Text Message Notification Sound?

yenrab26

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

New android user, new to the forum.

I'm trying to change the sound of my text message alert, but I'm not having any luck. I believe the correct pathway into settings is:

Settings > Sound > Notification ringtone > whichever sound I choose......

However, whichever sound I choose isn't retained. It's as if the sound I chose the first day I had my SGS2 is permanently chosen.

I have downloaded many other tones / alerts etc... and they play appropriately.

I have stored those files in my phone at: /sdcard/media/

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
so by default the SG2 can only use one ringtone for notifications, whether it's incoming call, email, text, etc? That's annoying ... why do they even have a ringtone notification option in the Messaging, Email, etc areas then?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You can set one main default notification ringtone, but then you can assign different notification ringtones for your email app, messaging app, etc. Personally, I use WhoIsIt. It doesn't work for gmail anymore since google stopped allowing 3rd party apps access, but it's a great tool for assigning ringtones and notification ringtones to specific contacts. It also allows me to set certain people up as priority, like family, so that my phone will ring whether it's in silent mode or not. This way, while I set my phone to silent at night, if one of my family members calls or messages me, my phone will ring. You can try it out for free from the market. I hope this helps a little.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got my phone today and was quickly getting annoyed with the default setting. I tried to change the setting with no luck. I did a search and found this thread. I'm so glad I found it. Thanks for sharing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance