11-15-2011 01:08 PM
149 ... 23456
tools
    I've had a 3g, 3GS, and a iPhone 4. I've also owned the Galaxy S and now the GS2. For the first day my GS2 lasted about as long as my iPhone would have. I'll see how it does going on. As far as crashing goes, my iPhone 4 was getting worse lately. I had to do hard reset a few times while on Facebook before the last few OS updates I rarely had problems with the phone freezing. None so far with the GS2. Good luck with the iPhone 4S, may be it will be more stable than my 4 was.
    10-18-2011 12:29 AM
    The only reason I decided to skip on the sg2 and get the iPhone was because of build quality. I'm not a fan of the plastic feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-18-2011 12:31 AM
    ^^^I'm not a fan of glass front and back.. Not durable. I owned an iPhone 4 for 1 year and 3 months then finally 1 little accidental drop cracked the front glass and replacement is $90 (3rd party)
    10-18-2011 12:35 AM
    ^^^I'm not a fan of glass front and back.. Not durable. I owned an iPhone 4 for 1 year and 3 months then finally 1 little accidental drop cracked the front glass and replacement is $90 (3rd party)
    I have an otterbox for when I go to the field and things like that. And I'm insured through my bank so I don't worry about dropping my phone I have full coverage on it. I can see why you don't like it though.
    10-18-2011 12:39 AM
    I personally don't like having a thick case (otterbox or anything that makes the phone double the size). I went through 1 year and 3 month without a case... I was never insured so.. yea.. After I dropped that phone, I was set to get the SGSII since plastic is sometime more durable than glass but the screen is still glass.
    10-18-2011 12:42 AM
    I don't really have a choice about the case when I go to the field. My M9 is strapped to my leg M4 at the ready and banging against my pocket when climbing through windows so no otterbox cracked phone easily, and definitely when I get stuck with the saw. And the SG2 doesn't have an otterbox case.
    10-18-2011 12:49 AM
    I don't really have a choice about the case when I go to the field. My M9 is strapped to my leg M4 at the ready and banging against my pocket when climbing through windows so no otterbox cracked phone easily, and definitely when I get stuck with the saw. And the SG2 doesn't have an otterbox case.
    No offense intended, but I just have to ask you this...

Why in the world would you keep your phone on your person during a field-x? We used to haz... correct our boots all the time for doing that exact thing. Maybe my unit was just of a different mindset.
    10-18-2011 01:51 AM
    No offense intended, but I just have to ask you this...

Why in the world would you keep your phone on your person during a field-x? We used to haz... correct our boots all the time for doing that exact thing. Maybe my unit was just of a different mindset.
    Well when we're you in because everyone has their phones on silent on field exercises. Not one person leaves it even out first sergeant replies to text and I'm in the 82nd Airborne for field exercises and pcs'd from campbell, where it was the same thing. Guess you were in at a different time a phone in your pocket doesn't change your mindset.
    10-18-2011 06:32 AM
    Got the 4S last Friday. I just dont see a noticable speed difference. Camera was fine on my Iphone 4. I feel like a dope talking to Siri, although dictating text messages while driving is a great feature. Returning my 4S. I will wait for the Iphone 5 or see what Ice Cream Sandwich is all about.
    10-18-2011 07:42 AM
    The only reason I decided to skip on the sg2 and get the iPhone was because of build quality. I'm not a fan of the plastic feel.
    I have an otterbox for when I go to the field and things like that. And I'm insured through my bank so I don't worry about dropping my phone I have full coverage on it. I can see why you don't like it though.
    So with the otterbox, Don't have the plastic feel?
    10-18-2011 10:54 AM
    Well when we're you in because everyone has their phones on silent on field exercises. Not one person leaves it even out first sergeant replies to text and I'm in the 82nd Airborne for field exercises and pcs'd from campbell, where it was the same thing. Guess you were in at a different time a phone in your pocket doesn't change your mindset.
    Actually just got out not too long ago. I think it is the difference in the Corps vs. Army here. We always practiced like we played. People got charged over bringing their iphone to the field, sleeping on post, listening to ipods on screen lines etc.... granted we were a no nonsense battalion and heavily deployed in and out of Al Anbar. I still remember my sergeant at the time reupping at his four year mark on his forth pump....

Back on topic, this whole posting is truely interesting to see both takes on it. Just a few days ago I swayed two iPhone loyalists (friends) in a best buy to the GS2 just by having them play with the model, and we were there getting an iPhone 4 screen protector put on! They couldn't believe how clean the whole system worked, and all that it was capable of. Once they found out Europe has had them since april, they were floored. That whole time with them became a real eye opener for me at how unhappy some people were with their iPhones. She was constantly turning it off and on as well as dealing with lag and apps freezing. They were even trying to find a good extended battery as well because they couldn't stand "always charging, all the time".
    Even my older sister (ber iPhan) has come over to android after being leant a Droid X (stock gingerbread) for two weeks. Or my friend's wife (another ber apple fan) getting swayed by an original galaxy s over the iphone 4, and as of Saturday still in love with it 7 or so months later. Guess the saying "different strokes for different folks" still rings true.

A good tell where systems are, will be when we can compare the Nexus Prime to the 4s shortly. Flagship to flagship. I'm sure people will still argue over nonsense things like talking to Siri vs. Google Voice\Vlingo but it will help clarify things.

10-18-2011 12:13 PM
    Hey! iphone user! We don't take kindly to your types 'round here.
    GROW UP
    10-22-2011 09:12 AM
    GROW UP
    I think he was joking.
    10-22-2011 09:32 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here is a drop test, where the GSII fared better than the iPhone.
    http://www.starkinsider.com/2011/10/drop-test-iphone-4s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-video.html
    10-22-2011 09:34 AM
    Not as far as specs go, no. It's too hard to find a benchmark that is fair. Even JavaScript and sunspider benchmarks aren't "fair" in the sense that each OS handles that type of code differently.

My benchmark is how they run in my hand. And between the SGSII and iPhone 4/4S they are equally smooth. I haven't had any rebooted or anything like that (maybe one force close on an app), and battery life for me has been good, but not iPhone good.

Each phone will have it's issues. Hopefully they will be fixed and addressed.

I agree that the iPhone keyboard is amazing (and I love swiftkey and swype).

Also, because of the way multi tasking is handled on ios ram doesn't matter as much.

Lets not make this a bashing thread or I'll be forced to close it. I'm all for lively discussion, but not when it gets to bashing another platform or persons decision.

Sent from my SGS II
    I hear you . its this fourm and site. Xda devoleper must have more mature people in their forums. They answer you and leave the personal opions out.
    I like the GSII after 3 weeks, but it still doesn't lite my fire. I found things that my blackberry did that this will to but not so simple.
    I would gladly reccommend this Phone to another android user. The other day I had to be on the phone and find my appointment as some other things. It was not so simple. Mind you I'm not a gamer R of any sorts.
    So i'm going to give the new Iphone a Try. sofar from the things I done with it I think it will suit my needs better. Of course I will jailbrake it.
    10-22-2011 09:36 AM
    http://www.starkinsider.com/2011/10/drop-test-iphone-4s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-video.html
    It's not about a drop test I don't like the way the phone feels. If I wanted a phone that did well in drop test the iPhone is the last phone I would get I promise you.
    10-22-2011 09:46 AM
    Drop Test: iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II (video) | Stark Insider
    Good video. I am looking at the GS2 and while I still have some concerns about AP Mobile sucking data and the battery life, I am less concerned about the build quality. The drop test pretty much confirmed my impression. To this day I can't figure out what Apple was thinking when they put a glass back on the iPhone 4. (BTW - I am a current iPhone user). In one week 3 of my friends - all pretty careful broke the glass on their iP4. I had no idea it was so expensive to get the 4 repaired compared to the 3Gs. I assumed that a company that would make an all glass phone would design it so it could easily be fixed at their stores.

I have just seen too many broken 4s (beyond the 3 mentioned above) to make me want to consider the phone. I was planning on upgrading to the 5, but since Apple did a minor upgrade I am probably moving to the GS2. I don't get the point in designing such a stylish device and then make is so fragile that you need a boxy case like an otter box to protect it for day to day use.
    Jfenton78 likes this.
    10-22-2011 10:27 AM
    I stopped at the apple store today, whats with the Retina Display screens having a yellow tinge to them. It isn't a glue issue, it's their displays that are on for 10+hrs a day.
    10-22-2011 02:58 PM
    I sold my iPhone 4 and upgraded to the iPhone 4S. While the 4S is nice, its probably wasn't worth wasting the upgrade. Siri was fun for about 2 days. I wish I would have kept the iPhone 4 and used my upgrade on the SGS2 so I could switch back and forth.
    10-23-2011 10:34 PM
    I sold my iPhone 4 and upgraded to the iPhone 4S. While the 4S is nice, its probably wasn't worth wasting the upgrade. Siri was fun for about 2 days. I wish I would have kept the iPhone 4 and used my upgrade on the SGS2 so I could switch back and forth.
    A lot of iPhone 4 owners didn't think that the 4S was a big deal outside of Siri. Personally, I love the 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 11:04 PM
    You can return the 4S and get the SGS2, AT&T will charge you only $35.
    10-24-2011 04:57 PM
    You can return the 4S and get the SGS2, AT&T will charge you only $35.
    Or just sell your 4s and buy a gsii.....you could probably come out profiting.
    10-24-2011 10:00 PM
    Ha I just did the opposite, I just took back my iPhone 4s that I have enjoyed for the week and exchanged for the at&t galaxy s2 .. The S2 is much faster and battery life is almost the same (4s has terrible battery life compared to iPhone 4)
    10-24-2011 11:36 PM
    Like above, I am considering doing the same thing. I've had the 4S for over a week, and the battery life is awful; Which is the 1 thing that kept me from Android. The battery life. I want to enjoy my phone, not have to always carry an extra charger or battery and to worry if I do this or that it's going to drain my battery. But sadly the 4S is at that point IMO. So today I am returning my 4S.
    10-25-2011 10:57 AM
    I don't think you will regret it. I am loving my larger screen, much faster performance and having haptic feedback as I type this message.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    10-25-2011 12:38 PM
149 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD