I really do need your advice about BT headsets with the S2

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've read about them and read about them, but can't decide which one to get. I have an old Jawbone that was terrible and after reading in the Aliph forum about problems with Icon and Prime, I really want to look elsewhere. Who makes the best BT?

Good sound quality in and out.
A2DP, of course.
Can hear text and email notifications.
Can use a car charger vs just micro usb
6-8 hours call time
Doesn't feel like I have a sausage in my ear when I'm wearing it.
Doesn't look like I'm growing a new appendage when I'm wearing it.
Ability to disable any and all flashing lights
Ability to totally and completely control my phone through the BT

I'm heading out on a road trip to Carmel, CA next week and I really need to pick up a BT before then.

Thanks...

glorifiedsins

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I like my blueant..works well and not too costly. I'm currently using the t1 and it does pretty much everything you're looking for..as far as battery life..Ive used it for an hour a day for 7 days straight without any charging in between and it still has juice.

Reactions: tunie

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a Jawbone Era

Good sound quality in and out. - Yes
A2DP, of course. - Yes
Can hear text and email notifications. - Yes
Can use a car charger vs just micro usb - It's only micro USB
6-8 hours call time - 5 hrs talk time (you aren't gonna get much better unless it's gigantic
Doesn't feel like I have a sausage in my ear when I'm wearing it. - It's fairly comfortable, I forget I have it in sometimes. More like a cocktail wiener then a sausage.
Doesn't look like I'm growing a new appendage when I'm wearing it. - It's not the smallest but it's not overly large
Ability to disable any and all flashing lights - Has no flashing lights
Ability to totally and completely control my phone through the BT - It has options for what you can have the button do. Also can program numbers into the headset itself and then it reads those out to you when a call comes in. Long hold on the button on mine launches the voice control app on my GS2 from which you can control a lot of stuff.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wondering what problems people are having with jawbone. I've had all except the newest one and none have given me problems.

If you don't want jawbone look at the plantronics voyager pro.

Sent from my SGS II

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've read about them and read about them, but can't decide which one to get. I have an old Jawbone that was terrible and after reading in the Aliph forum about problems with Icon and Prime, I really want to look elsewhere. Who makes the best BT?

Good sound quality in and out.
A2DP, of course.
Can hear text and email notifications.
Can use a car charger vs just micro usb
6-8 hours call time
Doesn't feel like I have a sausage in my ear when I'm wearing it.
Doesn't look like I'm growing a new appendage when I'm wearing it.
Ability to disable any and all flashing lights
Ability to totally and completely control my phone through the BT

I'm heading out on a road trip to Carmel, CA next week and I really need to pick up a BT before then.

Thanks...

Gizmodo did a article recently on the 5 best BT headsets....check it out:

The Best Bluetooth Headset

Reactions: TwinSac and tunie

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Wondering what problems people are having with jawbone. I've had all except the newest one and none have given me problems.

Sent from my SGS II

Haven't had any issues with my Era. My old Icon had something go wrong with it after a year where touching it when on would cause it to restart. I think there was a short somewhere in it.

The app for android for the jawbone that shows the battery icon in the notifications area isn't very good and it often times disappears or fails to connect (even though the headset is connected to the phone and I'm speaking on it.)

Google Nav also has some issues with A2DP in general though when I swapped out to Power Amp for music player it and Nav are playing much nicer via A2DP.

All in all I like the Era quite a bit.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I like my blueant..works well and not too costly. I'm currently using the t1 and it does pretty much everything you're looking for..as far as battery life..Ive used it for an hour a day for 7 days straight without any charging in between and it still has juice.

This sounds good. Is there anything it doesn't do that you wish it did?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a Jawbone Era

Good sound quality in and out. - Yes
A2DP, of course. - Yes
Can hear text and email notifications. - Yes
Can use a car charger vs just micro usb - It's only micro USB
6-8 hours call time - 5 hrs talk time (you aren't gonna get much better unless it's gigantic
Doesn't feel like I have a sausage in my ear when I'm wearing it. - It's fairly comfortable, I forget I have it in sometimes. More like a cocktail wiener then a sausage.
Doesn't look like I'm growing a new appendage when I'm wearing it. - It's not the smallest but it's not overly large
Ability to disable any and all flashing lights - Has no flashing lights
Ability to totally and completely control my phone through the BT - It has options for what you can have the button do. Also can program numbers into the headset itself and then it reads those out to you when a call comes in. Long hold on the button on mine launches the voice control app on my GS2 from which you can control a lot of stuff.

First of all, cocktail weiner? Rofl! :)

I like the way you can launch the voice control app. Which one are you using? Also, can it read the names of people who call if they're in your phone book? I have many clients and I just can't remember whose number belongs to who. The notification announcement for texts and emails is great! Can it read the name if the person messaging you if they're in your phone book?

Thanks for the great info!

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my SGS II

I went to the jawbone forum and read about all sorts of issues. I think it's the minority, but I'm not sure. I had problems with mine and never complained in the forum. I was frustrated though because they didn't do anything to help me with my 4 month old, very expensive, broken jawbone, so mainly because of that I decided to stay away from them. Everyone on the other end complained about not being able to hear me. That seems to still be happening, with some of the devices anyway.

I'll check out the voyager pro. Thanks.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Haven't had any issues with my Era. My old Icon had something go wrong with it after a year where touching it when on would cause it to restart. I think there was a short somewhere in it.

The app for android for the jawbone that shows the battery icon in the notifications area isn't very good and it often times disappears or fails to connect (even though the headset is connected to the phone and I'm speaking on it.)

Google Nav also has some issues with A2DP in general though when I swapped out to Power Amp for music player it and Nav are playing much nicer via A2DP.

All in all I like the Era quite a bit.

I've read about the Jawbone working flawlessly with the iPhone, but that there are issues in using it with Android. Do you think that could be true?

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
@ tunie

The headset can store 15 numbers on it's internal memory. For example I programmed the headset to recognize my parents number so when they call instead of it going "Incoming call from 555-555-5555" it says "Incoming call from Dad". This only works for the numbers you store in the headset. It does not read from your contacts on your phone so you have to log into the jawbone website and update the list there.

I think the issue with the app not behaving is android specific. But the iPhone app was out for a solid year before the android one so that's probably the issue. The headset connects to the phone just fine it's just the additional battery meter on the phone doesn't always show up. Ended up just uninstalling the app cause I don't want more icons up in the notification bar anyways (too many to start with).

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I like the plantronics voyager pro for sound quality. Because of the mic positioning people can hear you really well at lower voice levels. I used to have the SE HBH-300 I think, that had the best sound quality but the mic was a bit long. I'm honestly thinking about the HM7000 or the Blueant. Let me know what you end up going with and how you like it!

glorifiedsins

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
This sounds good. Is there anything it doesn't do that you wish it did?

I wish the charging cable was longer..but its the typical micro USB/USB chord so I would imagine I couldn't use a longer one I have laying around but I haven't tried it yet. Other than that not really. The electronic siri like voice could be more human lol but its like that with all headsets.

Also not sure if this is part of your consideration but I got mine on sale at bestbuy for 50 bucks and I guess its normally around 70 which is still pretty cheap for all it can do. Here's the product specs

http://www.myblueant.com/products/headsets/t1/

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Jawbone Icon and I have no problems with it, sound quality is decent. It only cost about $45 from Amazon.. or at least when I bought it.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I assume it's a2dp, so how does music sound through it? Also, do calls and notifications come through it while keeping the phone itself, silent?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
@ tunie

The headset can store 15 numbers on it's internal memory. For example I programmed the headset to recognize my parents number so when they call instead of it going "Incoming call from 555-555-5555" it says "Incoming call from Dad". This only works for the numbers you store in the headset. It does not read from your contacts on your phone so you have to log into the jawbone website and update the list there.

I think the issue with the app not behaving is android specific. But the iPhone app was out for a solid year before the android one so that's probably the issue. The headset connects to the phone just fine it's just the additional battery meter on the phone doesn't always show up. Ended up just uninstalling the app cause I don't want more icons up in the notification bar anyways (too many to start with).

The Era sounds good. If your phone is on silent, can you still hear the phone ring and notifications? I do wish it could read off my contact list, but I guess none of them do that.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Jawbone Icon and I have no problems with it, sound quality is decent. It only cost about $45 from Amazon.. or at least when I bought it.

I've heard that you can't stop the phone from ringing and making notification sounds even when you're Icon is connected. Is that true? I don't know if hearing a number read to me while my phone is ringing at the same time will work for me. I wear my BT in meetings a lot so I can hear text messages, reminders, etc. without disturbing anyone in the meeting. That means I have to be able to control the sound on the BT separate from the phone. I read that you can't do that with the Icon. Is that wrong?

<edit> I ran out and grabbed one at Costco and it's pretty nice. The sound quality is really good. I only have a few problems with it.

1) The notification sounds and ringing comes out of both the phone and the headset at the same time, though the headset is a bit delayed. I always enjoyed that I could be in meetings or shopping and have my phone be silent while still getting all phone call and notification sounds through my BT. I don't understand why anyone would want to have sound coming out of both at the same time. The phone rings while a voice is reading the phone number to me. It's kind of disturbing, for me anyway. I can't use it in meetings because, if I silence the phone, it also silences the Icon.

2) The second thing is, it won't read out names from my contacts list. This is kind of a problem since I deal with so many people. I can't remember everyone's phone number.

3) The other thing is, I guess you can't mute a call or pause music from the headset. Pausing music is no big deal, but mute, for me anyway, is really important.

4) I love the technology for noise cancellation but, with the Icon, you can only do either volume -or- noise assassin. I can only change the option from my PC? I don't understand that either because, when I'm driving, I need to be able to adjust the volume but would like to switch to noise assassin if it gets noisy. With the Icon, I can't do that.

It seems the Era isn't much different from the Icon. I don't know...maybe all this is a function of the S2 and has nothing to do with the JB. Hard finding answers out there.<end edit>

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I wish the charging cable was longer..but its the typical micro USB/USB chord so I would imagine I couldn't use a longer one I have laying around but I haven't tried it yet. Other than that not really. The electronic siri like voice could be more human lol but its like that with all headsets.

Also not sure if this is part of your consideration but I got mine on sale at bestbuy for 50 bucks and I guess its normally around 70 which is still pretty cheap for all it can do. Here's the product specs

T1 Rugged Bluetooth Headset - BlueAnt Wireless

I'm going to check that out right now. Thanks. <edit> Hey this looks great! It reads out up to 2000 names out of my contacts! That just floats my boat! How does the music sound? Also, can you pause it from the BT or do you have to do that from the phone? Either way, I can live with that. Also, can you mute calls? Does it work with Vlingo? It reads out text messages, but does it read out emails as well? Sorry for all the questions. I can't get all this info from the site and I just want to be sure it works well with the S2. I really appreciate the help.:)

I think I'm getting closer!

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I like the plantronics voyager pro for sound quality. Because of the mic positioning people can hear you really well at lower voice levels. I used to have the SE HBH-300 I think, that had the best sound quality but the mic was a bit long. I'm honestly thinking about the HM7000 or the Blueant. Let me know what you end up going with and how you like it!

I've seen a few recommendations for the Plantronics and the issues or complaints didn't seem to be major. Can you hear the phone ring and notification alerts through it without any sound coming out of the phone? Can you listen to music?

So many of the BT's I've read about work great on some phones, but they don't all work well on the S2. Finding which ones do has been a real chore:)

I'll check out the Plantronics! Thanks...