GSII or Skyrocket

MrMercedes

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't make your decision on that alone. Personally I love my SGSII. I went into At&t to check out the SR and I didn't like how wide it was. As far as I'm concerned, ICS is not all its cracked up to be.

Gary86

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't make your decision on that alone. Personally I love my SGSII. I went into At&t to check out the SR and I didn't like how wide it was. As far as I'm concerned, ICS is not all its cracked up to be.

Good point. Either way few questions:

How do I get my pics from iPhoto and music from iTunes onto this phone? All my computers are MacBooks. Also, how do I transfer my contacts off my computer.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=21.345160,-157.898958

Emcee

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Good point. Either way few questions:

How do I get my pics from iPhoto and music from iTunes onto this phone? All my computers are MacBooks. Also, how do I transfer my contacts off my computer.

---
I am here: Google Maps

Import them to your Google account and they'll sync to the phone.

As for the phones, I'm sure the GSII will get it first but not by much.

For music, you have options. I think Doubletwist works with iTunes, and I bet there's others. I personally use Winamp for my music player now, but I came from a Focus/Zune.

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
How much are you willing to pay?

If you have plenty of money maybe the skyrocket. Wanna save some money, Infuse too bad. But personally I went with the Galaxy SII because I hear that Ice Cream Sandwhich is kinda a really hot mess. You love looking at it, then on the next screen, not so much. So I'll wait for the Galaxy S II ICS update to see if they fix any of this stuff.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I copied all my music out of iTunes, converted it to mp3s and just moved the folder of new files onto the phone. My GSII has almost no contact with my Macs.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Im guessing the SR will get ICS before the GSII but as the other poster states that shouldnt be the deciding factor for you.
As far as contacts go I have always used google for that so I cant be much help in that department. For pictures and my favorite songs I just dragged and dropped to the micro sd card. For the rest of my songs (as a former iphone user I have all my music in itunes) I uploaded them to google music from itunes and it streams to my phone flawlessly. So now I have my absolute favorites stored locally in case Im somewhere w/o a signal or wifi (which never happens but w/e) but I can stream my whole library when I do have a signal or am in a wifi area. It took forever to upload the library but now that its there it sure works slick. Anything drm-free does not need to be converted whether you are storing on your sd card or streaming from google music.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the skyrocket will get ICS first. It's not as "universal" as the regular sgsii. We have an international version that will get it first. Ours is the closest to the international version.

If you keep your phone for the contract term get the skyrocket.

And see the other threads for the full conversation.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=132330

Sent from my SGS II

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I was using an SGII (ATT loaned me the SGII) for about 3 weeks then got the SkyRocket. After just a few seconds I realized I did not like the Skyrocket as much. But I used it for about 2 weeks and yesterday I called ATT and told them I don't want to keep it and asked them to send me an SGII.

I like the bigger screen of the SR but can't say anything about the LTE speed since Raleigh, NC doesn't have LTE yet.

The SR is thicker and much heavier but does have a slightly bigger battery. The thickness and the weight is what made me go back to the SGII. I doubt I will miss the LTE when we get it since browsing and email won't be that much different other than larger attachments. I won't be using it as a hotspot either.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
LOL, skyrocket! I have 2 and a gsii. Nothing beats LTE! After the last update that has seemingly bumped up h+, enough said.

The only thing you have to watch is the hand down to h+ for voice calls.

smartdroid

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between an SGS II on AT&T or a Skyrocket.

Setting aside the issue of 4G/LTE, since that's not a top priority for me, I'm more interested in hearing from those of you who have owned an SGS II then switched to the Skyrocket.

What differences other than size, have you noticed in the display?

What are the pros and cons between the two?

I've Googled and read the reviews, but want to hear from real everyday users.

Trandz#CB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
GSIII's exynos processor is better, the screen looks better due to .2 inches less of stretching it has to do. More development support

Skyrocket has LTE going for it, and thats about it.

Reactions: smartdroid

smartdroid

May 9, 2011
Visit site
GSIII's exynos processor is better, the screen looks better due to .2 inches less of stretching it has to do. More development support

Skyrocket has LTE going for it, and thats about it.

OK, that makes sense about scaling of the display.

Another thing that comes to mind, I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan I've had for ages with AT&T. I'm sure that moving to an SGS II will have no effect and I will be able to retain the plan.

The question is: Does AT&T charge more for LTE data plans?

That said, it's not all that important because I truly have no interest until a year or so down the line once more coverage areas are lit up with LTE.

Thanks for the feedback :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No, the LTE plans are the same and if you can retain your unlimited for LTE although there are reports that they will throttle (slow down) your speed if you are in the top 5% of data users for a billing cycle.

There have also been reports that the SR is faster on non LTE networks (HSPA and HSPA+) than the SGSII. I have had both but live in an LTE area so the SR was a no brainer for me. Also I have heard much debate on the screen. Both phones have fairly low resolution (800 x 480) in comparison to many phones out there so, the difference in the 4.3 and 4.5 are overblown in my opinion. If screen resolution was really important I would think neither of these phones would do it for you and you would opt for the Galaxy Nexsus GSM model which has 1280 x 720. I think both of the phones screens look fine.

The SR has visual voicemail which I have not had since my iphone 3GS many years ago and I like having it back. When I had the SGSII it did not have it and do not know if it has it now.

The SR is a bigger phone and for me it is easier to hold. I know that is counter intuitive but that is what I found. And this last one will sound strange but I for the life of me could not accurately type on the SGSII keyboard. My texts and emails were horrible. The SR is much better for my spelling accuracy.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Can the docks apps be changed at all to be different from the stock "messages, phone, Web" ?

I use go SMS and miren browser, so can I put those in the home screens dock?

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the GSII and know that it and the SR both have 800x480 screen resolution. From comparison videos I have seen on youtube it looks like the SR screen has a slightly different aspect ratio; the GSII screen is tall and narrow and the SR screen is tall and wide relatively speaking. Those of you that have tried both phones, is this true? If so, which do you prefer?

Dmunjal

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Same aspect ratio. Only very good eyes can tell the difference between the two. If you have unlimited and will likely get LTE soon, get the Skyrocket. If you like development and games, get the SGS2.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Can the docks apps be changed at all to be different from the stock "messages, phone, Web" ?

I use go SMS and miren browser, so can I put those in the home screens dock?

Yes you can change all but the app icon on the far right using touch wiz. You can use a launcher and change them all if you wish. Launcher pro uses 5 icons on the dock and you can have up to three docs if you wish. Lots of ways to customize.