Root Question

19mugsy

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I was checking out xdadevelopers forum and came across this thread:

[16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers

Which outlines DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit). Anybody of here used this exploit?

What I want to do is to root my ATT Galaxy SII, run the stock ROM and have the ability to tether.

If I run this exploit, it appears I will have a rooted phone? If so, mission 1 accomplished...root the phone. Will the phone be running on the stock ROM at that point? After using the exploit, should I install titanium backup?

Knowing that I want to root the phone to get tethering and I'm ok with running the stock ROM (at this point) is there anything else I should do our you recommend to keep this as safe/stable as possible?

Thanks for your time. I love this site.

Trandz#CB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The only way it won't be a stock ROM is if you actually install the ROM. Meaning, installing Clockwork, putting a ROM into the ROOT of your SD card, and than flashing it from recovery.

Hope I helped :)

litesout

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Go back to XDA and look for the faq post. There's a different root method that doesn't trip the flash counter. That way, if you take the phone back for warranty repair you can return to stock and hopefully they won't find out you voided the warranty by rooting it.

Once you have root, install titanium backup and remove the tethering manager. That prevents the phone from querying your service provider to see if your account has the tethering provision. Basically, it checks to make sure you're paying for tethering. This does not prevent the service provider from seeing that you're tethering.

Fair warning, if they find out they are within their rights to change your data plan to one that includes tethering. If you're on an unlimited plan, you may lose it. Not trying to scare you away, just informing you of the possible consequences.

Reactions: markbc

19mugsy

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
litesout...thank you.

I thought the method I linked to does not trip the flash counter. I thought I saw that there. Have you used this method?
Do you have the link you are referring to in you post?

Thanks again.

19mugsy

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I went back and read through he entire thread and pages 17 and 18 address the yellow triangle and boot counter. This root does not effect either....per the posts.

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Zergrush exploit does not trip the flash counter for rooting as you are not installed a new rom.
If you want to put clockworkmod on then there is a specific way to go about it that won't trip the flash counter, entropy describes it at xda forums (link below).

[GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers

I used zergrush to root mine then entropy's method to instal cwm and it worked fine. I'm running a stock rom with cwm right now and then a mod on top of that which gives me 5 columns instead of 4 in the applications drawer and 5 icons in the dock at the bottom of the screen (link below).

[MOD][11/5]Modified AT&T TouchWiz 4|5 icon dock|5 columns in app drawer - xda-developers

Also installed a better battery monitor since I hate the stock one. This one has percentage displayed up in the status bar (link below).

[MOD][STOCK ROM]Super Circle Battery Percentage(Version A, and others) UPDATED! - xda-developers

Reactions: markbc

19mugsy

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you KeiranSolaris. Get info. I do have another question for you...if I may...

Why would I want cwm? At this point I like the stock rom and don't really want to do much else other than tether. Is there a need for it or will the stock recovery work just fine.

Additionally, after root with the Zergrush exploit, what steps should one take to keep this as safe/stable as possible and backed up? What apps/procedures should one follow.

Again, thank you for your help.

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Cwm allows you to do a backup and then flash mods and roms (like to ones I mentioned earlier w/of imcrementing the flash counter.

As to stuff I'm running, I'm liking droidwall cause it let's me control apps access to the net.

19mugsy

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
So I really don't need cwm unless I want to start flashing roms? If I do the exploit, install/run titanium backup and install/run a tethering app (I am assuming it is an app), is there a need for cwm for me?

19mugsy

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Ran the exploit this morning. All good. Followed the directions and 4 minutes (if that long) later, rooted!!! Downloaded Titanium Backup, completed a backup. The downloaded adfree and got that running. Now continuing on to explore.

joeypasta

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I rooted 2 phones using this method! Thank You! It's much easier than doing the the method used in the sticky.

Using the method in the sticky; Odin would crash on my computer after hitting start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci