1. duncanator's Avatar
    I'm trying to decide if I should keep my GS2 or return it. The reason is because it is not certain which phones will receive the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. I'd like to think the GS2 will, but we know how long it takes AT&T to upgrade devices. I really don't want to start off a two year contract with a device that will not be updated for the life of the contract. Sure, I could always install another ROM, but I shouldn't have to do that to stay current.

    I know that with android you could always chase the next device out there which can be very frustrating. For me, it is more of an issue with the OS and not the hardware, which I am very happy with. What is making me crazy is the fact that the OS could be obsolete within the first two weeks of buying the phone. I have until the end of the month to return it so I hope to know more before then. At least With my old 3Gs, I still received updates for the whole time I had it. I don't want to go back to iOS at all.

    Any thoughs? Thanks for the advice.
    10-21-2011 10:39 AM
  2. Emcee's Avatar
    If cost is no problem, buy an international GS2 or Galaxy Nexus.
    10-21-2011 10:54 AM
  3. rrajarajan's Avatar
    I am facing the same dilemma too. Having bought the GS2 on the first day of its release in the US, only to find out in a few days that there is a newer one around the corner. All because of the fact that the GS2 took more than 6 months to turn up in the US after being available all over the world. I have no complaints about my GS2 - but am tempted to return it just to get the newer one, have 1 week more to decide.
    10-21-2011 11:35 AM
  4. planoman's Avatar
    Same here. I actually like the phone ok but have a feeling ICS will be delayed for the SGSII since Samsung releases new phones so quickly. I may return to free up my upgrade and then buy an Atrix 2 off contract to to hold me until I see the phones coming out with ICS on AT&T

    I have been in meetings all week and do not really know the scoop on what ICS will have over Gingerbread. I need to get caught up on all the features and videos etc. Another week to decide.
    10-21-2011 12:34 PM
  5. derande's Avatar
    who cares?!?
    if you like the phone, keep it. if you're all wishy-washy, get rid of it!

    i bought mine on the release date online from at&t and couldn't be happier (coming from the original galaxy s captivate). i could care less if and when it gets ICS or not or if there's a "newer" device around the corner.

    the galaxy S2 rules and there's nothing about the device itself or any future updates that would make me want to get rid of it. it just works to damn well.

    <end rant>
    10-21-2011 12:45 PM
  6. ricktat's Avatar
    I am going to guess that AT & T will have a ICS in the next 4-8 weeks. This device may not be a Nexus or even close to the Nexus.

    My next guess is that the SG2 will get ICS in the next 6 months. But if AT & T does not get the Nexus then that time line should be sped up just so they can continue to sell the SG2. So who knows it could be less than 8 weeks to see ICS.

    Now if a quad core Samsung phone somes out in Feb then it will be back to the 6 month timeline.

    Android will upgrade every 6-9 months and you will always be chasing the next version.

    I was really mad that it took AT&T so long to add Froyo to my Captivate and to be honest with you I can't say that it made that much of a difference to the phone.

    So lets say you get the latest AT &T ICS phone in your hands on December 12th.... Then In January you are going to hear about a quad core phone that comes out in Feb..... then in May you are going to hear about the next OS... and so on

    Another thought though... I remember seeing the Atrix 2 had a MSRP of $449 even on the Motorolla site. You could buy that with no contract and Cragslist it when you decide.
    10-21-2011 12:55 PM
  7. CBPilu's Avatar
    AT&T will not have an ICS phone until at least spring of next year. AT&T has a nice android line up but it takes them forever to get new phones, and even longer to get new phones with the newest OS. Remember, GB phones didnt start popping up for a few months until after the Nexus S release.
    10-21-2011 01:01 PM
  8. duncanator's Avatar
    Yeah, I hear what all of you are saying and for the most part agree with everything said. I suppose my best option would be to keep it since I like it and wait for google and the carriers work out the bugs in the new OS. Then, in a year from now, look again to see what is out there and decide if it's worth it to jump to a new device and pay the full price for it.
    10-21-2011 01:02 PM