AT&T 4G

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
so i know at&ts 4G network isnt real 4G. but when AT&T does get real 4G will our galaxy S2's be compatible or will we again have to buy another phone?

derande

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
the way i understand it is that the updated 4G network will transmit the highest speeds to phones with LTE radios which the Galaxy S2 does not have.

Reactions: bxborn31

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
There really isn't a "real 4G" each provider uses it in different forms.

Verzion = LTE
AT&T= HSPA+
Sprint = WiMax

AT&T and Sprint are launching LTE networks as they're the fastest speeds available.

WiMax is just terrible and LTE drains batterys so much that having the faster speeds isn't that much of a huge gain over HSPA+ so if anything I like what AT&T offers right now the best. Depending on where you live HSPA+ can be fast enough up tp 21Mpbs.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
There really isn't a "real 4G" each provider uses it in different forms.

Verzion = LTE
AT&T= HSPA+
Sprint = WiMax

AT&T and Sprint are launching LTE networks as they're the fastest speeds available.

WiMax is just terrible and LTE drains batterys so much that having the faster speeds isn't that much of a huge gain over HSPA+ so if anything I like what AT&T offers right now the best. Depending on where you live HSPA+ can be fast enough up tp 21Mpbs.

How much faster is hspa+ than 3G?

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
so i did some reading. what is this about at&t backhaul. the way im reading it its basic terms since i dont know anything about cell towers is that at&t HSPA+ gives you x amount of speed right now but when LTE is launched it will backhaul off of that and give us faster speeds?

pmentior

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
The backhaul is what kind of connection the towers use to provide internet access. The at&t enhanced backhaul is just them upgrading their towers with a better connection.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
How much faster is hspa+ than 3G?

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

HSPA+ is faster than 3G 21Mbps vs. 7.2Mbps the new iPhone4S only has a 14.4Mbps HSPA+ Radio inside not a 21Mbps so it won't even take full advantage of the highest HSPA+ speeds AT&T has to offer in some areas.

Obviously seeing these speeds depends on your area. On my iPhone 3G speeds were awful in my area so I am seeing speeds 5x faster on my Galaxy S II than what I was getting from 3G.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
The good news is tha it will proably take 2 years to get LTE in a decent amount of areas.

We were in a Sprint Wimax 4G area a few months ago. The battery on my wives Epic 4G drained in about an hour with the 4G enabled.

That was my only experience with it.

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I live in Atlanta and according to AT&T LTE is rolled out here. Like you said though battery life is terrible and they have yet to figure it out. The speeds of LTE aren't worth having a cellphone that doesn't last even half a day in my book.

ChrisM47

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Plus since AT&T does anything Apple says since the new iPhone4S is using HSPA+ that will be their priority so it will only benefit us Galaxy S II owners who have the faster HSPA+ Radios and maybe all those Apple people won't suck up our bandwidth enough before AT&T does some more upgrading. =o

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
With a 21mbps Max that is more than enough speed for me. When you get to the 8mbps mark, web pages basically load up instantly so once you start getting to the high teens anything higher is basically overkill. I am perfectly happy with hspa+ as it has bettety battery optimization than lte. The only thing Lte might be better at is signal penetration into buildings and even then I heard it depends on what frequency is being used. That's why wimax gets a bad rap for indoor use cause it tends to reflect off buildings rather than penetrate.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
What speeds are you guys seeing? I'm thinking of going back to big blue but haven't decided yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jfenton78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So help me understand this 3G vs 4g vs LTE. I live in south Houston which is one of the cities to roll out LTE but the local AT&T stores don't stock the GS2 because they said it's not 4G. I know it has HSPA+21 is that 3g? If so what technology should I watch for in 4g vs LTE? also is 4g different from LTE?

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So help me understand this 3G vs 4g vs LTE. I live in south Houston which is one of the cities to roll out LTE but the local AT&T stores don't stock the GS2 because they said it's not 4G. I know it has HSPA+21 is that 3g? If so what technology should I watch for in 4g vs LTE? also is 4g different from LTE?

HSPA+ is AT&Ts transition to 4G. AT&T got some organization to claim its real 4G, but it's semantics. LTE is true 4G. It is the future. Funny how the reps said the SGSII was not 4G, over here they will claim up and down it is. HSPA+21 is more like 3.5G. SGSII is not LTE because of the lack of radios but will work in Houston with HSPA+. Almost all of the nation has it now. It's a great fallback from LTE once it comes to more areas.

I would not hold my breath expecting an LTE Samsung Galaxy S II here in the US. The Samsung Galaxy S III will probably have it. AT&T's LTE is at its infancy. It will take a couple more years before we see LTE all over the nation. Verizon has a great start but areas they don't have LTE the switchover is slow.

Jfenton78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying. The sales rep mentioned some new LTE phone coming like the HTC holiday, but didn't give specifics on when. She did mention the holidays though. So hopefully by then.

I like the GS2, but need a new phone real soon. I'm currently using a iPhone 3GS which only has edge working right now. I'm looking to switch as I really wanted a bigger screen than the iPhone 4s has.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
With a 21mbps Max that is more than enough speed for me. When you get to the 8mbps mark, web pages basically load up instantly so once you start getting to the high teens anything higher is basically overkill. I am perfectly happy with hspa+ as it has bettety battery optimization than lte. The only thing Lte might be better at is signal penetration into buildings and even then I heard it depends on what frequency is being used. That's why wimax gets a bad rap for indoor use cause it tends to reflect off buildings rather than penetrate.

+1 ! Do not see a need for LTE on a mobile phone. I live in DFW which has LTE as does Houston and San Antonio so I am in a good market for AT&T LTE.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

AT&T is now calling 4G LTE, especially in Texas as you can see the new billboards everywhere touting 4G LTE. Previously they were calling HSPA+ 4G. Those were the Atrix, Inspire, Infuse and SGSII and other phones which can get pretty good speeds if you are in an enhanced backhaul area. I average about 6-7 down and 1 up in DFW on my Atrix and SGSII.

AT&T has very limited rollout for LTE right now. Three of the five markets are in Texas. DFW, Houston and San Antonio. They have no phones available but the HTC Holiday is rumored to be coming. I have a buddy that work for AT&T and he has it for his laptop computer and the speeds are screaming! 22-25 mbps down or as fast as home internet.

Not sure how they will price it for phone. I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be NO unlimited data plans for LTE, even for grandfathered unlimited plans, so I will stick with faux 4G or HSPA+. I think they will make you agree to give up unlimited data to get LTE since it is a different network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12