10-19-2011 01:29 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm not buying the whole story about the LTE version SII coming out on AT&T in November. Why would 3rd party stores sell the HSPA+ version when they know damn well customers are going to return the one they just bought for the LTE ready phone.
    10-16-2011 03:48 PM
    I'm not buying the whole story about the LTE version SII coming out on AT&T in November. Why would 3rd party stores sell the HSPA+ version when they know damn well customers are going to return the one they just bought for the LTE ready phone.
    I'm not buying the LTE garbage that has been posted......makes no sense....especially since they are selling the gsII in markets that are already LTE.
    10-16-2011 03:51 PM
    Most likely apple threatened to pull the iphone from At&t if they allowed the Samsung S2 to be sold in store. Apple knows S2 is a huge threat to them.
    10-16-2011 04:59 PM
    They had the SGS2 in the AT&T store the week of the release.
    10-16-2011 05:01 PM
    They had the SGS2 in the AT&T store the week of the release.
    My guess is depending on the area because my area does not carry them in stores, so I had to order. I heard that the reason is for the rest of the new android phones coming out for the holiday season. Sad as the sgs2 is the best phone period. My guess is that att wants to carry the atrix2, captivate glide versus the sgs2. That is why I had to go 5 days with out a phone because I ordered my phone in the corporate store close to my house.

Hth,
    Charlie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    taylorz_412 likes this.
    10-16-2011 06:22 PM
    I don't buy the Apple argument. At least not the whole lawsuit thing, because they wouldn't sell the phone at all if that was the reason. Purchased mine in store.
    I can see wanting to feature other phones due to a profit margin issue. Heard that the 4S had a high margin due to the minor upgrades over the iPhone 4.
    Wonder how much extra cost is thrown in to customize phone for each carrier. Can't be too good for profit margin, but that's just a guess
    10-16-2011 07:00 PM
    I think the conspiracy theories are overblown, I think it's a combination of stock levels and inventory management. If you live in a area that doens't do booming Android business they don't supply that store, so that they can supply those that do. My local store, that rarely gets a decent quantity of new release handsets, had stock on launch day and had stock yesterday when I stopped in with a friend.
    10-16-2011 07:06 PM
    This is just my own personal opinion and personal conjured speculation, but I think it had to do with certain location/markets are more apt to buy the (new) iPhone rather than a big competitor (Galaxy S2), so they didn't want to sway those potential users away from Apple's iPhone 4S that was released. One might ask why was it only "South Texas" and and California markets, and not New York for example. Well, New York is typically "Verizon country" and having the most stock of all phones in that area would probably be best for AT&T. None-the-less, I hopped right into a local Best Buy last Thursday and purchased this lovely piece of machinery, the Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777).
    10-16-2011 07:23 PM
    or maybe there is just not that much in stock ?
    10-16-2011 09:08 PM
    I went into our local corporate store, and they had them in stock. Perhaps their is some decent demand, I doubt that would be the corporate line that they would tell their employees. Why get the HSPA+ Version, I would assume they would have handled it like verizon.
    10-16-2011 09:18 PM
    they had them by me (long island, NY), as a matter of fact there was 8 or 9 other people getting them that night, the sales rep said that there was only 2 left but that they were getting more in that next day. Maybe there making more? i know they sold 10 million of them in 5 months maybe there beefing up there supply again.
    10-16-2011 09:24 PM
    i'm in the bay area and stopped by the att store today to see if they had the phone. The guy said the same story that Cali stores won't be carrying but I could get then at best buys.

But when I asked why he also added its because they are expecting something better to come out before the end of the year. He wasn't sure if it would be from Samsung so I don't know whether to wait or not. I want the s2 so if its a completely different phone I may not be interested anyways.

of course something better to come out soon could be iPhone, Atrix2, anything really. So yeah I don't buy what anyone is saying but I really hope they can either come out with it already or at least officially give us the reason why. How can you launch a big phone like this and not have it in stock with no clue except that the stores won't be carrying it.

The ironic thing is, the center of the mall has a Samsung kiosk displaying the att sgs2 working model to play with, along with banners everywhere advertising the phone. Oh, and I also passed by a radio shack also displaying the actual phone. I want to get it at their site but if its gonna be like this still in a few Weeks with no good excuse i'm just gonna have to get it somewhere else
    10-17-2011 03:31 AM
    Must be a market specific thing, all the corporate stores have them in Arizona.
    10-17-2011 08:48 AM
    I highly doubt that AT&T purposely tried to derail the biggest player in it's Android line-up, but I have no doubts that they were busy preparing for and wanted to really push the 4S. No matter what our opinions are of our phones, the 4S is and will be a MUCH bigger and more profitable phone for Ma Bell than the GSII. Remember, AT&T was in bed with Apple for years, and essentially ignored all others aside from RIM. I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple told AT&T in no uncertain terms to put their energy into the 4S launch, as Apple has long been known to play stiff with suppliers and vendors.
    10-17-2011 09:23 AM
    I was at the AT&T store on Friday...The launch of the Iphone 4s was on that day....and they had the Galaxy S2 out there right along with it.
    10-17-2011 09:28 AM
    I think the conspiracy theories are overblown, I think it's a combination of stock levels and inventory management. If you live in a area that doens't do booming Android business they don't supply that store, so that they can supply those that do. My local store, that rarely gets a decent quantity of new release handsets, had stock on launch day and had stock yesterday when I stopped in with a friend.
    I agree completely. Anything else is conjecture.

Sent from my SGS II
    10-17-2011 09:43 AM
    to me, if a sales guy is saying to you the reason they are not stocking is because they are getting something better they are just full of it.... what would they ever stock, if u simply follow that logic? haha
    10-17-2011 09:45 AM
    to me, if a sales guy is saying to you the reason they are not stocking is because they are getting something better they are just full of it.... what would they ever stock, if u simply follow that logic? haha
    Yeah and the dumb thing is its only California (plus one or two more states apparently) with no stock, there's no good reason to explain that one. They are not saying it will come soon but are certain that they won't be carrying it, at least until they get further notice.
    10-17-2011 02:51 PM
    It's totally laughable that in the same shopping center, the AT&T store doesn't have the Galaxy SII, but on the other end of it, there's a Target that has it in store (for AT&T).
    10-17-2011 03:39 PM
    I got mine at walmart 148.99 upgrade you can get them all day long for 150.00 online amazon is 99.99 for new contract ATT is 200.00
    10-17-2011 05:13 PM
    I went in to three AT&T corporate stores in the Sacramento area and none of them carry it and it is not on display anywhere. As far as they are concerned, it doesn't exist. When you ask them why, they don't really give an answer because I honestly think that they don't know. They know of the phone, but say they don't know when they will get them in or be able to sell them.

When I was talking to an authorized AT&T re-seller, he said that they won't get any until mid-November. He didn't know why either but was told it had something to do with problems with the device in the area. I don't buy that but that was his guess.

I then went across the street to best buy and picked one up. Too bad they don't carry any accessories for it yet.

What is up with CA?
    10-18-2011 10:22 AM
    We have them here at my store(Pa) . If they have not fixed the lock screen issue, that would be a good reason to pull them off the shelves.
    10-18-2011 02:52 PM
    I went in to three AT&T corporate stores in the Sacramento area and none of them carry it and it is not on display anywhere. As far as they are concerned, it doesn't exist. When you ask them why, they don't really give an answer because I honestly think that they don't know. They know of the phone, but say they don't know when they will get them in or be able to sell them.

When I was talking to an authorized AT&T re-seller, he said that they won't get any until mid-November. He didn't know why either but was told it had something to do with problems with the device in the area. I don't buy that but that was his guess.

I then went across the street to best buy and picked one up. Too bad they don't carry any accessories for it yet.

What is up with CA?
    Well the store should allow you to buy one and have it shipped to your door but what is crappy about that it takes 3 - 4 days before it shows up, shipping out of Texas. I ordered mine on 10/6/2011 and it was at my house on 10/11/2011 in usps priority and on the 10/7/2011 my sister pre-ordered the iphone 4s and it arrived on launch day with it being sent overnight via fed ex. Oh well I have my phone and love it when the 8 different corporate stores from San Luis Obispo throught Thousand Oaks do not carry this phone but in San Diego they do lol.

HTH,
    Charlie
    10-18-2011 03:05 PM
    Well the store should allow you to buy one and have it shipped to your door but what is crappy about that it takes 3 - 4 days before it shows up, shipping out of Texas. I ordered mine on 10/6/2011 and it was at my house on 10/11/2011 in usps priority and on the 10/7/2011 my sister pre-ordered the iphone 4s and it arrived on launch day with it being sent overnight via fed ex. Oh well I have my phone and love it when the 8 different corporate stores from San Luis Obispo throught Thousand Oaks do not carry this phone but in San Diego they do lol.

HTH,
    Charlie
    I also thought of going to see if I can order it seeing as my captivate coincidentally started acting funny over the weekend. But I thought to myself, maybe I should wait until it drops to 99 because all these other smartphones are coming out right now. My captivate also had a price drop 1 month after I got it.
    I think I'll factory reset my phone first to see I'd I can buy some more time. Maybe Android central can do some research and shed some light on this issue with an article lol
    10-18-2011 03:21 PM
    We have them here at my store(Pa) . If they have not fixed the lock screen issue, that would be a good reason to pull them off the shelves.
    Really? Jeezus, come on! It's not that huge of a deal and there is a more than simple workaround....thats NOT a good reason, period.
    10-19-2011 08:42 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD