Members;

I must say this is a great site. I am new to Android coming from IOS (jailbroken). I love the Android platform and my Galaxy SII running on AT&T. I want to root the phone and get a ROM but I am looking for basically a stock ROM as really all I want to do is tether. I am hoping one of you can/will recommend a stable basically stock ROM? I am feeling comfortable with rooting the phone based on this forum and videos I have been watching, but a step by step guide recommendation might make me more confident.

Thanks in advance.
    11-07-2011 09:44 AM
    I guess I could root it and leave the stock ROM on the phone. Then get the tethering app along with Titanium Backup?
    11-07-2011 10:11 AM
    I guess I could root it and leave the stock ROM on the phone. Then get the tethering app along with Titanium Backup?
    That is exactly what I did. Touchwiz 4.0 is working fine for me and if you root with the stock ROM you don't get the exclamation point on bootup. See #2 root option here on XDA **AT&T SGS2 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQS)** - xda-developers The link for #2 (root with stock ROM) is more complicated than it should be since their directions are mostly for Linux users. Rooting with Odin (a Windows program) is very easy. Dig through the XDA posts to know what you are getting into. I spent a few hours reading through and once I was ready to go it took about five minutes to root with the stock ROM.
    11-07-2011 12:09 PM
    @ mtucker....thank you for the info.

Any other suggestions out there?

If I root, do I have to put ROM on it if I am fine with Touchwiz 4.0? Can I simply root and that is it? Again, I am looking to tether right now....the other parts of my phone I am happy with....at this point.

Thx!!
    11-07-2011 12:58 PM
    @ mtucker....thank you for the info.

Any other suggestions out there?

If I root, do I have to put ROM on it if I am fine with Touchwiz 4.0? Can I simply root and that is it? Again, I am looking to tether right now....the other parts of my phone I am happy with....at this point.

Thx!!
    The way I understand the stock ROM root (that I linked to in my last post) is you are taking the stock ROM that someone has already rooted and putting that on your phone. So yes, you are putting a ROM on it but it is the stock ROM pre-rooted. Your phone doesn't complain (exclamation mark at bootup) because it is the stock ROM, but you have root access now. The main things that I have done since rooting is
    1. Downloaded wifi tether so I can make a wifi hotspot for my HP Touchpad
    2. Used Titanium Backup to freeze the bloatware apps that I didn't want and to do a backup of my phone
    3. Got rid of that awful AT&T boot up animation. I HATED that thing! I now have the original GSII animation (circling blue dots that come together to form the Galaxy S symbol).
    11-08-2011 12:17 PM
    @mtucker - thanks for the info. I will be working on this over the weekend.
    11-08-2011 08:58 PM
    @mtucker - how do I change the boot up animation after rooting? I suppose I could do a search of how to do this, but you may have a direct link for me.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    11-08-2011 09:04 PM
    @mtucker - how do I change the boot up animation after rooting? I suppose I could do a search of how to do this, but you may have a direct link for me.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    If you are using the stock ROM, then it will only support boot animations in the .QMG format (a proprietary file type). If you use another ROM, then you have more options. The original GSII boot animation is pretty nice though and of course in the .QMG format.

The location of the stock boot animation is at System/Media
    You will be replacing the two files called bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg
    Here is the thread on XDA. The link for the two files is in the first post [MOD] Galaxy SII (S2) Boot animations - xda-developers
    11-08-2011 11:28 PM
    Keep in mind that most if not all custom roms out right now keep Touchwiz included, so you wouldn't be losing that if you switched. I highly recommend trying some custom ones out for the tweaks and bonuses.

I'm currently using Unnamed 1.2.0
    11-09-2011 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD