So I bought the iphone 4S on launch (so oct 14), and am thinking about getting the GSII. I've had Android's before from the OG evo, to the epic, evo 3D, and shift. I am within my 30 days for the return which is where my question comes in. I bought the iphone from apple.com, so I'm assuming I can't go to the ATT store and just do a swap. So how would I be able to return the phone, get my upgrade back (I opened a new line with the 4S) and get the GS2 contract price?

Thanks
    11-09-2011 01:33 PM
    I would ask the people at the AT&T store what to do. If it means they would get a sale (and commission) from you, a sales rep should be willing to map out a course of action.
    11-09-2011 01:47 PM
    Yea. I was just hoping someone went through this because doing it in my head I'm assuming there going to tell me to ship it back to apple, which means that i will be left with out a phone for a while, which can not happen.
    11-09-2011 01:52 PM
    It appears that some people have been successful in returning their iPhones to an Apple Store, even though they purchased on Apple.com. You might want to try it if you have an Apple Store nearby.

From Oct 19 Apple.com

>>When my iPad 2 was preordered online I returned it a day after receiving it and the manager at the Apple store accepted it. I told her that Apple had told me that I can't return it in the store and she smiled replying "Don't listen to them, you can do anything if you ask politely".<<

Otherwise, I found this in an Apple.com forum...

>>>I was in the same situation, returned my iphone the day I got it via fedex *apple paid for shipping* and contacted ATT, told them I have returned the phone and told them I need my 2 year reset because I was in desperate need for a new phone. I gave ATT my RMA # and fedex tracking # for confirmation, and the lady got a supervisor to reset the 2 year agreement. I was able to get a new phone same day.<<<

Seems like a fairly painless process:-) Hope this helps!
    11-09-2011 02:13 PM
    When AT&T does a warranty exchange they warn you that if you dont send back the phone they will charge your bill full MSRP for the phone. I had 3 exchanges on my Captivate..

So proving it was sent back as mentioned in above post and them being able to bill you at MSRP if you dont send the phone back.....means they should help
    11-09-2011 02:17 PM
    Well I rather not send it back by mail. I do have an apple store near me, but I was just wondering how the process would work.

Like, I have the 4S, I assume i"d go to the apple store, tell them to deactivate it. But how would I tell ATT that I do not have the 4S anymore, and need my upgrade price back? Also would i be charged anything extra for doing so? Would I have to pay another activation fee, and if so can I do so in the ATT store when buying the new phone instead of having it billed?
    11-09-2011 02:49 PM
    also would i even be able to deactivate and return the 4S without having to put another phone onto my line?
    11-09-2011 03:12 PM
    According to Apple's return policy, you can't return an iPhone to Apple Store if you bought it online from apple.com. What the woman above did was, called Apple, told them she wanted to return the phone. They gave her an RA# and Fedex# and sent the phone off. Apple called AT&T to tell them the phone was being returned and to cancel the upgrade. The girl then called AT&T and gave them the Fedex tracking # and RMA # as confirmation that she'd mailed the phone. AT&T canceled her upgrade and she got a new phone the same day. In your case, you would just call AT&T, give them the proof that you mailed the phone back to Apple and ask them to cancel your upgrade.

If you upgraded less than 30 days ago, then your new contract would be canceled and it would revert back to your original contract. In some cases, AT&T only allows cancellation of your new contract within 14 days in order to avoid cancellation fees. I know at Costco, it's 30. I think your best bet is to discuss this with AT&T after you send your phone back to Apple.
    11-09-2011 04:29 PM
    According to Apple's return policy, you can't return an iPhone to Apple Store if you bought it online from apple.com. What the woman above did was, called Apple, told them she wanted to return the phone. They gave her an RA# and Fedex# and sent the phone off. Apple called AT&T to tell them the phone was being returned and to cancel the upgrade. The girl then called AT&T and gave them the Fedex tracking # and RMA # as confirmation that she'd mailed the phone. AT&T canceled her upgrade and she got a new phone the same day. In your case, you would just call AT&T, give them the proof that you mailed the phone back to Apple and ask them to cancel your upgrade.

If you upgraded less than 30 days ago, then your new contract would be canceled and it would revert back to your original contract. In some cases, AT&T only allows cancellation of your new contract within 14 days in order to avoid cancellation fees. I know at Costco, it's 30. I think your best bet is to discuss this with AT&T after you send your phone back to Apple.
    So would it be a better idea to sell the phone on ebay? This way i can just come into att amd have money to buy a new phone and at the same time deactivate the iphone so i can send it out. And that way i wont have to cancel my contract right ?
    11-09-2011 08:06 PM
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish. Do you just not want to deal with shipping the phone back to Apple? If so, then yeah. You can sell it on Ebay, but your upgrade is gone. That means, you'd have to buy an unlocked phone not linked to a carrier. Depending on the phone, that can run into some money. Although, I know some folks have gotten a pretty penny for their iPhones. You might want to check on ebay under closed auctions to see what they're getting for them now.
    11-10-2011 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD