Is anyone using the Samsung-branded dock for the AT&T GS2?

Does it actually launch a special "dock" mode like WebOS exhibition mode...?

...and if so is there a way to launch dock mode without the dock itself? Clearly the software must all be in the phone (rather than the dock :-))
    10-13-2011 11:28 PM
    Just got mine today... Will let you know!
    10-14-2011 05:43 PM
    Cool! If you don't mind...
    1) Where did you get it?
    2) Is it the AT&T specific one?
    3) Does it load dock mode as soon as you put the phone in?
    4) Is it different from the "Samsung desk home app"?
    10-14-2011 09:34 PM
    Yeah post up some info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    10-15-2011 07:51 AM
    @mrgadget - how's it going with the dock :-)
    10-16-2011 09:33 AM
    Can a dock such as this one be used if you have a case on your phone. I have the AT&T case (the black rubber with leather inlay) as it obviously adds to the dimensions of the phone. Thanks.
    10-16-2011 12:08 PM
    Just got mine today... Will let you know!
    How is it working out for you? Any issues or such?
    10-16-2011 07:30 PM
    Is there a way to avoid the phone from switching to the dock setting when docked?
    10-17-2011 09:27 AM
    1) Where did you get it?
    1). Got mine from Amazon
    2). Yes it is the AT&T specific one. I have to take my case off to use it. I don't think any cases will work with it. It is very snug.
    3). Once you load it into the dock you are given a prompt to use the voice talk or not. Inside the package there is a pamphlet that explains you can download the Samsung Home Dock or Samsung Car Dock app. This will give you that Home Dock with several options to use. Music, voice, clock, settings, etc.
    4). The Samsung desk home app is not loaded. You need to download it to have it.
    JoeSII likes this.
    10-17-2011 02:42 PM
    Is there a way to avoid the phone from switching to the dock setting when docked?
    I don't know if you can avoid the phone from switching to the dock setting because I made it run by default. I think if you don't set a default setting, then there is a prompt that asks you what voice command option you want to use. In dock mode you can exit out of it with a touch of the screen.
    10-17-2011 02:46 PM
    Sorry for lagging guys!
    The dock fits perfectly. It comes with a mounting plate with 3m tape, and a a power adapter with a nice long cord (not coiled).
    The generic mount I had shook like crazy while driving. This one is solid.
    Now, one caveat... The included power adapter blows the fuse every time I plug it in. I am sure it is just a defective one. I just use another power adapter I had and i works fine.
    The phone goes into Vlingo talk mode upon docking. There is an opening for the camera and all the mics are unblocked.
    So far, I really like it.
    10-17-2011 02:47 PM
    1) Where did you get it?
    Got it from The Cell Guru
    It is SGH-I777 specific
    Yes
    Not sure what the desk home app is but I will look...
    10-17-2011 02:49 PM
    Can a dock such as this one be used if you have a case on your phone. I have the AT&T case (the black rubber with leather inlay) as it obviously adds to the dimensions of the phone. Thanks.
    Not this dock... It is an exact fit for the phone. So, unless you are using an InvisibleShield or something, I can't see how you'd be able to squeeze it in. I have my phone "naked" and I carry it in a horizontal leather case when not in use or on the mount.
    10-17-2011 02:50 PM
    There are 2 different types of "Official" docks for this phone. There is 2 different apps from Samsung for this phone also. The car doc and app is definitively made with the voice command in mind. It works great and is in standby mode unless you cancel it. Since it's plugged into the cigarette lighter no worries on battery. Navigation on this phone works great with voice turn by turn directions.

The home app & dock just shows the time and date with a selection of available options. More for entertainment in mind.
    10-17-2011 02:55 PM
    Called Samsung accessory customer service at 1-800-757-0280.
    Got transferred to Samsung Galaxy S II support. Had to register my IMEI # with them, but I guess that is OK. I have a "profile" with them now. After a half hour waiting they gave me a RMA and a free shipping label to send back my old adapter. What a process!
    10-17-2011 04:46 PM
    So how is the speech to text with the road noise?

I don't have the dock yet and just tried it with the vlingo and it would never get out of the "speak now" mode and convert it to text.

What other things can you do while in "drive mode" ? I was hoping it would read my texts to me, but couldn't get that to work either.

Do I have to download something when I put the phone in drive mode to have things work properly? I want to buy the car mount, but if vlingo won't work well with what I want to do (mainly speech to text) , then I'm looking at something like the motorola roadstar or something similar.

Well... I need to buy the car mount anyway as I'm using SYGIC for turn by turn navigation.
    11-02-2011 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD