I'm rooted. I can't stand that apps I didn't approve of are being installed on my phone without my knowledge until it's too late. An app called City ID just installed itself on my phone. It said, congratulations on your trial of City ID. What?! Also, google keeps selecting auto-update on apps like books, even though I keep deselecting it. I don't know the update has happened until it's over and my phone reboots on its own.

Please, can someone tell me how I can stop this junk from happening? I'm tempted not to use anything google anymore just because they're forcing apps on me, but the City ID thing really bothers me.

Thanks
    10-25-2011 08:07 PM
    CityID comes preinstalled. It's what tells you the callers location for incoming and outgoing calls.
    10-25-2011 09:02 PM
    Just reply no at the end of the trial and it should go away. When they update say no to permissions. I'm not rooted so I just dragged the bloatware to a folder called "Crapware" Once the trial is up you wont see the caller's city anymore. No biggie.

Rather then post a link(Not sure what they allow here)... googling "removing citiID from galaxy s2" gave a link on the first page of the search results that gave rooted directions for removing bloat.
    10-25-2011 09:20 PM
    I wonder why, if it was already on my phone, did it congratulate me on my new trial offer? Also, my phone rebooted on its own after the install. I don't know what information its gathering from my phone and I don't like that it installed itself without asking permission.

I wish I knew if TB would allow me to stop all updates until I approve them. If I freeze google books, will that prevent it from updating?
    10-25-2011 10:24 PM
    I have a similar problem in that the cost of downloads on my phone bill has increased markedly since changing to the Galaxy S II last month. I haven't instigated any downloads, so I can only think that this is the result of auto updates of apps taking place while I am away from home and remote from my normal wifi connection. How do I put a stop to this?
    10-26-2011 06:01 AM
    I've done more reading and will freeze the auro-update apps I don't use, as well as, ATT's bloatware with Titanium Backup. I know this will stop the apps from running. I just hope it will also stop them from auto-installing from thw market. It happens to me whether I'm on home wifi or not.
    10-26-2011 08:03 AM
    I have a similar problem in that the cost of downloads on my phone bill has increased markedly since changing to the Galaxy S II last month. I haven't instigated any downloads, so I can only think that this is the result of auto updates of apps taking place while I am away from home and remote from my normal wifi connection. How do I put a stop to this?
    If rooted, freeze them if you are not using them...

If not rooted, or if you do want to use the apps but just have them not auto-update, go into market app and un-select "allow auto update" for the app... You can still update them manually, on your own schedule...
    10-26-2011 10:49 AM
    Root and TB appears to be the only way to stop this from happening.

Unfortunately, deselecting auto update in the market is not enough. Just before an update, google repeatedly re-selects the option, as do several others. That's why I was looking for a rock solid way of stopping it.
    10-26-2011 10:58 AM
    I backed up Google Books in TiBu, then uninstalled it. No more updates! Unless I do a total wipe of phone and install a new ROM that preinstalls it. I have uninstalled a lot of apps I never use. Smoke wallpapers/ADW launcher/CM wallpapers....Froze the music app, as I use Google Music 4.0 or Meridian...

As long as I backup system apps on TiBu, have had no problems uninstalling them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    10-26-2011 11:08 AM
    I used a stock ROM that was pre-rooted and used Titanium Backup to go through and stop apps I didnt want. The first thing I discovered is the free Titanium Backup version doesnt allow freezing of apps, only removing. That is fine since you can backup the apps before you remove them. I went with the full version so I could freeze apps. I used this link to help me decide which apps are safe to freeze/remove. https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...Xc&output=html
    10-26-2011 11:57 AM
    I backed up Google Books in TiBu, then uninstalled it. No more updates! Unless I do a total wipe of phone and install a new ROM that preinstalls it. I have uninstalled a lot of apps I never use. Smoke wallpapers/ADW launcher/CM wallpapers....Froze the music app, as I use Google Music 4.0 or Meridian...

As long as I backup system apps on TiBu, have had no problems uninstalling them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I will probably end up doing this because Google Books doesn't show up in my apps to freeze list. In fact, the only apps that show up are the apps I want to run. I need to play with TB filtering a bit more, I think.
    10-26-2011 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD