Sooooo yeah when are we getting this update??
    10-19-2011 02:42 PM
    Well, using the Captivate as a case study ...

Froyo released May 2010

Captivate launched with Eclair in July 2010

Captivate received Froyo in February 2011

So while Froyo had already been out for 2 months when the Captivate launched, it came with Eclair and didn't receive Froyo until 7 months later. This time, the GSII would have been out on AT&T for about a month before ICS hits a device.

So I'd put an official ICS push to this device sometime in June 2012 (if ever).

If you want it sooner, there will very likely be a developer release that you'll be able to flash if you're rooted.
    10-19-2011 02:56 PM
    /facepalm...Guess i will be forced to learn how to root my phone soon then.
    10-19-2011 03:03 PM
    If a phone is rooted, can you manually put sandwich on the phone?
    10-19-2011 03:31 PM
    If a phone is rooted, can you manually put sandwich on the phone?
    Read this...It might help you understand...then again, maybe not.
    10-19-2011 03:33 PM
    Well, using the Captivate as a case study ...

Froyo released May 2010

Captivate launched with Eclair in July 2010

Captivate received Froyo in February 2011

So while Froyo had already been out for 2 months when the Captivate launched, it came with Eclair and didn't receive Froyo until 7 months later. This time, the GSII would have been out on AT&T for about a month before ICS hits a device.

So I'd put an official ICS push to this device sometime in June 2012 (if ever).

If you want it sooner, there will very likely be a developer release that you'll be able to flash if you're rooted.
    Well you are right, however, on my captivate, July 18, 2010 Captivate with Eclair around August or September a leak of Froyo *ji6* was released by DesignGears, ran that until I stepped up to Perception *i9000 based* a few weeks later and then when GB was released earlier this year for i9000 based roms switched over to that and ran DarkyRom based roms for the past 2 months then I got my sgs2.. So waiting for an official ics will be a rather long wait but when there is a leak released, then we will see some ics on the sgs2 when that happens but it is still a wait and see as it is just a bit early right at the moment.

HTH,
    Charlie
    10-19-2011 03:45 PM
    The article makes sense.......considering how popular S2 is and its relative importance to Samsung, and Samsungs head start on working with ICS, it is reasonable to expect an official update perhaps sooner than later.
    10-19-2011 06:30 PM
    I just got done playing with the ICS Emulator, not that big of a deal IMHO. While everything looks a tad prettier overall core functionality is the same. Won't hurt my feelings either way.
    10-20-2011 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD