tuen off 4g in at&t galaxy s2?

derande

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
i live in an at&t 4g area but rely mostly on wifi where i usually am. since 4g sucks tons of more battery than 3g, is there a way (or an app) to easily bump down to 3g to conserve power?

derande

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
learn something new everyday! i've heard way too much false information about at&t's "4g" sucking the life out of batteries.

ijip

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
nah, att uses older tech that is not really 4g though in terms of speed it certainly compares favorably to sprint wimax system.
when people talk about 4g sucking a ton of batt, they are talking about Wimax (from sprint) or LTE from verizon and now att is starting to jump in the game.
ATT gets from 1.5 megs on the low end to about ten or so on the high end for their "4g" and same with sprint. Verizon gets 5 or so on the low end and past 30 on the high end!!

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
AT&T does have LTE only in select cities. They are slowly expanding it. Mean while, they try to pass off HPSA+ as 4g as do many other companies such as sprint and T-mobile. AT&T only has 2 phones that are LTE compatible.

In other words...you are, in a since, running on a 3g+ or a more advanced version of 3g. HPSA+ peak data rates up to 56 Mbit/s in the downlink in theory (28 Mbit/s in existing services) and 22 Mbit/s in the uplink. LTE runs at downlink peak rates of at least 100 Mbit/s, uplink peak rates of at least 50 Mbit/s.

The ITU-R announced in December 2010 that WiMAX and LTE are 4G technologies. Technically they are closer to 3.9G. LTE Advanced is the way to go.

Lessons over for the day...:D

patrkoch

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Forgive my newbness but can you turn off 3G and just use Edge? I'm a current iPhone user and I just turn 3G off unless using it.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe some should do a little more reading and less speculating. #1 rule of Android, Google is your friend - use it. We call HSPA+ 4G for a good reason! Because the 3GPP says we can!!!!! Why, because HSPA+ speeds are at the low end of 4G LTE speeds.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
AT&T does have LTE only in select cities. They are slowly expanding it. Mean while, they try to pass off HPSA+ as 4g as do many other companies such as sprint and T-mobile. AT&T only has 2 phones that are LTE compatible.

In other words...you are, in a since, running on a 3g+ or a more advanced version of 3g. HPSA+ peak data rates up to 56 Mbit/s in the downlink in theory (28 Mbit/s in existing services) and 22 Mbit/s in the uplink. LTE runs at downlink peak rates of at least 100 Mbit/s, uplink peak rates of at least 50 Mbit/s.

The ITU-R announced in December 2010 that WiMAX and LTE are 4G technologies. Technically they are closer to 3.9G. LTE Advanced is the way to go.

Lessons over for the day...:D

And which two phones are those?

Regardless of what the network is capable of the phone needs to be able to take advantage of it. Right now the fastest a phone can do is a theoretical 21mbps, but you'll never see that kind of speed.

Sent from my SGS II

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
And which two phones are those?

Regardless of what the network is capable of the phone needs to be able to take advantage of it. Right now the fastest a phone can do is a theoretical 21mbps, but you'll never see that kind of speed.

Sent from my SGS II

My appologies....they don't currently have a LTE phone, but they are in the works. They currently have only 3 devices that have LTE.

HTC Jetstream
USB Connect
Mobile hotspot

From AT&T's site...
AT&T's 4G LTE network is now live in five markets: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.
AT&T is planning to invest in the $20-billion range this year in its wireless and wireline networks.
AT&T plans to launch 4G LTE in 15 or more markets by the end of the year, and plans to reach approximately 70 million Americans with its 4G LTE network by the end of the year.

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe some should do a little more reading and less speculating. #1 rule of Android, Google is your friend - use it. We call HSPA+ 4G for a good reason! Because the 3GPP says we can!!!!! Why, because HSPA+ speeds are at the low end of 4G LTE speeds.

ITU-R or ITU Radiocommunication Sector says that it isn't 4g, but it is slightly better than 3g. Oh well...All I know is that if you call and ask AT&T if HPSA+ is 4g, they will say that it technically isn't.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Since the g stands for generation technically it is not but what I said is true. TMO was first to do such a thing... We did not start that campaign until after the 3gpp...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

It's 5 cities so far as I understand it and since the GS2 does not support LTE it's moot to this discussion, You can't tun of HSPA + on this phone. I just checked and I cant even see a place to tun off 3G and go to EDGE if you want to (not that anyone would really want to.. EDGE sucks)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Until we see LTE built into the SoC (like on Qualcomm's S4 Snapdragons with Krait) battery life will likely be subpar compared to what we see now with HSPA+. It was the same way when 3G first launched.

Dawgsoverrebs

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm a manager for an at&t retailer and I just talked to at&t tech support (not just customer service) and they also consulted with Samsung and it appears there is no way to turn off the 3G/4G and use only edge. I'm going to search for some sort of app but I don't have my hopes up.

dirtbikerr450

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i have the toggle switch all you need to do is root you phone and get a custom rom. i have cyanogenmod 7 and i have the toggle switch for 2g/3g. its the best

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
In that menu, you can choose to turn off all-data.

Mine doesn't have a choice for 4G or 3G or 2G, but it does for internet-connectivity (Packet data).

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante