When I got my GSII a week ago Sunday, the store rep assured me that my voice, data and messaging plans were all intact and good to go. I have the $5-200 messaging plan, since I don't use texting that often 100 or so on a heavy month.

Today I was told that a cow-orker had sent me a text calling off work tonight. I didn't receive the message, so I tried sending him one, but didn't get a reply. I asked another person to send me a message, but with no result.

I went to the AT&T store, where they said for some unknown reason when my account was switched to the new phone, my messaging capabilities were killed outright. Because AT&T has decided that $20 unlimited messaging is the only true path to follow, the store reps have no option for re-adding my grandfathered plan. As it turns out, their overlords on the phone also aren't allowed to put it back.

They told me my options were to either go per-use or pay for the $20 plan. I told them their options were to give me back my old plan, credit my account for $360 (the $15 difference in plans for 24 months) or cancel my new contract so I can go to Verizon.

Another phone call later, the rep tells me that my problem has been moved up the chain and that some supreme overlord has to make the decision to reinstall my $5 plan. She said my plan should be restored on Thursday and that my per-use texts until then will be credited. It still sounds suspiciously like "<BLEEP> you and your crummy low-use texting."

Just wanted people to know that something like this is possible. Updates as they occur.
    10-10-2011 05:12 PM
    I'm on the same $5 for 200 texts/month plan. I checked my plan settings in the evening of the day I bought my GSII (going to ATT on the web). My $5 texting was still there, but I didn’t see my $30 unlimited data option. My wife still had it listed for her iPhone 4. I called and talked to a rep. He confirmed that I was still on the unlimited data for $30 plan but couldn’t tell me why it didn’t show up on-line. Glad to hear you hung in there to get it fixed. I wonder how many people cave-in and take it.

As a secondary check, you might want to try “calling” "*3282#”. AT&T will then send a text to you with both your text and data use/limits. For example, mine says “Data (MB) 527.5 of Unlimited, Messaging: 60 of 200”.
    10-10-2011 05:54 PM
    I don't text a lot either and I had the $5 200 Txt msg plan and had 0 issues with it. When I got my new GS II they told me I HAD to switch to Unlimited or Pay Per Text and those were my only options because the $5 200txts was only for the iPhone. I found this insane considering I only txt like 100ish a month.

What gives with this bs?

So there options for some one who doesn't text that much but don't want pay per text is $20 off the bat?

10-10-2011 05:56 PM
    I am on the the $10 for 1000 plan. I heard they changed the plans for new customers. Supposed to be able to keep why you have. Did you change your plan for minutes? I'll wager you get it back...let us know how this turn out for you.
    10-10-2011 06:11 PM
    When I got my GS II the rep told me that the $35 unltd data/200 text plan was no longer available. He called ATT customer service and had it replaced with $30 unltd data/$5 200 text plan. Took him a little time but anyone who says it can't be done just ain't trying.
    10-10-2011 08:23 PM

I called AT&T and went to the store and they told me I can't use my old $5 200 text plan anymore and it was only for iPhone................................................................
    10-10-2011 10:11 PM
    I don't think they can do that, can they? Doesn't the contract stipulate the same plan you had before you changed phones? I have to say that I think speaking directly with CS is better than the stores. They're paid commission in the stores, so it's better for them to charge you as much as possible. When I changed phones (BB to Infuse), the first rep I spoke to told me the grandfather plan wasn't around anymore and that I'd have to go to metered data. I hung up and called back about an hour later. I spoke to another rep who told me the first rep didn't know what she was talking about. Maybe worth another call?
    10-10-2011 11:56 PM
    Texting is considered a feature, and therefore doesn't fall under the terms of the rate plan.

Yes it sucks, but I'm pretty sure AC ran this story a while ago.

Sent from my SGS II
    10-10-2011 11:59 PM
    I got my SGS2 at best buy and they did the same thing to me. They did not add my text messaging plan to my account (by add I mean carryover). I came from an iphone4 and when I got my new phone I drove back to work and unboxed it to find that I could not send or receive txt messages even though they would look like they sent correctly. I called AT&T and waited 50 minutes for a live rep who talked to me for 20 mins then transferred me. I got disconnected and had to call back. After another 30 minute wait a different rep picked up and within 2 minutes called the lady I talked to previously an ***** and said all he had to do was add my plan back. I love this phone though.
    10-11-2011 06:31 AM
    Problem resolved.

Thank you for your recent AT&T inquiry. Your issue, #xxxxxxxxxx, has been resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
    Messaging 200 was added to your account effective 10/02. You can also manage features online at blah, blah, blah ...
    10-13-2011 07:05 PM
    Thank you very much for the heads-up. It turns out that both lines on my family plan had their texting plans removed. Thankfully, we also don't text a ton and so the charges were only around $20 (which were removed, or so I'm told).
    10-14-2011 12:16 AM
    this happened to me as well. After not realizing I wasn't getting texts after a couple days, I called AT&T, had no problem putting me back on the $5 text plan. I then asked for compensation for the issue and they did a $25 credit. not too painful, really.
    10-26-2011 08:29 PM
    This is what I love about forums and being informed. Here was my experience of which I would have probably just conformed had I not see this post.

My $5 plan was dropped off both my phones also so I called AT&T. Rep said they had to open a case to have those reinstated as they were not available any longer. He gave me two case numbers and said it would take about a week to resolve.

Four days later:

ATT - "We reviewed your case and it has been denied as those plans don't carry over"

Me (Politely) - "I understand that may be the policy but it's not being enforced the same as there are discussion on the boards about this and some people are getting them reinstated with no problem."

ATT - "I'm sorry. That is our policy so you will have to choose the unlimited plan or pay per use."

Me - "If may be your policy, but if it's not applicable to everyone, then I need to speak to a manager so I can understand why some people are allowed to keep it and I can't"

ATT - "Ok, I'll transfer you but you will in a queue if you don't mind holding"

Me - "No problem, thank you"

About two minutes later the Rep comes back on the phone:

ATT - "Sir, I spoke the manager and he said as a one time courtesy they are going to reinstate your $5 plan to both phones and it has been applied to be affective immediately"

I logged into my account and I now have my $5 plan back.

10-28-2011 08:30 AM