GSII or Skyrocket

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can change all but the app icon on the far right using touch wiz. You can use a launcher and change them all if you wish. Launcher pro uses 5 icons on the dock and you can have up to three docs if you wish. Lots of ways to customize.

Awesome thx. I use launcher pro on my aria now and love it. Just wondering if touch wiz is just as customizable.

PSUGradAtl

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
A couple questions:
1) Some are complaining about the Skyrocket's picture quality:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket/137053-screen.html
Is this a widespread issue or isolated to a few cases? One poster stated that it occurred on two consecutive units they used.

2) Is LTE still beneficial in a practical sense for typical smart phone usage (mail, browsing, music streaming, some movies) or are the benefits only if tethering is intended or large files are downloaded. Seems that if a lot of downloading is planned, I will try to use wifi which I suspect is faster than LTE. On the other hand, I realize wifi not always accessible...

latz333

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay - I really need some opinions here. I am getting either the SGII or the SGIISR tomorrow and would like to know which way to go. I live in Minneapolis so I am sure that we will be getting LTE here soon. I will mostly be using the phone for email, browsing the internet and listening to music both from google music and on the phone. I do not see downloading movies or any huge data files. Is it worth it to get the SR to be on the cutting edge of what is out there?

Also, I am one of those that has an upgrade every year so I am not all that concerned with keeping the phone for the next two years.

Any thought or comments would be greatly appreciated.

BugDad25

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
obviously depends on personal preference. However, I have the g s 2 and if I had to walk 2 blocks to exchange it for free skyrocket I wouldn't bother. Very happy here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching from BB to an Android phone. I'm interested in the SGII and the SGII SR. From what I can tell, the SGII SR has a longer talk time than the SGII. Is it worth it to get the SGII SR just for the talk time? I don't live in an area or will ever be in an area that has LTE. I've read that both phones should get ICS at some point. I'm also curious if either of the Galaxy phones have an notification light.

sailador

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching from BB to an Android phone. I'm interested in the SGII and the SGII SR. From what I can tell, the SGII SR has a longer talk time than the SGII. Is it worth it to get the SGII SR just for the talk time? I don't live in an area or will ever be in an area that has LTE. I've read that both phones should get ICS at some point. I'm also curious if either of the Galaxy phones have an notification light.

they dont have notification lights but you can always get noled. IMO, you cant really go wrong with neither of these phones. I am currently using the samsung galaxy s2. This phone is just blazing fast. I converted 4 of my co-workers from Iphone 4 to a Samsung galaxy s2 and they all love it lol

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Is noled an app? Is it free? I would miss not having a notification light. I know I'll have a little bit of a learning curve going from the BB to Android. I do love my Motorola Xoom tablet though.

sailador

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Is noled an app? Is it free? I would miss not having a notification light. I know I'll have a little bit of a learning curve going from the BB to Android. I do love my Motorola Xoom tablet though.

yes it is an app and it is free on the market. Seriously I think it is better than the led notification. When it flashes you know exactly what kind of message or email you missed

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Honestly its all personal preference I prefer the smaller size in the sgs2 and the fact that it uses the exynos processor over the quallcom chip plus I suspect it will be easier for Samsung to update the s2 to ics seeing its closer to the original than the skyrocket

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've researched a lot over the last couple days. I think I'm just going to have to go and check it out at a store and go from there. I'm excited about it. I don't think I can go wrong with either one.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I switched after 7 years with BB. Battery life is nothing compared to BB, but then with a BB, you can't do as much, and you don't have that -incredible- huge screen. The screen uses a lot of the battery. No notification light still bothers me. I used BeBuzz on my BB. I loved it! I could look at my phone and know exactly who called me just by the notification light. NoLED works, but nothing like the BB led notification light. NoLED flashes colored icons on the screen. Hard to believe Samsung excluded an led notification light from their phones, but not a deal breaker for me. I've gotten used to it. There are some great ideas in here for extending battery life, so that may help. I don't think you can go wrong with either the S2 or SR. You can always upgrade through Costco and take advantage of their 90 day return policy. Their prices are usually much better than some of the stores. 90 days would give you some time to see if the phone will work for you. There may not be a good substitute for actually trying one out.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I went and checked out the Galaxy SII and the Sky Rocket. I like the Galaxy SII better. I'm not impressed with the ringtones on the phone. Is there a free app that has better ringtones? I asked the salesman if the phone was quad-band or tri-band. He said it was quad but AT&T's site says tri-band and Samsung I believe said it was quad.

sailador

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I went and checked out the Galaxy SII and the Sky Rocket. I like the Galaxy SII better. I'm not impressed with the ringtones on the phone. Is there a free app that has better ringtones? I asked the salesman if the phone was quad-band or tri-band. He said it was quad but AT&T's site says tri-band and Samsung I believe said it was quad.

lol....ringtones are the last thing you really need to care about. You can get thousand of them with the Zedge app

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
After thoroughly debating between the Original GSII and Skyrocket, I pulled the trigger on the Original GSII. What greatly influenced my decision was the processor. From the reviews I watched on the Skyrocket, the browser just doesn't seem as smooth as the Original. I have heard nothing but amazing things about the Exynos processor.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Isthe gs2, the sgh i777?

For AT&T yes , the i777 is the Samsung Galaxy S II

After thoroughly debating between the Original GSII and Skyrocket, I pulled the trigger on the Original GSII. What greatly influenced my decision was the processor. From the reviews I watched on the Skyrocket, the browser just doesn't seem as smooth as the Original. I have heard nothing but amazing things about the Exynos processor.

When I was looking at purchasing there were a few things that pushed my decision to the i777. First was the size factor,even though the OG GS2 is only slightly smaller, that slight difference made it more comfortable for me to single hand browse since I do not have giant hands. Second was the specs were slightly better IMO on the i777. The final reason that pushed me was that just through looking at the various android forums on the web I could see the i777 had far more software support from users. This is a nice bonus that would make noobing it up a lil easier :)

Reactions: nonie

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
But now do you want the GSII, the GSII Skyrocket or the GSII Skyrocket HD?

If this were any other phone than the GSII, I'd be kinda ticked off at AT&T for introducing two new models in under three months.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
If they didn't name them GSII people wouldn't be so angry - and they should not have named these GSII because NOTHING about the Skyrocket or Skyrocket II is deserving of the name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox