Battery drain while phone is OFF?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought two AT&T GS2's on Friday - one for me, one for my wife. I left my wife's at my office over the weekend because I wanted to test mine and make sure we were going to keep them before I gave hers to her. I turned her GS2 off before I left the office on Friday evening and put it back in its box for safe keeping. Battery reading was 56% (I remember because that is exactly the same reading that mine was when I left).

I arrive at the office this morning around 8:30am. Try to turn her phone on. It won't turn on. I hold the power button for various different amounts of time, look at the instruction manual to make sure I'm not missing something, etc. Nothing. So I plug in the charger, and sure enough, shows that the battery is empty, and it starts charging the thing.

Now, I'm no expert, but I think I should be concerned that the battery went from 56% to dead in 2 days, while the phone was OFF the entire time. Heck, even if the phone was somehow NOT off, I would probably expect it to last 2 days with ZERO use. At any rate though, I'm 100% sure the phone was off.

Anybody else experience anything similar? Massive battery drain while the phone is off? My plan is to go ahead and let it charge completely, let my wife use it tonight when I bring it home, record the battery percentage before we go to bed, then turn her phone off tonight and see how much it drains.

Any input appreciated. Must admit that I'm very tempted to go exchange it and not even bother testing it more, because I'm pretty darn sure there's gotta be something wrong for the battery to drain like that when the phone is off.

Oh, and just for the record, the phone had never been used. When I turned it off on Friday, it was on the little "Touch Android to Begin Screen" -- we never even entered her Gmail information. So there's absolutely no chance that some rogue app was doing anything.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You hit the power button long enough to see the menu and selected power off?

Correct. I've owned an android phone for two years (Droid Incredible), so I am familiar with the powering off process :)

It's about 3/4 of the way charged now, so hopefully within the next hour or two I'll take it off the charger, see how it fares, and then turn it off again tonight and see if loses much juice overnight.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
i once went from 54% at bed to dead in the morning, it happened once

and so far not again but it stilll pissed me off because what if this happens when i need my phone alarm for work

these phones r so buggy but i still like it, but i kind of wish i had an iphone 4s at times :/

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Now, don't quote me :), but I read an article some time ago about batteries draining when smartphones were powered off. Apparently, the only way to truly turn a phone off is to remove the battery. Some services can run when the phone is off like, GPS, some bloatware, etc. Maybe that caused the drain or, you could just have a bad battery.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Android is not like that. When you power off this device it literally is off unlike a BB where you actually need to pull the battery to truly power it off. If that were not true, it would be tough to get into download mode or CWM etc plus you would not see the device actually boot...

BugDad25

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I have not simulated a 2 day battery check but I have had the phone on with the screen off for about 12+ hours and the battery drain was just a few percent. I have been happy with battery life in general in spite of a lot of posts about battery issues. Noticeably better than the Captivate I had before.

Since the phone was brand new maybe your battery was not "broken in" and actually showing a valid charge. If you fully charge and then discharge the battery a couple of times I would guess you will be happy with the results. If not, return and get a another one.

Jennifer Lynn2

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I just turned off my phone then turned it back on within two minutes time. Before I turned it off, my battery was 67% but when I turned it back on a minute later, its 21%!! o_O I don't know what is wrong with it! That's the second time!!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had phones power almost all the way off but mysteriously leave the home row backlight on, my thunderbolt does that occasionally and I'm pretty sure that's what drained my battery once when I didn't notice it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma