen but you still have No LED.

What if you could use your Camera Flash LED in place of your missing Notification LED?

Here it is: Flashlight Alerts ($3).

Flashlight Alerts uses your camera flash LED as your Notification LED for Calls, Texts, Email, Gmail, K-9 Mail, and Google Voice notifications. Even if you have a Notification LED, this app is great because the Notification LED is sometimes hard to notice. You can't miss the Camera Flash LED. So you can keep from waking others at home (or at work) but never miss seeing the flash.

Tap images for full screen

Setup
    You have 15 minutes to uninstall an app if your don't like it so we will setup Flachlight Alerts and test it right away.
    1. Tap the Android Market then search for and install Flashlight Alerts ($3) [not the Froyo one].
    2. Tap Flashlight Alerts to open it and then tap Test flashlight to make sure it works on your phone.
    3. Set Incoming Call ON and Text Messages ON.
    4. Set New Email ON and Text Messages ON and you will see a pop-up saying settings must be enabled.
    5. Tap Go to Settings.
    6. You will be taken to your phone's Accessibility menu.
    → Make sure Accessibility is ON.
    → Turn Flashlight Alerts ON.
    6. Press Back to go back to the Flashlight Alerts setup menu.
    7. Call your Android phone to make sure Flashlight Alerts works for calls.
    8. Have someone text you to verify Flashlight Alerts works for texts.

If for whatever reason, Flashlight Alerts does not work as you would like, uninstall it within 15 minutes for a full refund.

Notes
    • Flashlight Alerts should also work for Email, Gmail, and K-9 mail. Send yourself an email to test.
    • Lay your phone face down so that the camera LED points to the ceiling to see the flash even several cubicles away.
    • Sitting at a noisy venue you may not hear your phone but you can see the camera flash even through jeans.
    • Flashlight Alerts is not designed to work with other Android Market Email or Messaging apps.
    • Jerry Hildenbrand did a quick review with video for Android Central when the app first came out.
    10-06-2011 05:33 PM
    i wudnt want a flash light alert when i got a text :/
    10-06-2011 05:36 PM
    I was wondering if there is such an app, the lack of a notification light is the only thing I do not like about this phone. But what is the battery use of the camera light versus pushing the power button to turn on the screen?
    10-06-2011 05:36 PM
    the light is way too bring lol
    10-06-2011 05:50 PM
    I decided to give it a test. Had somebody send me a couple texts and email after setting up the app. Never flashed (I had the phone face down so I would have definitely seen the light flashing).
    10-06-2011 06:41 PM
    reviews in the link said it wouldnt work for texts :/
    10-06-2011 07:18 PM
    I decided to give it a test. Had somebody send me a couple texts and email after setting up the app. Never flashed (I had the phone face down so I would have definitely seen the light flashing).
    Thanks!

Did it work for phone calls? Did you do the "Test flashlight"?

Nuts. I really hope that this will work.

I added this to the opening post...

[EDIT] Please check the configuration by opening the app.
    1. Tap Test flashlight. Did it work?
    2. Make sure that Incoming Call and Text Messages are ON (or whatever you will test).
    3. Call the phone and send a text to it to see if it works.
    4. Let us know if it flashes for the call and text.
    Thanks!
    10-06-2011 07:57 PM
    Slightly OT, but why does my phone always fail to download apks using the QR codes on XDA, such as the one at the link here:

[APP] Flashlight Alerts 1.5, now supporting lots of phones + email + Google Voice - xda-developers
    10-06-2011 08:00 PM
    Have any of y'all tried NoLed from market? Its free and you can color code the dot notification for different notifications.... Works great, been using it since my Samsung Vibrant days.. (Seems like a hundred years ago : )

BTC
    10-06-2011 08:32 PM
    omg i just dled noled and its awesome

too many settings so i just left it at default

seems like a battery drainer, any advice? maybe turn it off while im sleeping ? lol

it leaves ur display on so if u dont notice for like a couple of hours i think your phone would die
    10-06-2011 09:09 PM
    Yes, I have it noted in two places in the Getting Started
    • If your phone does not have a notification LED, check out NoLED or BLN Control.
    Both are just such a let-down compared to having a real LED. And Flashlight Alerts takes it to a whole new level.

I fleshed out the OP with photos to show how to set it up. I think that our one test so far never set it up.
    10-06-2011 09:10 PM
    Works on international galaxy s ii, thanks for sharing
    10-07-2011 03:15 AM
    omg i just dled noled and its awesome

too many settings so i just left it at default

seems like a battery drainer, any advice? maybe turn it off while im sleeping ? lol

it leaves ur display on so if u dont notice for like a couple of hours i think your phone would die
    Never noticed any battery drain(especially on my EVO which had pooor battery performance) /screen burn and it never left my screen on... Not sure what settings ur using...

BTC
    10-07-2011 05:23 AM
    Works on international galaxy s ii, thanks for sharing
    Thank you!

And two others have privately tested it on the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II and just as claimed it works there as well. You just have to tap the icon, open it, and activate the services.

So the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II certainly can have a real notification LED. It just costs $3.
    10-07-2011 09:28 AM
    i may be crazy but when i first got my gSII i could have sworn i seen a red LED notification light blink a few times... Am i wrong? or crazy?
    10-12-2011 01:24 PM
    i may be crazy but when i first got my gSII i could have sworn i seen a red LED notification light blink a few times... Am i wrong? or crazy?
    That was probably the proximity sensor. So, not crazy ;-)

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII
    10-12-2011 03:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD