11-15-2011 01:08 PM
149 1234 ...
tools
    I took my GS2 back last night and will be getting the 4S. While I love what android has done with their OS and particularly the Google Voice integration, I just couldn't live with the GS2's battery life from what I was used to with iPhone.
    Both are incredible phones, though, and it is a great time to be a fan of smartphones in general.
    What kind of battery life were you getting with your sgs2? Mine is very similar to the captivate running darkyrom xxjvs base and I am getting 16 - 18+ hours with syncing my contacts, calender, twitter, fb, bluetooth on all the time, wifi on when I am at home and considering a 150 mah more capacity of battery life with twice the ram and 200 mhz clock with a dual core cpu on the sgs2 vs the captivate is a feat in itself. Even with playing games and high use, still charging once a day on this phone. I am loving the battery life and let's not add .27 inch larger screen aka .3 inch larger compared and still getting equal battery life. Only thing I have done is root and sim unlock, I have not even debloated the stock rom yet and it is getting this kind of battery life.

HTH,
    Charlie
    10-15-2011 02:58 AM
    And I couldn't be happier. The SGS2 had a sexy screen, but that was just about the only thing I really liked about it. The 4S is like getting back into bed with the best lover I ever had, and she's been working out like a maniac to get her body even tighter than before.

Au revoir and bon chance, gentlemen!
    (ugh - what an analogy!... what about the 2nd part of that thought process?

"Once you go back with an EX, its honeymooning AT FIRST, but soon the things that drove you apart begin to surface and you REMEMBER why you left, and you can't book fast enough"

...your lil Apple Girl MAY be accomodating your needs now, but its just a matter of time before she will rear her "proprietary, stubborn, expensive, and limited" head (no pun intended...lol) and you'll once again be eyeing those sexy Android Girls... : )

BTC

P.S. I am by far NO Apple basher, but if you were lured away once, you will be lured away again....once a cheat, always a cheat...lol j/k enjoy : )
    planoman, Lomax and bxborn31 like this.
    10-15-2011 06:23 AM
    (ugh - what an analogy!... what about the 2nd part of that thought process?

"Once you go back with an EX, its honeymooning AT FIRST, but soon the things that drove you apart begin to surface and you REMEMBER why you left, and you can't book fast enough"

...your lil Apple Girl MAY be accomodating your needs now, but its just a matter of time before she will rear her "proprietary, stubborn, expensive, and limited" head (no pun intended...lol) and you'll once again be eyeing those sexy Android Girls... : )

BTC

P.S. I am by far NO Apple basher, but if you were lured away once, you will be lured away again....once a cheat, always a cheat...lol j/k enjoy : )
    +infinity

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    10-15-2011 08:05 AM
    I'm using both the iPhone 4 and the Galaxy S II on my personal and work lines. If nothing else, the iPhone has the best keyboard. It's easy to type on, and it's really smart. Now that it finally has a user dictionary of sorts, flubbing up your commonly used off-color words is a problem no more. Hopefully less "damn you, autocorrect!"

My iPhone is still my main phone, and I love Android, and specially the GSII, but the iPhone is still the most consistent experience, with THE BEST battery life.
    10-15-2011 09:51 AM
    And I couldn't be happier. The SGS2 had a sexy screen, but that was just about the only thing I really liked about it. The 4S is like getting back into bed with the best lover I ever had, and she's been working out like a maniac to get her body even tighter than before.

Au revoir and bon chance, gentlemen!
    I don't see how you can impressed with the iphone4s's speed? I was comparing my co workers in app speed opening with my galaxy S 1 might I add and while it was fast, it wasn't break neck speed fast. Plus the fact that it only 512 megs of ram and don't have apps running in the background due to non true multi task. The experience was really meh at best. Now the galaxy S II, 30 hours of actual use same speed at opening apps as the iphone 4s but with 3d live wall paper running in the background with 6 other apps with not a single hiccup. Plus IOS5 looks almost exactly the same as IOS4 with the exception of the notification bar with some widget type of thing.

Overall I will give a thumbs middle, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    10-15-2011 03:41 PM
    Well enjoy your "sloppy seconds" from Apple, there buddy. 4S is nothing more than a second chance at trying to keep up with Samsung!!! At which they have failed, BTW!!!! Viva la SGSII!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGSII using Tapatalk.
    10-15-2011 09:36 PM
    Why are you guys so childish if he wants to go iphone God Bless. that's why there are a lot of phones. good luck man enjoy your phone.
    10-15-2011 09:40 PM
    Battery life suck after iOS 4.3. I went from always close to two whole days, to less than one.
    10-15-2011 09:58 PM
    Hey, no hate from me. Enjoy it. I love my GS2! My wife's 4S is pretty sweet. She missed it after being on Android for 2+ years. Peace.
    10-15-2011 10:42 PM
    iPhone 4S looks like a decent phone but it has very little on SGSII. There are two very good videos on youtube comparing the two phones shot y a guy who knows both platforms pretty well. I highly recommend those for everyone interested (no those are not my videos ).

The same guy also compared two video cameras and here too SGSII looks at least as good as IP4S (I'd say it actually looks better):

The two areas where IP4S is better are: screen resolution (we knew that one) and voice commands (but not by that much)
    10-15-2011 11:28 PM
    iPhone 4S looks like a decent phone but it has very little on SGSII. There are two very good videos on youtube comparing the two phones shot y a guy who knows both platforms pretty well. I highly recommend those for everyone interested (no those are not my videos ).

The same guy also compared two video cameras and here too SGSII looks at least as good as IP4S (I'd say it actually looks better):

The two areas where IP4S is better are: screen resolution (we knew that one) and voice commands (but not by that much)
    That guys comparison is so horrible....he isn't that familiar with the iPhone...that's for sure.
    10-16-2011 07:58 AM

The SGSII is very impressive. I am a little skeptical about the video footage. I have had both phones and the video on my iPhone 4S is smoother than it was on the SGSII. But I was really impressed with the voice commands on Android. I didn't even know that it could do some of those things. It isn't as cool as Siri but it did seem to be more efficient. The screen on the SGSII is awesome. I loved the colors. However the screen isn't as responsive as on the iPhone. This is evident when typing. I make so many errors when typing on the SGSII. On the iPhone I am faster and a lot more accurate. I don't think that anyone could go wrong with either device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-16-2011 08:00 AM
    I'm using both the iPhone 4 and the Galaxy S II on my personal and work lines. If nothing else, the iPhone has the best keyboard. It's easy to type on, and it's really smart. Now that it finally has a user dictionary of sorts, flubbing up your commonly used off-color words is a problem no more. Hopefully less "damn you, autocorrect!"

My iPhone is still my main phone, and I love Android, and specially the GSII, but the iPhone is still the most consistent experience, with THE BEST battery life.
    I was struggling with the default keyboards on the GSII .. I then purchased Smart Keyboard, all I can say is wow! ... It's like night and day, easier to hit the keys and autocorrect works much better. Give it a try, feels just as good as iPhone keyboard + you get haptic feedback "which I enjoy"
    10-16-2011 10:07 AM
    I love my SGS2 but the battery is strange same usage every day and some days I end the day with 10% others 40% what gives? All the settings are at the lowest they can be and yet my screen still sucks up 68% even with green power
    10-16-2011 10:15 AM
    This is nothing compared to what many iPhone 4S users are experiencing. Check this message thread titles "Batterygate" on Macrumors: Batterygate?? - MacRumors Forums
    10-16-2011 10:21 AM
    This is nothing compared to what many iPhone 4S users are experiencing. Check this message thread titles "Batterygate" on Macrumors: Batterygate?? - MacRumors Forums

iPhone users are going to have to get used to it. Attempting to catch up the competition is going to put a ding into that battery, there's no getting around it.
    10-16-2011 10:53 AM
    Just like with the GSII, I had to "give it a few days" to break in the battery.....I'm sure thats part of what people are complaining about.
    10-16-2011 11:47 AM
    The SGSII is very impressive. I am a little skeptical about the video footage. I have had both phones and the video on my iPhone 4S is smoother than it was on the SGSII. But I was really impressed with the voice commands on Android. I didn't even know that it could do some of those things. It isn't as cool as Siri but it did seem to be more efficient. The screen on the SGSII is awesome. I loved the colors. However the screen isn't as responsive as on the iPhone. This is evident when typing. I make so many errors when typing on the SGSII. On the iPhone I am faster and a lot more accurate. I don't think that anyone could go wrong with either device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I went from Iphone 4 to Samsung S2. The S2 is freaking legit. It is so responsive and the screen is mind blowing. I do admit the typing is a little shortcoming. But to get over that I bought flex9 keyboard. This keyboard is the bomb man. It input, trace, type, and listen to your voice with great accuracy. Sorry for sound like i am advertising for that keyboard lol. As of now I am an android dude all the way. I would never go back to apple with their close source software and outdated technologies.
    10-16-2011 01:06 PM
    They are no doubt that they are pro and cons about both phones. But coming from the apple camp, the SG2 really impressed me. Of course, the resolution is not as great as the iPhone but the color is freaking awesome. And I'm really loving this swype keyboard, wish it had more language support though.
    10-16-2011 03:04 PM
    They are no doubt that they are pro and cons about both phones. But coming from the apple camp, the SG2 really impressed me. Of course, the resolution is not as great as the iPhone but the color is freaking awesome. And I'm really loving this swype keyboard, wish it had more language support though.
    I agree.....the lower resolution screen doesn't matter as much because the colors really POP! I liked having the choice in choosing a keyboard too.

What I really miss the most at the moment is the 4.3" screen vs the 3.5" screen on the iPhone 4s. It's definitely taking some time getting used to for sure.
    10-16-2011 04:06 PM
    another awesome keyboard alternative is swift key x. I've been using it on my gsII and it learns the way you type and has some cool gestures for backspace and other things
    10-16-2011 04:13 PM
    I'm going to be a doubleconvert. I was an iphone 3g, 3gs, 4 user. I got sick of the 3.5" screen and went to the GSII about 2 weeks ago. I LOVE the screen, guh I so love the screen. I love Swype as well! These two things are huge plus's to me.

However .. I am likely going back to the iphone 4s, why? Simple, it works 100% of the time. In the 3 years I had iPhones I think I had a total of 2 crashes and 2 lockups.

In the two weeks i've had the GS2 i've had to reboot 6 times, and force close a dozen applications. I haven't rooted, haven't done anything super fancy to the phone. MMS locks up all the time when taking pictures, I find apps that don't work with the phone. Annoying, and a lot of this comes down to iOS vs Android.

iOS simply works, you can't customize it for a , good luck if you want a new feature, but you can rely on it to be there when you need it. Applications work for everything, huge advantage only having to support 5-6 different cpu/gpu combinations and like 2 resolutions on iphone and 1 on ipad compared to the hundreads of combinations of cpu/gpu/resolution Android has to contend with.

I almost wish Android had not gone open source, that Google had gone the Apple route, made their own hardware and just done it differently. Sigh .. there is no question the 'hardware' of the new android phones is going to outdistance the iPhone's, but until they can make the OS stable, the app store not so fragmented, there are going to be problems like this that can't be surmounted with more cpu cycles.
    10-16-2011 06:23 PM
    Then you have something wrong. Running 41 apps and no problems at all. Certainly no lockups or autonomous reboots. If you read a few threads, a few others have seen this and done factory resets or a device exchange. This is not the norm.
    10-16-2011 08:26 PM
    wow its funny how the 4S is being compared to the GS2, the iphone isnt even 1ghz dual core, the GS2 dominates the iphone in every way except for the low light for the camera
    10-16-2011 08:38 PM
    Then you have something wrong. Running 41 apps and no problems at all. Certainly no lockups or autonomous reboots. If you read a few threads, a few others have seen this and done factory resets or a device exchange. This is not the norm.
    I got SGS2 on the day it was released on AT&T and have not had a single reboot. Admittedly, I do not use MMS. However, your opinion about iOS seems a little bit overly positive. Just check Macrumors forums. Many people complain about Safari force closing all the time (in iOS 5). It happens with SGSII too (the web browser) but vary rarely. Besides, new version of Android ill be released next week. We'll see.
    10-16-2011 10:05 PM
149 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD