12-29-2011 06:43 PM
34 12
tools
    Count me as another recent convert. I am still in my first 30 days, so i am not totally sold. I would say I love 80% of the S2, but the 20% is just KILLING ME. Wonder if other people have these problems, whether you are a convert or not....

1. Why didn't they put the SEND button ABOVE the attachment button in the compose text screen? This is a big deal when I type in landscape mode as I have to scroll to get to the SEND button. Surely the SEND button is used more than the attachment button. That is a terrible interface design. I can live with it, but it is basic.
    2. When in compose email screen and typing in a recipient, the pop up box listing suggestions doesn't fully display. It stops short of the keyboard, which I understand, but it also doesn't full show the first suggestion. Just the top half of the letters which isn't helpful. Again, terrible user interface design.
    3. OS LAG big time when dealing with contacts and for the first time today calendar appointment. Took me over 10 minutes due to OS lag to create the simplest of appointments. No invitees, nothing special. The lag seems to be most prominent when I am dealing with contacts and trying to select or look-up someone. I don't think 772 contacts is that unsual, so I wonder whey this is a big problem for Android.
    4. No RANDOMizer in the stock music player. Easy fix by installing WinAmp, but that is a very lame oversight by Android.
    5. In compose email screen, Attach, Send and Insert are at the bottom of the screen. When I am forwarding or replying to an email, this is a huge issue because I have to scroll to the bottom of the message before I can hit send. No fun with business emails that are long-threaded.

I miss terribly the notifications customization and flexibility with the BB, but I will learn to deal with it. Bedside mode, where ONLY a phone call made any noise, was invaluable for a guy on-call every night. I can get past this, but I do miss it. This is the only comparison to BB I will allow myself as I don't want to be "that" guy. I have made the switch, but would like to get this lag issue fixed more than anything else.
    I have asked this in another forum...I can get an upgrade today. I am a very longtime BB user and currently have the Torch. Should I make the change to the SGII or SGIISR or stay on the BB platform? I like a lot of things about the BB but on the reverse, I HATE a lot of things about the BB. I am about 90% on the android train already, just need a little push.
    12-01-2011 07:27 AM
    Do it. You have 30 days to return the phone. They give you that safety net, use it. Just use the phone real hard real quickly and then let it settle in with you for 3 weeks and give yourself that final week to make a decision. Tell yourself before you do it that will give it AT LEAST 3 weeks. Don't make a decision 3 days into it.
    12-01-2011 11:21 AM
    Count me as another recent convert. I am still in my first 30 days, so i am not totally sold. I would say I love 80% of the S2, but the 20% is just KILLING ME. Wonder if other people have these problems, whether you are a convert or not....

1. Why didn't they put the SEND button ABOVE the attachment button in the compose text screen? This is a big deal when I type in landscape mode as I have to scroll to get to the SEND button. Surely the SEND button is used more than the attachment button. That is a terrible interface design. I can live with it, but it is basic.
    As for the messaging layout, you should go get something like Handcent or GoSMSPro from the market and use that instead of the native messaging app. I use GoSMSPro and love it for texting. It puts the send button right next to the text youre typing.
    2. When in compose email screen and typing in a recipient, the pop up box listing suggestions doesn't fully display. It stops short of the keyboard, which I understand, but it also doesn't full show the first suggestion. Just the top half of the letters which isn't helpful. Again, terrible user interface design.
    Not sure, I dont use my phone for email much (i basically use it for receiving but not sending), but again, there are plenty of 3rd party mail apps, Im sure theres one that you will feel more comfy with if you look around.
    3. OS LAG big time when dealing with contacts and for the first time today calendar appointment. Took me over 10 minutes due to OS lag to create the simplest of appointments. No invitees, nothing special. The lag seems to be most prominent when I am dealing with contacts and trying to select or look-up someone. I don't think 772 contacts is that unsual, so I wonder whey this is a big problem for Android.
    I havent experienced any OS lag whatsoever, Ive had my phone about 3 weeks, so Im not sure what to tell ya there. I have about 225 contacts, and havent used the calendar app for appointments.
    4. No RANDOMizer in the stock music player. Easy fix by installing WinAmp, but that is a very lame oversight by Android.
    You already found the shuffle
    5. In compose email screen, Attach, Send and Insert are at the bottom of the screen. When I am forwarding or replying to an email, this is a huge issue because I have to scroll to the bottom of the message before I can hit send. No fun with business emails that are long-threaded.
    See above - try some 3rd party mail apps

I miss terribly the notifications customization and flexibility with the BB, but I will learn to deal with it. Bedside mode, where ONLY a phone call made any noise, was invaluable for a guy on-call every night. I can get past this, but I do miss it. This is the only comparison to BB I will allow myself as I don't want to be "that" guy. I have made the switch, but would like to get this lag issue fixed more than anything else.
    12-01-2011 12:21 PM
    Look at apps such as Locale and Llama to automate things such as a bedside mode function...I also use Alarm Clock Plus that activates the clock and dims the screen when I dock (only after 11pm, a setting you can change).

I've found a virtual keyboard I like (Smart Keyboard Pro - has custom auto-text), and I've found ways to get by without LED notifications...you can try things like NoLED for visual notification, and/or Missed Message which provides audible reminders at decreasing intervals...lots of options depending on what works for you...
    Can you post a link to what dock you use? This is something I think Im gonna need.
    12-01-2011 12:22 PM
    I have asked this in another forum...I can get an upgrade today. I am a very longtime BB user and currently have the Torch. Should I make the change to the SGII or SGIISR or stay on the BB platform? I like a lot of things about the BB but on the reverse, I HATE a lot of things about the BB. I am about 90% on the android train already, just need a little push.
    Dude, nobody but you can make this decision. Id take Gonzos advice and give it a spin for a few weeks.

There are still things I really miss about my BB, like ease of messaging with physical keyboard, LED, bedside mode, charging contacts/charging cradle...

But on the flipside, there are SO many things my SGII does better than my BB. Almost everything, really. Its just a matter of which pros and cons on each device you are willing to deal with. For me, the pros outweighed the cons by a mile. Im still getting used to the OS, and still have trouble finding certain settings sometimes, but the 2 things I use my phone for the most are messaging and internet...this phone does internet 1000x better/faster than BB, so I can deal with the messaging not being as good as it was on my BB.

One of the biggest differences since I got this phone, is my discovery and use of voice activated stuff. I use it constantly from everything to google searches, to self memos, to making calls to texting...especially while driving. The voice recognition isnt perfect, and sometimes I have to re-enter the body of a message to get it right (you have to speak clearly), but its really cool and something I didnt think Id ever embrace. Its not as amazing or intuitive as Siri on the iPhone, but its pretty sweet still and Im sure it will be constantly improving.

Lastly, apps. Wow. I think the most apps I ever had on my BB was about 23. Right now I have over 50 on my SGII and Ive only had my phone for 3 weeks. Every time I open up the Market app, I find something to download and try. If youre used to BB App World, the Android Market app will blow you away at how fast it downloads and installs apps, as well and the seemingly endless selection. Just amazing.

Bottom line, every day I think to myself what an amazing device this is, I have zero regrets about making the switch. I say go for it and see for yourself.
    12-01-2011 12:35 PM
    Took the plundge. Have been playing with the SGII for about four hours now...what a fine piece of electronics. Looking forward to playing with this for the next few weeks and forgetting about my BB.
    12-01-2011 09:01 PM
    I just upgraded from a 9700, and I was BB LOYALIST. It was very hard for me to switch, but let me tell you, the words "Blackberry" and "Galaxy S II" don't belong in the same sentence. I still cannot believe how good this phone is. I'm even getting used to typing on the keyboard and starting to fly.

GET. THIS. PHONE.
    12-02-2011 08:40 AM
    I just upgraded from a 9700, and I was BB LOYALIST. It was very hard for me to switch, but let me tell you, the words "Blackberry" and "Galaxy S II" don't belong in the same sentence. I still cannot believe how good this phone is. I'm even getting used to typing on the keyboard and starting to fly.

GET. THIS. PHONE.
    24 hours in and I agree 100%. This thing is amazing. I am also glad that I went with the SGII over the SGIISR. I still cannot believe how smooth the GUI is.
    12-02-2011 06:46 PM
    2 weeks ago I sat on and broke my LG VU PLUS. I have a bony butt. I got my 1st Smartphone a day later: Samsung Captivate Glide. I wanted/needed a physical keyboard. But after researching I decided to go with the GS2. I've had it for 3 days and I don't know why I didn't have a smartphone sooner! Well... price. That's why.

I hated the touchscreen keyboards. I used/downloaded many keyboards (Go, Samsung, Android, and two others I can't remember). I finally tried the SwiftKey trial version and it's amazingly accurate.

My favorite features are the symbols on top of the letters which can be activated by long press. You can also adjust the long press delay. I set mine to 300ms. And it's prediction algorithm is fantastic.
    It's not free but its the only keyboard that has worked well enough for me.

Look at how I butchered this word and Swiftkey accurately predicted what I wanted to type.

After 3 days of customizing my home I'm pretty pleased with my setup so far.
    12-29-2011 06:43 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD