Hey. I just came from an iPhone 4. I used to have a 3G icon on my phone to let me know when I had 3g. But I only see a 'H' icon in my top. I had the unlimited data plan on the iPhone. Did they automatically remove that plan from me since I bought a Galaxy S2 from ebay? I hope not.

Does the H mean edge instead of 3g or 4g? I'm a little worried they removed that plan from my account because I plugged in a different phone.

Thanks, a little confused.
    10-17-2011 08:27 PM
    H/H+ = 3G/3.5G
    10-17-2011 08:30 PM
    "H" stands for HSPA. This is 3g technology. If you see the "H" icon, it is identical to seeing a "3G" icon on the iPhone.

"H+" stands for HSPA+, an upgrade from traditional 3g technology. AT&T calls this upgrade 4g, the ITU calls it 4g, but its really just a faster 3g (3.5g if you will). But that's a whole different discussion.

So basically, don't worry. If you upgraded through AT&T, you should still have your unlimited data running at 3g, and if you ever travel into a 4g-enabled area, you'll get to enjoy the speed boost. No worries.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU[/YT]
    jermneedscoffee likes this.
    10-17-2011 09:46 PM
    Like others have said, H+ is AT&T's "4G". Enjoy the increase in speed.
    10-17-2011 09:52 PM
    When I was using my Captivate *before it bootlooped and then I cracked the digitizer*, mine would only hit 3G when it switched from Edge and then over to 3G then it would run H *hspa* as Mikegrann stated. Now my sgs2 shows H+ all the time when in fact when it goes into idle it sits on H/3G but att had the framework modified so it shows h or h+ all the time instead of 3G. Since you had the unlimited data plan, you should still have it even though they will change the plan to the latest unlimited plan. They did with mine when I upgraded.

HTH,
    Charlie
    10-17-2011 09:56 PM
    Like others have said, H+ is AT&T's "4G". Enjoy the increase in speed.
    keep in mind having the H+ symbol doesn't mean your area has activated their enhanced backhaul system to enable the 4g speeds yet.
    10-17-2011 10:13 PM
    keep in mind having the H+ symbol doesn't mean your area has activated their enhanced backhaul system to enable the 4g speeds yet.

I'm in Chicago.
    10-17-2011 10:14 PM
    taken from highonandroid

AT&T HSPA+ 21.1Mbps 4G Network Connectivity

The AT&T Galaxy S2 features HSPA+ 21.1Mbps 4G network connectivity. In real life, the HSPA+ does well at getting reliable signal. Although the actual download speeds aren’t terribly fast (Verizon 4G LTE got 20Mbps while Sprint WiMax go 10Mbps on same test area), it does a respecting 3-4Mbps download in real life testing.

One advantage of HSPA+ is that it’s not real 4G (maybe 3G+) but does actual consume a lot less power over its real 4G competition 4G LTE and WiMax (which are energy-hoggers).

Also note that the HSPA+ 21.1Mbps on the Galaxy S2 is tad bit better technology and faster than HSPA+ 14.1Mbps found on the new iPhone 4S, marking AT&T Galaxy S2 the fastest 4G phone right now for AT&T.
    10-17-2011 11:20 PM
    I know it's almost 3yrs ago but the galaxy s2 doesn't have the 4g capability that's why you need to purchase a 4g ready handset. I was just saying for future reference to people reading this message like myself. Thanks
    11-18-2014 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD