Blowing thru data like crazy.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Hello,
I have had my SGSII for about 2 months, last month on the last day of the billing cycle the phone burnt up 1.7 gigs of data while I was watching the LSU/Alabama football game. I was not using the phone as all my attention was on the football game. After that experience I did some research and found that there was an AP app that is an AT&T program that has caused some of the problems. I installed a data monitoring program called My Data Manager. The same thing happened twice this billing period so far. My Data Manager shows that a program called Streaming Media is using up data. One time was 2.3 gigs while I was at a funeral, so I wasn't using it at that time either, and I heard no music or other noises coming from my phone that would indicate that the phone was streaming music or videos. I called AT&T and talked with them about it, they were of little help other than to give me a $10 credit to offset one of the overages. I am about to go over for the third time as of this writing. I don't know what is causing it. I shut down all programs a couple of times a day with the task manager clearing ram function. I do know that streaming media is used by the web browser when watching a video thru the browser. I'm going to call AT&T again to see what is going on and demand another credit. Any help is appreciated. The Data Manager has not shown the AP program using data at all on my phone, just streaming media going crazy.

joeypasta

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I hear you on this! I rooted my phone (has helped some) everything is shut down.

I now shut down my data and only use Wife!

This phone sucks down too much data!

Wouldn't be a problem if data was unlimited. I have the 200mb for $15 a month plan.

My son also has a SGS2, and he went over on his data in less than 24 hours of activating the phone! Mostly on youtube.

I don't have the "AP mobile" problem either. On my rooted phone, it's been removed. On my son's unrooted phone, it's not running or using data.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
if you only have 200mb.. obviously you need to connect to wi-fi 99% of the time.. youtube videos can easily eat up 200mb of data.

As for the OP, I would try to get a hold of an iPhone 2G (first gen) and do the unlimited data loophole.. $30 for unlimited data is worth it.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
@run, my problem is that I'm not using the data. There is some program running in the back ground blowing thru data. Both times that it happened I was not using my phone. The phone has done it for a third time this month. $30 in overages this month. It would be a different story if I was streaming movies and audio all the time. But this is not the case. I am using the phone the same way I have used all my other phones, and I never got close to my data limit with any of my other smart phones. I'll give them (AT&T) another call, this is BS. I'll switch phones if needed. I like the phone but this is a major flaw for me. Streaming media is what is blowing thru data.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This is terrible! I don't have this problem. Maybe it's because I rooted and froze a bunch of bloatware, I don't know, but I would suggest rooting your phone and use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze all the bloatware apps you don't use. I also keep background data off; just turn it on when I need it like for the Market. I also turned off polling and synching for email and just do it manually. It is a bit of a pain, but I've gotten used to it. I have unlimited data, but I try to stay under 10G to keep AT&T from throttling me.

I just watched a 3.38 min video on YouTube and used 3.3mb, so that can't be your problem. Maybe it's Samsung's Media Hub? I froze that with Titanium. Honestly, I agree with paying for more data. 200mb isn't anything. The system alone probably eats through that before too long. If you don't want to pay for more data, I'd never use anything but Wifi.

Last edited:

Lawrence of a Labia

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
What other apps do you have installed? There could be one that's secretly being a data whore. I would try a factory reset and then install your apps one by one to see if you can isolate the problem.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Turn off mobile connection(4g) I have a gs2 on Tmobile and I use "Android assistant" to keep my 4g off so nothing uses my data up.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I saw Streaming Media on my phone, but it's used less than 1mb over the last 3 days. I think that might be part of Samsung's Media Hub, which I froze with Titanium Backup. It's a Streaming Media service. It wouldn't surprise me if it was running non-stop. Can you disable that and see if anything changes?

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Media Hub doesn't work for video/streaming/downloading if you are not on wi-fi... It must be connected to wi-fi for it to actually stream/download videos.. You can only browse the videos on 3G but can't watch or download.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
@Lawrence, The data monitoring program I have installed indicates which programs use data. The one using data is called Steaming Media and has a little icon by it that other system files have. I'll do a factory reset on it and see if that helps. I'm going to root it also but I can't get the codeworkx CWM recovery to unZip on my work computer correctly. Thanks for all the help.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I called again and the CS rep from AT&T and she said that I need to turn off WiFi when not connected to a WiFi. Something about it polling for a active WiFi connection and that leads to it using Data off of the wireless network. Anyone heard of this? IDK but I turned off my WiFi and will see if that helps. I'll also root it when I get a chance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01