I am eligible for upgrade on December 6th, and with all of these sales on phones right now for the Black Friday week and some sales on phones are extending into December. Particulary, Wal-Mart has a sale on the phone I want for $100 PLUS you get a $100 gift card with purchase so it is essentially free.

Anyway, earlier this month I was worried that all the sales would be gone by December 6th because I have been having issues with my iPhone and I need a new phone but I still want to get as good a deal as possible. I called AT&T and asked about an early upgrade and they approved it, but they said that I would only be able to upgrade either at an AT&T store or over the phone with AT&T. Considering the phone I wanted was $50 cheaper at Wal-Mart (regular price, not a sale price) than at AT&T I told them that I would rather wait and save the money.

Thats when the AT&T rep told me that upgrades go by month, so if I am eligible for an upgrade on December 6th I can actually upgrade at any retailer on December 1st. I didn't quite believe them so I called back the next day, talked to someone else, and was told the same thing.

I then called my local Best Buy and Wal-Mart and they confirmed. This was all a couple of weeks ago BTW.

Now that it is coming close and Wal-Mart has a sale that ends on Dec. 3rd I called Wal-Mart again to verify and was told that NO, it had to be the exact date.

I am so upset right now. I have been counting on this and now I am going to end up having to pay $150 for a phone instead of getting it for free because I am 3 days too late?!?

Has anyone been able to upgrade during their month but before their exact date without having to do an "early upgrade"? If anyone feels like asking your Wal-Mart and AT&T stores about this and let me know what they say I would greatly appreciate it.
    11-27-2011 06:42 PM
    Yes, this is true. You can upgrade on the 1st.
    11-27-2011 10:36 PM
    Yes, this is true. You can upgrade on the 1st.
    Thanks, I REALLY hope this is true! I will definitely be going down there on the 1st to see.
    11-27-2011 10:37 PM
    It's true. One of my lines was available on Nov 22, and I noticed on the 3rd that I could use it.
    It's Walmart, they're not known for notoriously bright employees.
    11-28-2011 09:04 AM
    It's true. One of my lines was available on Nov 22, and I noticed on the 3rd that I could use it.
    It's Walmart, they're not known for notoriously bright employees.
    Thanks! I will go down there on the 1st and at least try to get my upgrade.
    11-28-2011 09:26 AM
    I did it, my wife's phone was up on 9/29, mine was up on 10/7, I walked in and got both phones in a ATT store, an actual corporate store, not a reseller, on 10/2. Not sure if authorized resellers can do the same. But the guy didn't even question me when I asked, walked back, got two phones and cashed me out.
    11-28-2011 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD