Hey everyone,

So I have had my GS2 for about a week now (I got in on black friday for 49.99 from radio shack). I've been really happy with my decision to upgrade to it from the iPhone 3GS. I have encountered one problem however. When someone sends me a text message with a picture, it comes in the form of a video, even though it is just a picture message. Has anyone ever encountered this problem or now how to correct it? I have gotten pictures from iPhones and non smartphones with the same result. Also, when I send a picture, if I got to view it, it does it in the same video type format.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    11-30-2011 11:17 PM
    I get this too but I never considered it a problem. Doesn't seem to have any negative result. Have I not noticed something?

Sent from my GT-P7510
    12-01-2011 01:08 AM
    Part of the problem is I can't save the picture/video file. When i click on the file, then select attached items and save, it says "attachment copied to SD card" But i dont have an SD card in my phone. So is there no way to be able to take a photo that is sent to me and save it to my photo gallery or something like that? I just dont understand why picture messages end up being video files, thats all
    12-01-2011 03:05 AM
    Save to SD card should save it to your phone. Unless you've tried and it doesn't work. The pic as video is annoying though since you can't zoom unless you save the pic and then go into your photo gallery.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    12-01-2011 07:24 AM
    Same as you, OP, I got my GSII over the weekend from Radio Shack and this is the ONLY issue I have with the phone. The good news is, if it's a bug, it's probably a software one and can be fixed by an update (though those are few and far between when you're talking Android vs. iOS).

Otherwise, I'm loving this phone. I just hope this was an oversight by Samsung and can be ironed out.
    12-01-2011 07:46 AM
    The phone had an internal sd card. The pic is saved in there somewhere.
    12-01-2011 07:49 AM
    I installed Handscent SMS and use that as my messaging app. Problem solved
    12-01-2011 08:17 AM
    There are numerous threads on this.

Use any of these different apps for your messaging and issue solved. Yes, you shouldn't have to, but that's the way it is.

Go SMS pro--I use this one and am quite happy with it.
    Handcent
    ChompSMS
    12-01-2011 08:58 AM
    There are numerous threads on this.

Use any of these different apps for your messaging and issue solved. Yes, you shouldn't have to, but that's the way it is.

Go SMS pro--I use this one and am quite happy with it.
    Handcent
    ChompSMS
    Yeah, I know that Samsung's messaging apps are on the sucky side. If you're rooted, you may be able to try the AOSP mms.apk. I have no problems viewing photos as photos in a picture message.
    12-01-2011 11:09 AM
    and to be technically correct, it IS still coming across as a picture, it is just being displayed as a slide show. Small technical difference, but the end result is the same as you have described.
    12-01-2011 11:18 AM
    Thank you very much for the replies. I found the picture on my phone, its interesting how then it will view it as an actual photo. I will look into those other messaging apps.
    12-01-2011 02:18 PM
    This isn't a technical issue at all. The phone isn't recognizing it as a video, it's playing a slideshow of the single photo. If you want to save the picture, you do it from the messaging app. Where you see the "Play" symbol over the photo in your threaded message, hold your finger down on the picture and it'll give you the option to save it. Problem solved.
    12-01-2011 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD