I am the Systems/Network Admin for a state university where I live. While I am the admin, the old admin is still my boss but now he just handles the business end (for example he deals with budgeting and determine who can get a machine upgrade and when) and then I would be the one to actually install the new machine and backup data from the old machine.

Anyway, the president of the university is strict about only having one set of keys for the IT department, and obviously they went to my boss. However, because I am the one that is actually doing the installations and such I usually get the keys from him in the morning and give them back before I leave, but sometimes I forget and after I get home from work I will notice his keys in my pocket and I will have to drive all the way back to work to give them back to him.

So, since I currently have an iPhone 4 I used the Reminders app to notify me to check for his keys before I get too far from work. In the two weeks that I have done this I have needed it more than a few times and I really want an app that can do that for the android.

Anyone know of one?
    11-18-2011 11:41 PM
    Nobody knows of one? An app that will give a notification when you leave or arrive at a GPS location?
    11-19-2011 01:40 PM
    i think you shud just check your pockets before you leave work, its not hard to remember that much

im not sure of an app but i dont understand how you can forget multiple times in just 2 weeks
    11-19-2011 04:25 PM
    i think you shud just check your pockets before you leave work, its not hard to remember that much

im not sure of an app but i dont understand how you can forget multiple times in just 2 weeks
    Do you check your pockets every day to make sure you didn't accidentally pocket something at work? The keys don't stick out enough that I can just feel that I have extra keys in my pocket.

I may have exaggerated how often it happens, but I would say AT LEAST once a month and I live 30 minutes from my work so it is a big deal if I have to go back. I would just set an alarm but I don't have the luxury of getting to leave work at the same time every day. Thats part of the problem, I leave work at 4:30pm or if I am busy at 4:30pm then I just leave whenever I finish whatever I am working on.

It may be sad that I need a reminder every time I leave work to check my pockets but the fact is I don't just remember on my own to check my pockets and the Reminders app in iOS5 works perfectly. I was just hoping that there would be something similar for Android for when I get a new phone in a couple weeks.
    11-19-2011 06:03 PM
    i did some googling and found out there are indeed gps based reminders on android however i read they task your battery

here is a similar thread that may help
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...-reminder.html

if i were you i wouldnt get an android if this is a big issue for you unless you are not worried about the battery drain, im sure you can turn it on and off at will but it sounds like you want something that works without bothering, in case you forget entirely

i dont think the drain will be that bad but dont take my word for it, my battery lasts a great deal even when heavily used, but i dont know how those gps reminders work
    11-19-2011 07:32 PM
    I am the Systems/Network Admin for a state university where I live. While I am the admin, the old admin is still my boss but now he just handles the business end (for example he deals with budgeting and determine who can get a machine upgrade and when) and then I would be the one to actually install the new machine and backup data from the old machine.

Anyway, the president of the university is strict about only having one set of keys for the IT department, and obviously they went to my boss. However, because I am the one that is actually doing the installations and such I usually get the keys from him in the morning and give them back before I leave, but sometimes I forget and after I get home from work I will notice his keys in my pocket and I will have to drive all the way back to work to give them back to him.

So, since I currently have an iPhone 4 I used the Reminders app to notify me to check for his keys before I get too far from work. In the two weeks that I have done this I have needed it more than a few times and I really want an app that can do that for the android.

Anyone know of one?
    why dont you use the calendar on the phone to remind you to give the key back everday. Just set it "please give key back before leaving" and mark it for everyday. Then get the biggest calendar widget and put it on the home screen
    11-19-2011 07:35 PM
    i did some googling and found out there are indeed gps based reminders on android however i read they task your battery

here is a similar thread that may help
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...-reminder.html

if i were you i wouldnt get an android if this is a big issue for you unless you are not worried about the battery drain, im sure you can turn it on and off at will but it sounds like you want something that works without bothering, in case you forget entirely

i dont think the drain will be that bad but dont take my word for it, my battery lasts a great deal even when heavily used, but i dont know how those gps reminders work
    Battery isn't an issue, like I said I work in IT so we have no shortage of micro USB cables lying around and I also have a car charger for my Garmin that is micro USB as well as a thing you plug in to the cigarette lighter that has a USB port so you can just plug in any USB cable. So, battery isn't an issue.

Its not enough of a deal to choose a different phone over, I have just accidentally taken his keys home a few times a month every month since I have started there but have not once taken them home since I started using the Reminders app because it will alert me by the time I get to my car to check for the keys.
    11-19-2011 07:47 PM
    why dont you use the calendar on the phone to remind you to give the key back everday. Just set it "please give key back before leaving" and mark it for everyday. Then get the biggest calendar widget and put it on the home screen
    I generally don't look at my phone before leaving work so that won't do, I really need some sort of audible reminder.

I also don't leave work at the same time every day so I can't just set an alarm.
    11-19-2011 07:58 PM
    If you're willing to leave GPS on, there's Tasker, which will perform to your requirements as well as a multitude of other capabilities. I think you could also set it to remind you if you leave a specific Wi-Fi field. There's a free trial available on their website, and the app itself runs about six bucks.
    11-19-2011 10:01 PM
    If you're willing to leave GPS on, there's Tasker, which will perform to your requirements as well as a multitude of other capabilities. I think you could also set it to remind you if you leave a specific Wi-Fi field. There's a free trial available on their website, and the app itself runs about six bucks.
    I leave GPS on all the time anyway, so I think I will give Tasker a try. Thanks!
    11-20-2011 01:43 AM
    There's also an app called Llama that uses cell towers (not GPS) to determine your location and automates activities similar to Tasker, just not as powerful as Tasker. For example, when I leave my house, Llama turns my wifi off, mobile data on, increases ringer volume, etc. And I just checked, it can set off reminders. https://market.android.com/details?i...JhYi5MbGFtYSJd
    11-20-2011 02:56 AM
    You can also try Locale, although sometimes it takes longer than it should to recognize you're outside the GPS zone you set.
    11-21-2011 06:29 PM
    I just tried Llama based on the prior recommendation. I really like that it uses cell towers for location (very easy on the battery). I have it turn off wifi when I leave home (after a 10 minute delay) and then turn wifi on immediately when I get home. Works great and is free.
    12-05-2011 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD