Best ROM for the SGS2?

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I am set on getting the Galaxy Nexus if it comes to AT&T or the SGS2 or Skyrocket if it does not, but my wife has decided on the SGS2 because she says the other two are just a little too big for her (especially considering we are coming from the iPhone 4).

Anyway, she wants me to flash it to the best stable ROM as soon as she gets it so she doesn't get used to the stock ROM before we can choose and flash a new ROM.

So, what is the best stable ROM and why?

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
quick side hijack - I'm planning to root my phone and go with CM7 or Unnamed, but b4 doing so I wonder is there a way to backup the current config of the phone (e.g., similar to the iPhones "backup via iTunes" feature so that I can restore both the stock firmware and the config/settings & apps ... basically, take it back to the exact current state?

moustro

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
quick side hijack - I'm planning to root my phone and go with CM7 or Unnamed, but b4 doing so I wonder is there a way to backup the current config of the phone (e.g., similar to the iPhones "backup via iTunes" feature so that I can restore both the stock firmware and the config/settings & apps ... basically, take it back to the exact current state?

Yes enter cwm and use the backup/restore option. I switch between roms all the time. When you restore from a backup it is exactly the way it was configured prior to flashing a new rom

netwerx1

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes enter cwm and use the backup/restore option. I switch between roms all the time. When you restore from a backup it is exactly the way it was configured prior to flashing a new rom

Don't you first have to wipe the data and reflash the original kernel/ROM before restoring the backup?

manuco

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,
I got a problem with this unnamed ROM. I installed it in v1.3.0 2 hours ago, and it drained my battery at 2% / minute !! It is now at 0% !
Also, during the time I could use it a bit, I had about 3/4 force close of applications, and without any action, the Task manager was appearing every 10 sec.

Any idea ?

brendonlee

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I installed cyanogen 7.2 (KANG) last week and I couldn't be happier. Awesome battery life and super fast.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

DroidBehavior

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
i only use miui but i ing love it

its soooo smooth and sexy, i love the free themes

for stability i cant say much, it hasnt crashed once/ lagged/ fc yet but i know others have

its basically as good as my stock in terms of use, my reception at home increased by 20db and i loveeee it

i would def just have her start with that, its minimalistic and simple

kind of like iphone if she likes that

Lawrence of a Labia

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,
I got a problem with this unnamed ROM. I installed it in v1.3.0 2 hours ago, and it drained my battery at 2% / minute !! It is now at 0% !
Also, during the time I could use it a bit, I had about 3/4 force close of applications, and without any action, the Task manager was appearing every 10 sec.

Any idea ?

Try downloading and flashing the rom zip again. A corrupted file might be causing the issues.

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
In what ways is UnNamed better/different from just rooting and leaving the stock ROM on it?
I am interested in this also..... just the top few differences/advantages/disadvantages. I am stock ROM rooted now, but will read up on UnNamed if it has a lot more to offer.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in this also..... just the top few differences/advantages/disadvantages. I am stock ROM rooted now, but will read up on UnNamed if it has a lot more to offer.

Looks-wise, it's not much different. The biggest aesthetic change is in the stock messaging app, but I use Handcent anyway, so that didn't matter much.

There are a lot of "under the hood" changes. The bloatware has been removed for the most part. And there are little changes, like being able to use the volume keys for the shutter on the camera (hold the button down and it auto-focuses, release to shoot the shot).

The biggie for me has been battery life. In the description on xda, it says a small improvement...but my real-world results have been better than that. In the course of a normal day at work, I'd get home with about 40% battery remaining with either the stock or rooted stock. But now I seem to get home with around 50-52% remaining with the same usage (roughly). I don't consider a 10% jump in battery life to be small. :)

YMMV, but I'm really liking it so far.

Reactions: markbc

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks-wise, it's not much different. The biggest aesthetic change is in the stock messaging app, but I use Handcent anyway, so that didn't matter much.

There are a lot of "under the hood" changes. The bloatware has been removed for the most part. And there are little changes, like being able to use the volume keys for the shutter on the camera (hold the button down and it auto-focuses, release to shoot the shot).

The biggie for me has been battery life. In the description on xda, it says a small improvement...but my real-world results have been better than that. In the course of a normal day at work, I'd get home with about 40% battery remaining with either the stock or rooted stock. But now I seem to get home with around 50-52% remaining with the same usage (roughly). I don't consider a 10% jump in battery life to be small. :)

YMMV, but I'm really liking it so far.
Thanks for the info. It seems to be a very popular and highly rated ROM. I took a peak at the info on the XDA thread you mentioned. [ROM] UnNamed v1.3.1 - (11/17/2011) - Improved battery life, a touch of ICS, and more - xda-developers I'll have to spend some time and read through the thread. It is a big one! This was my first Android OS phone so going to the stock ROM with root was a nice baby step. Maybe I'll play with UnNamed until ICS comes out for our phones.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It seems to be a very popular and highly rated ROM. I took a peak at the info on the XDA thread you mentioned. [ROM] UnNamed v1.3.1 - (11/17/2011) - Improved battery life, a touch of ICS, and more - xda-developers I'll have to spend some time and read through the thread. It is a big one! This was my first Android OS phone so going to the stock ROM with root was a nice baby step. Maybe I'll play with UnNamed until ICS comes out for our phones.

No problem at all, mtucker. I did exactly what you're doing. This is my first Android phone too and I'm coming from the 3GS (jailbroken) and 4S (which I've still got). I said I was going to go back and forth between the SGSII and 4S, but after using the SGSII for a week, I'm not so sure that's gonna be the case! :p

I took baby steps. Use the stock ROM for a while...then root and run a rooted stock...but that only lasted a couple of days...lol. I'm just a sucker for seeing what these phones can really do, and I'd heard nothing but good things about the UnNamed ROM, so I just went for it (with the help of a couple of people over at xda walking me through it).

Definitely check it out. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just make sure you follow the directions to the letter and everything should go perfectly. :)

polobreaka

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
^ good to see another MR member on here.

im also switching back and forth with an iphone (3gs - jb untethered ios 5). im currently running unnamed 1.3.1 on the sg2. with a full charge, im getting 22+/- hours with moderate usage. pretty darn good.

not to talk bad about MR, but android members seem to be more friendly and helpful. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech