Android 'visual voicemail' equivalent?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The weird thing which I don't understand, is why is it that AT&T is the only major US carrier which doesn't offer Visual Voicemail on their android phones. All the other majors do. AT&T is really lame sometimes and just doesn't get it.

I think that's why they developed the ATT Messages App. Maybe they were trying to streamline the service for all of their android phones. The VvM is implemented by the manufacturers in conjunction with the carriers.

I did read somewhere that the VIVID is supposed to have native VVM.

I didn't care for the dual notifications you get with Messages app.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on Youmail a few weeks ago due to notifications never coming through. This is something I experienced on multiple devices and carriers and is a known problem according to their forums that has carried over through multiple updates of the app. I liked the Youmail interface more than Google Voice, but GV works like it is supposed to.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've read a lot about people having notification problems and couldn't figure it out. Mine come through like clockwork. It's the contact management, or should I say, lack of contact management I can't stand. Still, I love it for the call control. I had a telemarketer calling me constantly. I sent a cease and desist letter, but that didn't stop them. I downloaded a greeting that makes them think they've miss dialed and they're unable to leave me a message. No more calls! I guess it's a love/hate relationship:)

cmallow

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
AT&T's Messages app on my GS2 displays the text of a VM too, that's better than VVM on my IPhone. I also was able to disable txt message notifications for the app.

Last edited:

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
AT&T's Messages app on my GS2 displays the text of a VM too, that's better than VVM on my IPhone. I also was able to disable txt message notifications for the app.

can you share how you disabled TXT notifications? I found no option to do so in the SETTINGS of the ATT Messages app.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can google voice be used to take vmails on your primary mobile #? That is, won't it only work if someone calls your google VOICE phone number? I need a vmail for my actual AT&T phone #, and I didn't think gvoice could do so (unless I port my # over to google or such, which I'm unwilling to do).

Not sure anybody answered this...Google Voice will work just fine with your mobile number for voicemail. It's what I use.

Sent from my SGS II

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I used YouMail when I was using webOS and got the app when I switched to android. It works well for the most part. Like someone else mentioned already, I have a problem not getting notifications sometimes. But I still like it better than standard voicemail. I havent tried Google Voice. Maybe I'll look into that.

cmallow

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I use Go SMS and set it as default after clearing defaults for AT&T messaging in applications. If anything asked I selected Go SMS. I remember it being a pain but, I don't get notifications for texts just phone calls in AT&T messaging.

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I use Go SMS and set it as default after clearing defaults for AT&T messaging in applications. If anything asked I selected Go SMS. I remember it being a pain but, I don't get notifications for texts just phone calls in AT&T messaging.

Sorry, I just don't see this option and I'm hoping you can help me recreate what you did to disable text message notifications in the app (w/o disabling voicemail notifications)? e..g, I go into the main SETTINGS > Applications, where the only relevant option appears to be Manage applications; but Manage Apps just shows the list of installed apps (downloaded, all, on SD card, running). I find AT&T Messages in the Downloaded list, and upon clicking it I see options to "force stop", "Uninstall" and "Clear Data". None of these seem like they'd do the trick; could you provide more info on what you meant by "clearing defaults for AT&T messaging in applications," am I looking in the wrong place?

BTW, you're on a Samsung Galaxy S2 as well, yes? If not, maybe you're seeing an option I'm not under Settings > Apps?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, these double text msg notifications are a total pita.

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, these double text msg notifications are a total pita.

To disable double notifications, just go into the app that you don't want notifications for and uncheck notify (or whatever it says). Access the menu by pressing the menu key and going into options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I too use Google voicemail for my AT&T number. Works great, and you even can archive and listen to it from Google's web portal. My only quarrel with it is the voice-to-text translation is usually wrong, but I can at least make out the context of the wording and figure it out. As pure voicemail, it is stellar in my opinion.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I too use Google voicemail for my AT&T number. Works great, and you even can archive and listen to it from Google's web portal. My only quarrel with it is the voice-to-text translation is usually wrong, but I can at least make out the context of the wording and figure it out. As pure voicemail, it is stellar in my opinion.

I too use google voice I like it better than my old iphone visual voicemail because I could check it on my ipad my android tablet and on the google website

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
getting really annoyed with AT&T Messages ... twice now I have dialed in to the vmail number manually to find a vmail message which was not downloaded by the ATT Messages app - crap.

BLOND37

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I too use google voice I like it better than my old iphone visual voicemail because I could check it on my ipad my android tablet and on the google website

i have GV set up on my SGS2 but i dunno how much i'm liking it.. i'm not the type to "read" voice mails on my laptop which is my only other device and i thought GV was like att iphone visual voice mail..

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
i have GV set up on my SGS2 but i dunno how much i'm liking it.. i'm not the type to "read" voice mails on my laptop which is my only other device and i thought GV was like att iphone visual voice mail..

You can play the voicemail on all the devices too. Just click play.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante