Exchange Activesync Email Setup Problem

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a GS2 that I got a week ago, I set up the exchange email without any problem. Had a slight problem with emails sending, but I deleted the account, added it again, problem solved.

I have a two new GS2s for my two biz partners. I try to set up their emails and I get "Setup could not finish, Activation Failed. Unable to connect to network. Try again with network provider's default APN."

I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T. Can't figure this one out. I have a data connection, I've tried over wifi, I've used a Microcell. If I try to add an email account, I get the above message - no matter what account I add. If I go to my working GS2, same configuration, same network, etc, I can add another email account and it sees and activates with my exchange server, no problem. Can't get two new phones to do connect to activesync.

New phones do SMS, phone, internet, android market, gmail, etc fine. I've done a factory reset, default APN, etc. I'm really stumped on this. Any ideas?

Doug

jleliekelly

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
My old EVO -I was told to download that as the first account , then gmail - didn't work. Blah, blah....then was told to hard reset and try it again-didnt work-stand on my head, rub my belly..... I just bought touchdown and saved myself the hassle.

Rolled out from from my Photon via Tapatalk

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My old EVO -I was told to download that as the first account , then gmail - didn't work. Blah, blah....then was told to hard reset and try it again-didnt work-stand on my head, rub my belly..... I just bought touchdown and saved myself the hassle.

Rolled out from from my Photon via Tapatalk

I used to use touchdown, but since it works on one, it should work on another. I was hoping to avoid touchdown since the GS2 has such an improved email interface.

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My problem was resolved, it was entirely AT&T. Called the store, not tech support, because the voice mail wasn't working. They fixed that and something on the account configuration. Now it works. How does AT&T tech support miss all of that?

78Staff

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Exchange is just twitchy. I had it all working fine but did a hard reset for a different issue, and now after re-setting up AS I get no inbox emails. I get emails in folders, and contacts/calendar, just not the inbox. Very strange.

EDIT - removing and re-creating the Exchange acct seems to have resolved the issue.

Last edited:

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It turns out the store added the Enterprise Data plan. I had already tried this with tech support and it didn't work, so not sure why the store was able to do.

But, more importantly, I didn't think I needed to use an Enterprise Plan to connect to exchange server activesync. I know they want to sell me up to that, but I have a $30 non-enterprise plan on another account, same phone, and it works fine.

So, what is the account setup that I need to tell AT&T to do? I don't really need Enterprise do I?

78Staff

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
"Used" to be that you did not - the data is the same, they just gouge "corporate" users who they think are going to use more data/bandwidth with Exchange, VPN, etc than your typical texter occasional gmail reader,etc. They store or call rep would force it on you, but you could actually go to the online config and change your settings around, drop the high $ package and add the "mediaweb" package or whatever it was called and save $15+. As long as you weren't a bandwith hog noone was the wiser.

Now, Not so sure you can do that anymore..