Best ROM for the SGS2?

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
^ good to see another MR member on here.

im also switching back and forth with an iphone (3gs - jb untethered ios 5). im currently running unnamed 1.3.1 on the sg2. with a full charge, im getting 22+/- hours with moderate usage. pretty darn good.

not to talk bad about MR, but android members seem to be more friendly and helpful. :p

Hey polobreaka! Yep, I'm another "convert" who's glad to finally see what I've been missing (and it seems I've been missing a lot!)

I've noticed that too, both here and at xda (or for that matter, any of the Android forums I've been on). The members are MUCH friendlier than MR. I don't know why that is (that MR regulars can be so harsh), but here, when you ask a question, even if it's something simple and silly that's been answered a hundred times, people don't flame you...they simply help. It's pretty refreshing.

Not to get off-topic, but it amazes me how much misinformation is spread on MR about Android. I thought Android would be a mess having only heard what people there say, that I wouldn't be able to find apps on the Market that could satisfy me like the ones I find on the App Store. It's simply not true. While I still have my 4S and I still like it a lot, it's gonna see very little use now that I've got my SGSII. In stock form, at least, it's just boring and stale in comparison to the SGSII (even in stock, let alone rooted and running a different ROM).

I'm glad I'm here now! :)

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
<clip

Not to get off-topic, but it amazes me how much misinformation is spread on MR about Android. I thought Android would be a mess having only heard what people there say, that I wouldn't be able to find apps on the Market that could satisfy me like the ones I find on the App Store. It's simply not true. While I still have my 4S and I still like it a lot, it's gonna see very little use now that I've got my SGSII. In stock form, at least, it's just boring and stale in comparison to the SGSII (even in stock, let alone rooted and running a different ROM).

I'm glad I'm here now! :)
I've also got a 4S. I think it's seen about 3 days of sunlight since I got it on launch day. The GSII is just more fun to use IMO.

By my vote is for UnNamed Rom. It's flawless.

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks-wise, it's not much different. The biggest aesthetic change is in the stock messaging app, but I use Handcent anyway, so that didn't matter much.

There are a lot of "under the hood" changes. The bloatware has been removed for the most part. And there are little changes, like being able to use the volume keys for the shutter on the camera (hold the button down and it auto-focuses, release to shoot the shot).

The biggie for me has been battery life. In the description on xda, it says a small improvement...but my real-world results have been better than that. In the course of a normal day at work, I'd get home with about 40% battery remaining with either the stock or rooted stock. But now I seem to get home with around 50-52% remaining with the same usage (roughly). I don't consider a 10% jump in battery life to be small. :)

YMMV, but I'm really liking it so far.
Well, you twisted my arm. I installed UnNamed 1.3.1 two nights ago. It went smoothly (I did read about 150 pages of the thread before I tried it). I also followed the "How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!!" thread on XDA so I do not get the yellow triangle/exclamation mark at bootup [GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers Volume button for taking pictures, ten controls in the notification, volume up/down for next song, boot animation, reboot option..... all great features. The features in ClockworkMod Recovery (which I installed in preparation for UnNamed) are very nice also. I used CWM to install the ICS Roboto font which looks very nice. I can see this is going to get addictive :p

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, you twisted my arm. I installed UnNamed 1.3.1 two nights ago. It went smoothly (I did read about 150 pages of the thread before I tried it). I also followed the "How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!!" thread on XDA so I do not get the yellow triangle/exclamation mark at bootup [GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers Volume button for taking pictures, ten controls in the notification, volume up/down for next song, boot animation, reboot option..... all great features. The features in ClockworkMod Recovery (which I installed in preparation for UnNamed) are very nice also. I used CWM to install the ICS Roboto font which looks very nice. I can see this is going to get addictive :p

Where did you find a CWM flashable Roboto font? Would love to give that a try on mine as well!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams