So, my Galaxy SII will arrive at some point later today, and I'm doing some more in-depth research so that I can get get the phone up and running ASAP upon arrival. I've had a BB 9700 for the past two years, and am excited to move on up (especially after playing with my wife's iPhone 4 for the past year). Sorry in advance for the noobish nature...

Can someone do a quick compare/contrast between the stock TW4.0 e-mail and the Gmail app? Do most Android users opt for the built in e-mail or do they opt for the Gmail app? Do both options do true push e-mail like the BB does? If I opt for the Gmail app, will the TW4.0 contacts and calendar still sync with my Gmail contacts and calendar?
    10-10-2011 09:50 AM
    Your better off playing with both yourself.
    Running the Gmail app has nothing to do with contacts or anything. I noticed on my other phones the Gmail app doesnt update the emails in the gmail site from a computer all the time. LIke if you delete from phone it is still on the site for a bit till it deletes. That kind of annoyed me.
    I havent used the stock app on this phone yet though. I like the flags in gmail so I normally use that.

Built in apps, usually arent push though. HTC 's lowest setting was every 5 mins , but could set a schedule to not recieve during off peak hours so you arent woken up at night from spam and such

Both have down points and fine points
    10-10-2011 10:15 AM
    When I was on my iphone4 I sync'd my mail using the stock app and exchange for Gmail. On my SGSII I just use the stock app, it seems to work very well. I get emails on time and it feels natural to use that interface.
    10-10-2011 01:03 PM
    Just got the gs2. Can someone tell me how to get the gmail icon to display the # of messages unread ...? The number with the little circle is not showing.

Thanks
    10-10-2011 08:57 PM
    Killer for me was no pinch-to-zoom in the gmail app. And as far as I'm concerned, there was no way to delete things in your trash folder either.

The pinch-to-zoom was it for me.
    10-10-2011 08:59 PM
    So, I have everything set-up.

I'm thinking of using the Gmail app unless someone can tell me otherwise regarding the following two points:

1) Is there any way to get conversation view in the GSII e-mail?

2) Is there any way to get true push e-mail? It looks like I can only refresh every 5 minutes at most, whereas as the Gmail app pushes e-mail instantly.

If I can't do anything about these two issues, then, how do I delete my Gmail account from the stock e-mail client?
    10-11-2011 07:42 AM
    Use the gmail app. U can delete the other account withing the sync settings.

-------

There is no email counter for the gmail app icon. There was an app for that for older versions of gmail but that has not worked for a while.
    10-11-2011 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD