Best email app for Android?

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to find an app that works for me close enough to what I am used to (iPhone). The Gmail app works OK but I have 5 email accounts and only one of them is Gmail. The stock email app was working great until I realized it wasn't updating my Gmail emails. Even pressing refresh wouldn't cause the emails to update. As far as I can tell it is working for my other email accounts though.

Upon the recommendation of a friend I downloaded K-9 mail which worked OK but it won't let me zoom out of large emails, I just have to "slide" around. The stock app lets me zoom out.

The zooming out issue is a dealbreaker, so if anyone knows if there is a setting in K-9 to allow zooming out of a message please let me know or recommend an app that allows this.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to find an app that works for me close enough to what I am used to (iPhone). The Gmail app works OK but I have 5 email accounts and only one of them is Gmail. The stock email app was working great until I realized it wasn't updating my Gmail emails. Even pressing refresh wouldn't cause the emails to update. As far as I can tell it is working for my other email accounts though.

Upon the recommendation of a friend I downloaded K-9 mail which worked OK but it won't let me zoom out of large emails, I just have to "slide" around. The stock app lets me zoom out.

The zooming out issue is a dealbreaker, so if anyone knows if there is a setting in K-9 to allow zooming out of a message please let me know or recommend an app that allows this.

What other email accounts do you have? I have only two. A gmail account, and a yahoo account. You can set gmail to check other accounts for you. I use the gmail app exclusively and I personally find that it works the best. I've used k-9 in the past, but I like the fact that gmail seems to work best with Android in general.

That's just my opinion of course.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
What other email accounts do you have? I have only two. A gmail account, and a yahoo account. You can set gmail to check other accounts for you. I use the gmail app exclusively and I personally find that it works the best. I've used k-9 in the past, but I like the fact that gmail seems to work best with Android in general.

That's just my opinion of course.

I actually just have 4 accounts because one is no longer active (an old school account), so I now have one Gmail, one yahoo, and two Exchange accounts (one for my work, one for my current school).

Gmail doesn't let me zoom out and most of my emails are too big to view on just the original screen without zooming out.

I did give K-9 another try and I found a setting to allow pinch to zoom and that is working now. I am having a little trouble setting up my email though (in the stock I just put in the email address and password and it did the rest).

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I am having a little trouble setting up my email though (in the stock I just put in the email address and password and it did the rest).

Hmm, what kind of problems are you having? I don't have exchange accounts, so I'm not sure what to do there. Assuming that you're having problems with the exchange accounts...

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, what kind of problems are you having? I don't have exchange accounts, so I'm not sure what to do there. Assuming that you're having problems with the exchange accounts...

Its my work and school accounts. They worked fine in the stock email app by just putting in my email address and password. With K-9 it asks for additional information but when I put in the information the school told me to put in it says unable to authenticate. As it stands I have to use K-9 for Gmail and Yahoo, RoadSync for my work email, and the stock email app for my school email. I tried to just use two but the stock app worked with my work email sometimes and sometimes it didn't.

I don't like the Gmail app at all, I would remove it but it says other apps depend on it and I would need to wipe the phone to remove it. I was able to tell it to stop syncing mail though.

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
MailDroid. It's the best IMO. The paid version is pretty pricey for a phone app though, so I'm still using the free one. If the dev would drop the paid to $4.99 or so, I'd jump on it. Anyway, I come from webOS which has an awesome mail app. None of the others I've tried came close. This one is closest, but it still has some wierd quirks using IMAP that I'd like to see worked out.

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
Its my work and school accounts. They worked fine in the stock email app by just putting in my email address and password. With K-9 it asks for additional information but when I put in the information the school told me to put in it says unable to authenticate. As it stands I have to use K-9 for Gmail and Yahoo, RoadSync for my work email, and the stock email app for my school email. I tried to just use two but the stock app worked with my work email sometimes and sometimes it didn't.

I don't like the Gmail app at all, I would remove it but it says other apps depend on it and I would need to wipe the phone to remove it. I was able to tell it to stop syncing mail though.

Gmail is essential. Stopping it is okay. As for your school settings, I'd go in the app that set it up automatically, and look at the settings in there then transfer those settings to any other apps you try. Make sure you check security and the ports too, not just the server names.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Gmail is essential. Stopping it is okay. As for your school settings, I'd go in the app that set it up automatically, and look at the settings in there then transfer those settings to any other apps you try. Make sure you check security and the ports too, not just the server names.

That worked great for my school email, but not my work email. They honestly have no idea why it doesn't work. I get an error saying that I am not entering a valid server address, but it is.

jakson0100

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I use enhanced email and dumped touchdown. Enhanced has a universal box and works amazingly for me. It also let's you view your exchange calendar onto your stock calendar app which I love. Lastly it disables the need for a password on exchange accounts. So you not only don't have to have a phone password, but you also don't have to have a password to open up your exchange account. It costs like 10 bucks I think and they have a 7 day trial on their website enhanced email.net.

matfam

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Enhanced Email. I could never get stock to handle my signature line properly and K9 was buggy with my work exchange server. Enhanced Email just works great for me. I don't know if it "zooms" or not.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
MailDroid. It's the best IMO. The paid version is pretty pricey for a phone app though, so I'm still using the free one. If the dev would drop the paid to $4.99 or so, I'd jump on it. Anyway, I come from webOS which has an awesome mail app. None of the others I've tried came close. This one is closest, but it still has some wierd quirks using IMAP that I'd like to see worked out.

Well I can say that while the Pro version is pricey it is very well worth the price. I was using the free version until under my Captivate kept freezing on an update with the free, I bought the pro and never had any issues. The free version uses more cpu time because of the ads but it is free while the pro version does cost $ 17.99 is well worth it in my opinion. I did try K9 but went back to maildroid *hell I used maildroid when it was in beta and loved it after coming over to android from blackberry*.

HTH,
Charlie

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol