Went from an Iphone 4 to a Galaxy S2

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am going to list out the benefits and downfalls based on my own experience with the two.

Iphone 4 pros over Galaxy S2
Battery life
OS is more Streamlined
Oddly with Iphone 4 Speedtest.net app Internet speeds on AT&T network is almost twice as fast as the galaxy 2 with hpsa+

Galaxy S2 pros over Iphone 4
Customization in OS
Widgets!!
Flash Support
Camera is better
Larger screen
Better signal

Overall...
One of the things that Kills me with cell phones is battery life. I work in a building that is a signal blocker...but I must keep my cell on. This makes my phones struggle to get signal thus killing the batteries. The Iphone 4 handled this much, much better than the Galaxy S2 has so far.

But even still, I have to pick the Galaxy S2 for being the better phone...hands down.

I have done some research on extended life batteries and I have found one that seems to have great reviews and pretty much promises to increase my battery life by 30-40% without increasing the size of my phone. I plan on buying it as soon as I get the money.
GOLD 2430MAH BATTERY FOR SAMSUNG I9100 GALAXY S II 2 | eBay

Thanks,
iskor12

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
i'd love to have a 2430mAh battery for my GS2 but that seems way too inexpensive to be a quality battery.

I to thought that until I read some reviews from a different forum. I will try to find them again.

Edit...I tried to find the thread, but I couldn't find it. I swear that I am not lying though. I found both threads that praise that battery and some that say that it is a fraud.

Last edited:

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
i too have bad reception at work and at home
i turn off apn and wifi and it gets by, but i can last the whole day with high battery % if i dont use it at all which seems like your case

im curious how the iphone battery is compared to sg2 becuz i wanted an iphone and the ice breaker was battery, but since the 5 isnt coming out im glad i opted for s2

MCory

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Be careful when using I9100 batteries on an I777 - they're not the same. No NFC support for one. There are mixed reports on XDA - some have said it works, others have suggested that when you connect the USB cable, it'll start rebooting over and over again. A possible solution may be to charge the battery by removing it from the phone, and using a charging dock. Seems like a hassel to me. (Not to mention that $20 is awfully cheap for a 2430mah battery - THAT part alone makes me suspicious.)

Reactions: iskor12

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
i too have bad reception at work and at home
i turn off apn and wifi and it gets by, but i can last the whole day with high battery % if i dont use it at all which seems like your case

im curious how the iphone battery is compared to sg2 becuz i wanted an iphone and the ice breaker was battery, but since the 5 isnt coming out im glad i opted for s2

The battery on the Iphone 4 hands down will outlast the s2...but like I said, the S2 is a better phone overall.

The iphone 4 has a 1420 mAh Li-Polymer cell....which is smaller in capacity than the S2, but the iphone 4 sips on the juice very slowly and efficiently.

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Be careful when using I9100 batteries on an I777 - they're not the same. No NFC support for one. There are mixed reports on XDA - some have said it works, others have suggested that when you connect the USB cable, it'll start rebooting over and over again. A possible solution may be to charge the battery by removing it from the phone, and using a charging dock. Seems like a hassel to me. (Not to mention that $20 is awfully cheap for a 2430mah battery - THAT part alone makes me suspicious.)

Now this I wasn't aware of...but I did have a feeling that it would be different.

patrkoch

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I currently have an iPhone 4 and have been debating getting the SG2. How is call quality compared to the iPhone?

riekls

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You are not going to get 2430mah in a battery casing the same size as the OEM. Sorry even if it 'works' it will not have that much capacity.

moustro

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I currently have an iPhone 4 and have been debating getting the SG2. How is call quality compared to the iPhone?

Much better! I would usually drop 3 calls a day on my ip4. Had the sg2 for a week now without one dropped call. I would recommended this phone to anyone looking to switch from ios. I am extremely happy with the move.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
i did the same switch also.. and i think there is something up with the speedtest.net app.. try using a web based speed test.. ive used speakeasy.com and gotten much faster speeds.. acutal HSPA+ speeds

blau808

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

I stepped up from an iPhone 3gs to an sgs2 and the difference is night and day. At first I was regretting my decision, because my AT&T sgs2 was loaded with bloatware and homescreens with ads on them. I was thinking of returning it, then Android opened my eyes to customization and Ive never looked back. LauncherPro is a perfect UI. The things you can do with Android that were locked down with iOS is amazing. Its too bad most iOS users will never know what theyre missing.

sfsilicon

May 18, 2010
Visit site
One of the things that Kills me with cell phones is battery life. I work in a building that is a signal blocker...but I must keep my cell on. This makes my phones struggle to get signal thus killing the batteries. The Iphone 4 handled this much, much better than the Galaxy S2 has so far.

Welcome to Android. ;) Just out of curiosity, do you work near your computer or are you moving around a lot? I have a small USB to micro USB cable that I plug into my PC's USB port and charge the phone whenever I am sitting at my desk. I never have to worry about battery charge. I'm getting my S2 on Friday, but had the S1 before that. You might want to check your power consumption stats and see what is pulling all the power, often it is the screen and using a black background and other tricks will increase battery life. Another easy tweak is to turn use only 2G if you don't need data while at work. Lots of widgets that make switching between 2G-3G a one click thing. The market also has battery optimizer apps. Finally when a good customer ROMs come out you can increase battery life that way as well.

0n3_kn0WN

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I too switched from the iphone 3gs to the galaxy s2, love the device, the only real thing im regretting so far is the button control on the iphone headsets.

Please can someone tell me where to buy a headset that has decent sound, but also buttons in-line plus a mic? I need this functionality, as i like to leave the phone parked in my pocket (so when i stand up from my desk it doesnt go crashing to the floor) and control volume and play/pause. Also need to be able to use them to talk on the phone because i talk while driving and refuse to hold the phone to my ear.

I'm willing to spend 150$ if they're awesome headphones, but they would need the functionality mentioned above for that price.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's funny, I go back and read macrumors esp now since iOS 5 is out and read nothing but enamored users gloat about features that have been available at least a year on other devices. Reminds me of when Lloyd gets blown away by the newspaper article hanging on the wall about us reaching the moon in Dumb and Dumber.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded ios5 to see what its like on my old iphone 4, not all that impressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Reactions: heu77